forum-auditorium-gallery-4-1510111827 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.23.18 PM (resized).png
adfadf (resized).jpg
86EA7F2C-EEB5-44EB-907D-212C09CC069E (resized).jpeg
ECEF868C-0584-42C5-B33F-BB822B51BBB3 (resized).jpeg
33A0BADF-063D-4209-80B6-F6F5944818D0 (resized).jpeg
20180320_151529 (resized).jpg
190 (resized).jpg
There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

If people stop buying the junk food, the theater will go out of business. Is that what you want?

No, but it would be pretty cool if people could chew with their mouth closed. Not sure why popcorn became the defacto movie theater food, it's loud and smells awful.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

No, but it would be pretty cool if people could chew with their mouth closed. Not sure why popcorn became the defacto movie theater food, it's loud and smells awful.

You might hate one of the places we like to go. They have wait staff that comes around and you can order food and alcohol. Every other row of seats was removed and is a table in front of you.

It's fantastic.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

You might hate one of the places we like to go. They have wait staff that comes around and you can order food and alcohol. Every other row of seats was removed and is a table in front of you.
It's fantastic.

As I mentioned in post #19. I think all of the Studio's are new construction though.

#54 6 years ago

I used to love going to the movies but as i start to get later into my 30s I just can’t stomach the experience anymore. We have a super nice theater near me with leather recliners and they do even have good food and alcohol. My problem is I end up next to someone who won’t shut up, stay off their phone, or someone who has a shit sense of humor that ruins the whole thing for me. I’ve spent the money making a nice theater experience in my home so I tend to just wait for blu ray release. As a hardcore comic fan I do still trudge through the experience to see the new comic book movies a few times a year but they’re almost always ruined. The last movie I saw was spider man homecoming and the guy next to me seriously repeated every punchline 3 seconds after it was said.

All my complaints just point to me getting older and grumpier I’m sure.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's fantastic.

Yeah they are finally being forced to deal with people wanting to watch stuff at home. All the places around me now are switching to the electric reclining seats & tons of room seating. Alcohol too, aboot frikkin time....for as many peopel that bring their own booze in it's a no brainer.

#56 6 years ago

What's the average price of a ticket, box of popcorn and drink gone up to? Haven't been to a movie theatre in well over ten years. My 55" tv does just fine.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

What's the average price of a ticket, box of popcorn and drink gone up to? Haven't been to a movie theatre in well over ten years. My 55" tv does just fine.

Here in the Milwaukee area it’s about $14-15 for a reserved seat , and about $17 for a popcorn and a soda combo.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Aint no way I'm moving to Yemen. Sorry dude!

Other than Kuwait, Yemen has some of the best prostitutes in the world.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

Here in the Milwaukee area it’s about $14-15 for a reserved seat , and about $17 for a popcorn and a soda combo.

Thanks for the info, think I'll go another 10 years without going to the movies.

#60 6 years ago

5$ Tuesdays at Marcus theatures in the Milwaukee area . Usually pretty packed all day but the later shows aren't too bad .

#61 6 years ago

Why don’t movies allow people to bring wireless headphones and run the sound through Bluetooth or something?

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Why don’t movies allow people to bring wireless headphones and run the sound through Bluetooth or something?

Probably would be hard to get the 10 way surround sound working.

I do like going to the drive-in and listening through my truck's stereo, they claim that if you have a HD radio you can get surround, but I've never got it to work.

#63 6 years ago

I very rarely go to the movies as well forbthe same reasons as mentioned by others.
However I have made the exception for Ready Player One. I watched it last night at the iMax cinema on a very very large screen in 3d. Absolutely loved it, well worth paying the extra and treating yourself to a great movie.
There is even a special AFM guest appearance

#64 6 years ago

Totally!! It's just not the same any more!!! What really did me in was the fact that you have to sit there and watch the same F....d up commercials we're forced to watch at home!! I agree with the Drive in stereo ! Nice!!

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from JB-7X:

In the metro Detroit area, the nice theaters charge $10.00 for a ticket and $9.00 for popcorn & a soft drink. $13.00 for two drinks with popcorn. I consider that a decent value. Cheaper than any pro sporting events and parking is no charge. So, $31.00 for a couple.

#66 6 years ago

For most of the last 15 years, I either did not have the time or couldn't afford to go to the movies. The last time i went to a movie was in late 2016 for the first time since 2004, to see Shin Godzilla. Haven't been in a theatre since, but there are some films I'd like to go see (Shape of water, Three Billboards, Isle of Dogs) so I'm hoping to get a chance to get out and see some. But too be honest, weather it's a theatre or watching on a home theatre, I've gotten tired of all the comic-book, reboots and remakes.

