forum-auditorium-gallery-4-1510111827 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.23.18 PM (resized).png
adfadf (resized).jpg
86EA7F2C-EEB5-44EB-907D-212C09CC069E (resized).jpeg
ECEF868C-0584-42C5-B33F-BB822B51BBB3 (resized).jpeg
33A0BADF-063D-4209-80B6-F6F5944818D0 (resized).jpeg
20180320_151529 (resized).jpg
190 (resized).jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

I get bummed hearing people say "They don't make good movies anymore." Like, sure, a lot of Hollywood blockbuster films can be pretty trash or in "seen it before" territory, but there's some pretty awesome films coming out. Maybe they're not marketed to the extent of Marvel films, but there's still fun to be had. In the past year, I've seen Isle of Dogs, Get Out, Good Time, Mother!, I Tonya, The Death of Stalin, Annihilation, and probably others that are escaping my mind.

I've seen an equal amount of movies that bore me or are forgettable, but that doesn't stop the interesting films from being worth my time.

PS - Moviepass is a bargain. Under $10 a month for 1 movie a day in theaters.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

Having been in the movie biz for nearly 40 years, even I don't go anymore as it's just too much dealing with the obnoxious patrons, uncomfortable seating and quite frankly shit product.

I used to really be into films. Had RCA Selectavision, Laser Disc, DVD, etc. I must have over a thousand films. But...the last 5 or so years...probably before that, the quality of films being made has plummeted. Maybe it's just me.

Then again, I notice that I thought it all started to suck when Seth Rogen came on the scene. Coincidence?

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

settling down with the wife & girlfriend and truly enjoying the show.

Wife AND girlfriend? You lucky dog you

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Can't stand listening to people eat. I fantasize the whole movie about how I'd like to brutally murder the guy eating Nachos behind me. I'll probably never go to the movies in my life again.

Very French.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

...but there's still fun to be had. In the past year, I've seen Isle of Dogs, Get Out, Good Time, Mother!, I Tonya, The Death of Stalin, Annihilation, and probably others that are escaping my mind.

Oooh...so close! You were making a strong case until you threw Mother! in there...

#106 6 years ago

I have hardly ever go over the last ten years and gave up several years ago. Boring movies, no plots, repetitive, all special effects, remakes of originals, acting sucks, graphics nothing special on big screen, camera shots jump around, etc. I have been done and see no return ever.

#107 6 years ago

I love watching movies and enjoy seeing a movie on the big screen but sadly people have ruined the experience a majority of the time. People texting, talking, checking their phones (very distracting) and even Face Timing. Yes, during one movie my wife and I had a guy in front of us start a live video chat with someone... The other night we went to see Game Night and sure enough the couple next to us talked through the whole movie.

It's a shame that some people can't be quiet and stay off their phones for 2-3 hours. As a result I much rather stay home and watch movies on my projector screen with surround sound.

#108 6 years ago

I did go watch Ready Player One in the theaters yesterday. My local theater now has a Premium Members express line for tickets and for the concession stand.......much like theme parks. I thought of this thread yesterday. I didnt mind waiting longer for my tickets, but the concession stand is a cluster now. 18.50 for a 2 pm showing (not 3d, not Imax) and 16 bucks for a medium popcorn and large drink. This is why I love Redbox....and a small theater room.

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Oooh...so close! You were making a strong case until you threw Mother! in there...

Mother! is fantastic, but it definitely has limited appeal. The people who are into movies like it would REALLY be into it, but I imagine 90% of the public would leave the film wondering what the hell they just watched.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Mother! is fantastic, but it definitely has limited appeal. The people who are into movies like it would REALLY be into it, but I imagine 90% of the public would leave the film wondering what the hell they just watched.

If they have ever heard of the Bible they'll probably figure it out pretty quick.

#111 6 years ago

Thank you to thedarkknight and to PoMC for sharing with us about MoviePass.
Never had heard about that before.
From reading online about it, it seems to be growing rapidly since around 4th Q 2017.

#112 6 years ago

Live in a small town with no theatre. I have a nice little home theatre set up, 60" on the wall, built in speakers in ceiling and walls, didn't go crazy (couple hundred bucks) on an amp. Subscribed to a vpn, yify torrents and 1080p works fantastic for me. Sorry (not sorry) i'm not spending the big bucks to head to spend my money but 60-75 bucks for my family of 4 to head to one movie every time, uhhh, no.

#113 6 years ago

Speaking of theaters...when are one of you guys going to retheme a Theater of Magic into Hellraiser for me?

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from Brad76:

We're getting to the point where movies are a redo of a redo of a redo...

Did you see "Get Out"?

Did you see "Three Billboards" ?

Or how about "The Big Sick"?

Plenty of totally original movies, if you are willing to see something not based on a children's comic book....

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you see "Get Out"?
Did you see "Three Billboards" ?
Or how about "The Big Sick"?
Plenty of totally original movies, if you are willing to see something not based on a children's comic book....

Yep, all of those were decent viewing. Get Out was fantastic.

Lots of good movies out there if you look hard enough.

rd

#116 6 years ago

Get out was very good.

I think our remakes can even be better if we just try. I am going to join movie pass and watch ready player one. I still need to see black panther.

Three billboards I would like to see, too.

I would like to see something a little new in the cinema experience. Maybe I can create one here in Fullerton? I see room for originality in many places.

#117 6 years ago

I also would like to share with everyone that I have a large TV, some speakers, and that I dislike people using cell phones and talking at the movies.

#118 6 years ago

Three billboards is fantastic. Great acting.

#119 6 years ago

I miss an atmospheric theatre....
forum-auditorium-gallery-4-1510111827 (resized).jpgforum-auditorium-gallery-4-1510111827 (resized).jpg
forum-auditorium-gallery-3-1510111825 (resized).jpgforum-auditorium-gallery-3-1510111825 (resized).jpg
forum-foyer-gallery-1-1510112134 (resized).jpgforum-foyer-gallery-1-1510112134 (resized).jpg

#120 6 years ago

2 more weeks

Super-Troopers-2-Movie-Poster (resized).jpgSuper-Troopers-2-Movie-Poster (resized).jpg

#121 6 years ago

This movie is going to be unwatchable.

Whenever there's not a laugh in the trailer, you know it's trouble.

#122 6 years ago

Have not been in a theater since Batman Returns! What was that 1991? 1992? Watch on disc or cable now.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-interest-in-going-to-the-movies/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.