(Topic ID: 118520)

Lost In Space - Can't Figure This Out...

By CUJO

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by CUJO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SUPERVUKSWITCHLIS.jpg
#1 9 years ago

LIS had issues during gameplay where all of a sudden the DMD would show the VOLUME LEVEL dropping from 17 to 0, all by itself! Then it added Player 2, then 3 while Player 1 was playing!

I was sure it was the WhiteStar CPU/SOUND board so I swapped it out with a known to be good identical CPU/Sound from my South Park (Identical P/N).

Swapped the (6) ROMs from board to board on the bench, mounted the pulled CPU/SOUND board from SP into LIS, power up..seems ok..set the ADJUSTMENTS; Set for Free Play; Reboot the game;

Comes up and about 3 minutes into play, the same crap!!!! Volume drops from 20 to 0 on the DMD, adds 2nd Player.

Anyone have a clue what the culprit might be here? Frustrating for sure!

THANKS!

EDIT:

I should add that the I put the CPU/SOUND board I pulled from LIS into SP to see what would happen.
Well the sound seems "speeded up" at times and speech out of sync with what I am used to hearing on SP.
Also I get a loud "PFFFT" sound out of the speaker on power up. Game seems to play and score ok but the sounds are not what they were and the speech bites seems like they pop up randomly.

#2 9 years ago

I would maybe try disconnecting the coin door/diag switches and retry.

#3 9 years ago

I could do that .. but I am still mystified by why the sound isn't/won't work properly after moving the CPU/SOUND board from LIS to SP. This music speeded up thing is strange..like taking a 33RPM record and playing it 45RPM..like it's trying to catch up.

About 2 weeks ago the LIS sound/speech had quit all together, which is why I pulled the board and re-seated all the SOUND ROMS initially (which did restore the sound/speech at least).

#4 9 years ago

I had an X-Files that had weird sound issues. Some sounds worked, others didn't. I put it in JP2:Lost World and it did other weird things (half the music was gone, other weird crap). I swapped chips, lods of other stuff, and eventually gave up and got a new board. FIxed it

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

I had an X-files that had weird sound issues. Some sounds worked, others didn't. I put it in JP2:Lost World and it did other weird things (half the music was gone, other weird crap). I swapped chips, lods of other stuff, and eventually gave up and got a new board. FIxed it

Where did you find a new board? Rottendog doesn't appear to make this one.
BTW, I'm from Baltimore but live in FL now. Arbutus, Catonsville area.

#6 9 years ago

UPDATE: Ok, thought it may have been coin door switches.
But this is for sure. The game will sit turned on just fine. Soon as I drop a ball into the "O" Hole scoop, game resets..

#7 9 years ago

Run through the switch diagnostics for playfield switches and coin door diagnostic switches and see what is amiss.

You probably have a broken diode somewhere on the switch matrix and its getting confused.

Symptom is you do one thing (drop a ball into the "O" Hole scoop) and the wrong thing happens (game tilts) etc.

If you have a problem there, usually 8 switches will be affected and that narrows it down to the common row or column those switches are located in.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

Run through the switch diagnostics for playfield switches and coin door diagnostic switches and see what is amiss.
You probably have a broken diode somewhere on the switch matrix and its getting confused.
Symptom is you do one thing (drop a ball into the "O" Hole scoop) and the wrong thing happens (game tilts) etc.
If you have a problem there, usually 8 switches will be affected and that narrows it down to the common row or column those switches are located in.

I do believe the CENTER SUPER VUK switch is missing the diode completely. See Pic. Culprit?
If so, is it a IN4001 or 4004?

SUPERVUKSWITCHLIS.jpgSUPERVUKSWITCHLIS.jpg
#9 9 years ago

Bump.
Anyone have a pic or a manual to check for diode on switch please. Mine is missing a diode.

#10 9 years ago

Physically follow the wires from the switch. Sega/Stern often mounted switch diodes on small boards on the underside of the playfield.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#11 9 years ago

K's Arcade gets them in now and then. They are pricey though! I lucked out and a friend got a redemption game that uses the board and swapped it for me.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Physically follow the wires from the switch. Sega/Stern often mounted switch diodes on small boards on the underside of the playfield.

OK..I'll have a look. I noticed the other VUK switch in the game did not have a diode either so you're probably right.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Mrjamma:

One of the symptoms was the game restarted, or the volume would drop, or a player or two would be mysteriously added. I replaced the VOLUME coin door switch which was "sticking"..but still had the issue/ Then I checked the left coin door switch my removing the mech and putting that back together.
Now the stuck switch in ROW6 has vanished. Game is back to normal. We shall see how long cause I'm not 100% sure I fixed it.

#14 9 years ago

Did you lose you 50v coil power during all this?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Did you lose you 50v coil power during all this?

No, never lost the 50V as two of the items in ROW6 was the RIGHT SLING KICKER and the BOTTOM LEFT TURBO BUMPER and they fired.

Played the game for over an hour tonight. Everything worked properly.
The part I am still confused about is the loss of sound/music/speech which is now fine, since that short in the matrix seems to be gone.

#16 9 years ago

Cuz I am on my lis. Also the multiball starts and when a ball drops in the front scoop, the power drops, game seizes.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

Cuz I am on my lis. Also the multiball starts and when a ball drops in the front scoop, the power drops, game seizes.

My LIS issues have stayed away for a few days now with heavy use.

Not 100% sure what I did to fix it, but it seemed to be related to the "sticking" RED VOLUME switch on the coin door. Also tinkered around with the left coin slot switch which was part of the ROW 6 switch matrix.

I had pulled the CPU/SOUND board from the backbox and game it a good look over prior to that.
Pulled all the Speech and Game ROMS , inspected and reseated them, but still had the issues of no sound.speech and no music. Not until I replaced the VOLUME switch on the coin door did things become normal. This RED VOLUME SWITCH is a dedicated switch too.

So on your game, what do you mean by "SEIZED"?

#18 9 years ago

During multiball, one ball will go in the O scoop, then I lose power to to playfield coils and nothing else happens. The GE lights stay on, but that's it. I haven't messed with it in a while due to work, but in a few weeks I'll be getting my hands dirty again. I'll let you know what happens at that point, frustration probably. Ha ha

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinbali:

During multiball, one ball will go in the O scoop, then I lose power to to playfield coils and nothing else happens. The GE lights stay on, but that's it. I haven't messed with it in a while due to work, but in a few weeks I'll be getting my hands dirty again. I'll let you know what happens at that point, frustration probably. Ha ha

Check the ROW6 Switch Matrix like I did and report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 45.00
Lighting - Other
PinballToys

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
£ 45.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 18.95
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-in-space-cant-figure-this-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.