#67 6 years ago

It's all about the theatre... the stuff we had in the 80s and 90s just wouldn't cut it anymore for the prices they charge now. But when you have the right balance... things are good. It really helps having a ton of competition too. We have 9 theatres and nearly 100 screens within 20mins of me.

- Theatres with reserved seating - really a must unless you are going during the day on a weekeday
- Theatres with powered recliners - a big plus
- Theatres with hot food - a big plus
- Theatres like Alamo Drafthouse with in theatre serving - jackpot

Here Alamo theatres have in theatre food for reasonable prices (about on par with a TGIF, chilis or something), have reserved seating, beer/liquor, and decent theatres for only $12/person. Plus, they are really strict on talking/phones and WILL throw people out.

If you buy tickets in advance from a number of sources, you can usually get tickets like regal for ~8-9 dollars. They've really boosted the upcharges for 3d or imax tho :/

I would have considered Moviepass (did this week even) - but the inability to buy ahead on fandago and needing to make another trip to the theatre to buy advance tickets kind of defeats it for me.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

In the metro Detroit area, the nice theaters charge $10.00 for a ticket and $9.00 for popcorn & a soft drink. $13.00 for two drinks with popcorn...

New Emagine theatre is the place to be. Just looked up 6:30pm tix for Panther $12 for 2 peeps.
EDIT: Sorry the Saline location

#69 6 years ago

My wife and I go on Tuesdays here. National chain. First run movies. 5 bucks with free popcorn. Reserved seating. Motorized recliners. Huge screen.

Don't most theater chains have cheap days like this?

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

My wife and I go on Tuesdays here. National chain. First run movies. 5 bucks with free popcorn. Reserved seating. Motorized recliners. Huge screen.
Don't most theater chains have cheap days like this?

That sounds great.

#71 6 years ago

Only time I go to movie theatre is if my kids want to see something and they agree to go to the most empty showing time when there will less than ten people sitting around us. Hopefully zero. Otherwise 4K from Amazon day it’s released on the massive 75 inch Sony z9d or 70 inch sharp elite.

#72 6 years ago

I go to the movies almost every week.

Always during the day. Generally less than 10 people there. Sometimes I’m the only one there. Got the whole place to myself!

$10 Nz ($7) pre-purchase tickets to the new releases. We don’t have any $9 monthly deals here or I’d be on that like nobodys business.

$10 for a medium size popcorn and coke. That’s my treat - like the 1950s I treat coke as a special treat and not an everyday necessity.

So $20 kiwi bucks ($14) and I have 2 plus hours of entertainment. That’s a pretty good deal I think.

On the other side of the coin - the last Avengers movie I went to, I made the mistake of going to a 6pm Saturday screening - the place was packed, we were right up the front - it was the worst movie experience ever. Never again!!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's fantastic.

Different strokes for different folks ... but man, I can’t think of anything worse than that. Dinner table for eating - bar for drinking - theatre for movies and popcorn.

rd

#73 6 years ago

I used to go to the movies 35 times a year. The last three years only see about 5 per year. Signed up for Movie Pass and was really looking forward to seeing the Oscar nominated films. That was a couple months ago but never received the card. Never heard back from customer service. This seems to be a pretty common occurrence with the company.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

You will never get the same experience at home as IMAX no matter how nice your home theater is.

You can get close. I like to sit 9.5’ from a 135” screen with Dolby Atmos. It’s not IMAX, but it’s close and I can pause it when I need another beer.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Different strokes for different folks ... but man, I can’t think of anything worse than that. Dinner table for eating - bar for drinking - theatre for movies and popcorn.
rd

I'm in this camp. My brain is conditioned for popcorn at the movie.

#76 6 years ago

I’ll go see really big action movies sometimes, but that’s about it.

I set up a home theater about 9 years ago, so I don’t feel like I miss much at home. I have a 133” screen and a nice 7.1 surround system.

#77 6 years ago

Rp1 spoiler, they threw in an Rfm- look for it.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

One is the length of the previews alone.

If it's not a movie that will sell out and it says starts at 9, wait till 9:30 and you will be right on time. If I wanted to watch 30 minutes of "commercials" I would wait till it comes out on tv.

#79 6 years ago

I’ll echo what others have said about the Alamo. I love all kinds of film, but I only used to go to movies once a year, if that, all because I just hated the whole experience. Once the Alamo opened here, everything changed. They kick people right the f—- out, don’t allow kids under 6, great craft beer selection, and lots of trashy grindhouse cinema screenings. I go at least once a week, sometimes twice (73 visits the last 12 months- (Jesus!)). I love them so much I started doing their annual horror month marathon posters!

33A0BADF-063D-4209-80B6-F6F5944818D0 (resized).jpeg33A0BADF-063D-4209-80B6-F6F5944818D0 (resized).jpeg

ECEF868C-0584-42C5-B33F-BB822B51BBB3 (resized).jpegECEF868C-0584-42C5-B33F-BB822B51BBB3 (resized).jpeg

86EA7F2C-EEB5-44EB-907D-212C09CC069E (resized).jpeg86EA7F2C-EEB5-44EB-907D-212C09CC069E (resized).jpeg

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Sleaterkiss:

I used to go to the movies 35 times a year. The last three years only see about 5 per year. Signed up for Movie Pass and was really looking forward to seeing the Oscar nominated films. That was a couple months ago but never received the card. Never heard back from customer service. This seems to be a pretty common occurrence with the company.

Weird, my wife and I got our movie passes Thursday no problem. You can’t do advance ticket purchases or use the app to reserve seats, but so what’s it’s cheap and movies almost never sell out anymore.

Today about 20min before the movie started, we went to the theatre, visited the kiosk, reserved our seats, paid for our tickets using the MoviePass debit card and I still got my AMC points to use at concessions.

Honestly these guys are gonna be bankrupt soon at this rate so get it while you can!

#81 6 years ago

I still like going but not much I want to see lately

Growing up we had a dollar theater in the city I grew up which was great

I go to the drive in at least once a year since we actually have one. Loved it as a kid and still today

a lot of the smaller theaters in the area have classic movies a couple times a week which is more up my alley and I take advantage especially during October

#82 6 years ago

Haven't been to a movie theater in years. Prefer to break movies in half at home over multiple nights - sitting and watching a movie for a couple hours at a theater is just too much these days, particularly matinees. Factor in dealing with other people and no thanks, would rather just stay at home. Movies come out so quickly on dvd/streaming anyway, why bother?

#83 6 years ago

With the rising cost of the movies and the fact that they are politicized as well.

#84 6 years ago

We stopped going to normal theaters long time ago, but luxury theaters are awesome. Reserved seating so you can arrive whenever, large recliners, food and booze brought to you, and adults only so no distractions. We love it!

#85 6 years ago

Just saw READY PLAYER ONE in a Titan Lux luxury theater. Reclining seats, good food, space between you and the unwashed masses.
The seats were literally shaking when the bass hit. Truly amazing.

Oh and you have got to get MOVIEPASS. $7-10 a month. It pays for itself after using it once. It also pays for the Luxury theater at $18 a ticket.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

With the rising cost of the movies

Everything goes up in cost. You are not going to see a movie for .25 cents like when you were a kid. Nor is your phone bill going to be $12 a month for the family.

Quoted from chad:

and the fact that they are politicized as well.

Remember that Artists are the antennae of the human race. That means that Artists will detect problems in society long before the average clod will.

You want a Conservative movie, go see American Sniper or The 15:17 to Paris.

You want a Centrist movie, go see Get Out

You want a Liberal movie, go see The Shape of Water

It's not like every movie has some overt political overtone, and if one does, there are 20 other movies playing at the same time.

adfadf (resized).jpgadfadf (resized).jpg

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

One is the length of the previews alone. Then there is the idiots who talk or interrupt others in some way or another.

I typically go to the late show on a weeknight in the 2nd week after release. At least where I live, its empty and I can enjoy the movie just like at home. I just have to remember to put my pants back on before I leave.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Case in point black panther. Excellent reviews, I haven't seen it yet.

I remember hearing talk of first run movies in the home. I wonder if those days are very close.

Black Panther will be streaming on Amazon and itunes and on DVD/Bluray in MAY. Might as well wait.

#89 6 years ago

Like many, I used to go to the movies a couple times a week.

Now, my home theater is nice enough that I like it better most of the time.

That said, there is a really amazing cinema in town that is actually a historic building, and is run as a non-profit. I pay a monthly fee and get free movies and popcorn for almost everything (still had to pay $20.00 to get into The Exorcist, but Linda Blair was there for a Q&A afterward, so it was ok). They've also got a real-live 70mm projector that they break out for special events now and then (Ghostbusters, Tron, Aliens, 2001: A Space Odyssey among others). The rest of the time, there is a nice mix of first-run, documentary, theme months, and my personal favorite: Re-Run theater, where they show TV shows fromthe 70's and 80's, complete with period commercials.

There's also beer and pizza, and they keep Junior Mints in the freezer.

I'll go there a couple of times a month. Other than that, I really don't do corporate cinemas unless it's something my kid and I really excited about.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I still like going but not much I want to see lately
Growing up we had a dollar theater in the city I grew up which was great

My son and I would go to the dollar theatre a couple times a week to watch the original Toy Story when it had been out a while. He assumed it would always be there and was bummed when it finally left after like 6 months. It was his first wake-up call to the cold brutality of life at 3 years old.

These days it takes an extraordinary movie to get us into an actual movie theatre. The experience has degraded too much (no luxury theatres here, but when we visit LA we do go more).

#91 6 years ago

I make a point of trying to see the movies in 3D on the big screen. For me, this improves the experience. I simply can't get 3D at home and it makes the $21 worth it. (Yes you read that right - $21 bloody dollars including online booking fee + extra $1 if you need 3D glasses)

I just saw Ready Player One in 3D. I really enjoyed it. Some major differences to the book and the book is better, (but lets face it, books are always better) but it was 2 and 1/4 hours well worth it. I just love 80's pop culture.

#92 6 years ago

Having been in the movie biz for nearly 40 years, even I don't go anymore as it's just too much dealing with the obnoxious patrons, uncomfortable seating and quite frankly shit product. It is a true rarity that a film is released that I REALLY want to see in the theatre-and I have lifetime use/passes for any theatre in the area.
Back in the mid-'80's, there was serious talk about theatres actually closing down due to the advent of VHS/VCR's and people staying at home with them. It hardly made a dent in the buisiness. Move ahead to the post-2000, cheap Hi def/4K Hi def systems we have in our homes now and THAT truly is a threat to the business. Trust me, there is no better feeling that ordering in, setting up a good film (new or old, doesn't matter) and settling down with the wife & girlfriend and truly enjoying the show.

#93 6 years ago

High prices - it's ok with me, things cost more these days.

Obnoxious people - they are a smaller percentage of the overall population but that small percentage will inevitably seek me out and sit right next to me or right behind me or in front of me. I hate them.

Reserved seating - you took away my one escape path from the obnoxious people. I need the option of getting up and moving somewhere else. Don't like it.

The movies - they just are not very good anymore. Not worth it to go out.

#94 6 years ago

Most of my movie attendance gripes would be solved if owners installed Faraday cages within the structural walls of cinema outlets.

Going to the movies was great before mobile (cell) phones became commonplace and every owner found it necessary to externally validate themselves every 10 minutes.

Nowadays you either have to go during the day (not possible for my circumstances) to cut down on the chances of other patrons or sit on the perimeter so the small illuminated screen that keeps getting checked four rows in front of you is out of your line of sight.

Edit: Similar gripe and solution applies to restaurants also.

#95 6 years ago

Don't like the crowds. It's not that I don't like people. I just don't like being around them!!!

#96 6 years ago

Any movie i REALLY want to see and enjoy, we head to the ALAMO. They love movies and want you to have a great experience.
No phones, texting or talking during the film. period. pretty good food and popcorn and reserved seats so you don't have to show up 30 minutes early to avoid sitting in the front row. we usually go on Sunday afternoons for new releases so its not very crowded. If you have one near you, it's worth checking out.

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.23.18 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-02 at 5.23.18 PM (resized).png

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

Trust me, there is no better feeling that ordering in, setting up a good film (new or old, doesn't matter) and settling down with the wife & girlfriend and truly enjoying the show.

Cool, a very understanding wife. You lucked out. That's VT , not UT, correct?

#98 6 years ago

I'm in the same boat used to see one to two movies a month, now I've seen two in the last two years.
My main reasons are having to sit through 20 to 25 minutes of previews is brutal and the lack of quality movies. If you took out the superhero movies from The Last 5 Years I feel like there's very few other movies worth watching and I'm not even that big of a big superhero fan. We're getting to the point where movies are a redo of a redo of a redo...

#99 6 years ago

Can't stand listening to people eat. I fantasize the whole movie about how I'd like to brutally murder the guy eating Nachos behind me. I'll probably never go to the movies in my life again.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from kamenoi_ostrow:

settling down with the wife & girlfriend and truly enjoying the show.

That's my favourite show!

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-interest-in-going-to-the-movies/page/2?hl=jb-7x and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.