Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by alb0711
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3942 (resized).jpg
IMG_3941 (resized).jpg
IMG_3940 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3938 (resized).jpg
IMG_3939 (resized).jpg

#1 11 days ago

I'm trying to recover from an electrical issue that I had a few months back on my twilight zone. I needed to replace my transformer, and I'm verifying voltages before connecting the new transformer to the playfield and backbox. I know voltages coming out of the transformer will be higher then the schematics indicate because there is no load on the transformer. What doesn't make sense to me is the voltage differences between the unloaded Gilligan island transformer and the unloaded twilight zone transformer WHEN the twilight zone transformer has an extra plug on its' input side.

Twilight zone has an extra 6 pin connector between its transformer and the plug/fuse input that Gilligan does not have.

When the Twilight zone transformer is connected to the main power without the extra connection to the coin door, the output voltages for the twilight zone machine and gilligans island are the same.

When the twilight zone extra 6 pin connector is connected to the input side of my transformer, voltages on the twilight zone transformer output are significantly different then gilligans island.

Starting with the 2 prong violet transformer output connector, schematic say 100 VAC. Gilligan reads 112VAC, Twilight Zone WITHOUT extra connector 112 VAC, Twilight Zone WITH extra connector reads 129 VAC. The higher voltages from twilight zone are consistently high across all other output connections, but only when the extra connection is in place. For example, the 15 pin connector per schematics is supposed to have 80 VAC between pins 5 and 8. Gilligan is reading 89.2 while twilight zone is reading 102.9.

It seems this extra connection is doing something to my transformer input voltages thereby causing bad output voltages. I'm thinking this extra connector is the interlock, but I still can't imagine why it would alter the transformer voltages. I've attached photos of the twilight zone transformer with the extra connector as well as a photo of the wire from this connector to my coin door.

Anybody run into this one before? Thanks!

IMG_3938 (resized).jpgIMG_3939 (resized).jpg
#2 10 days ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Twilight zone has an extra 6 pin connector between its transformer and the plug/fuse input that Gilligan does not have.

9 pin connector?

The WPC transformer used in both Gilligans Island and Twilight Zone has multiple primary taps in order to provide proper voltages to the WPC board set with varying input voltages applied by different countries.

Hopefully this helps:

#3 10 days ago

Hi Pin Guy,

Thanks, I'm confusing my issue... it is indeed a 9 pin connector not 6. I'm trying to determine if this extra 9 pin connector is causing my transformer to have high voltages before I connect it to the rest of the machine.

In the first photo below, the extra male and female 9 pin connector is sitting in between my transformer and the external power. When this is connected, I am getting higher then expected voltages across all of my transformer secondary's. In the second photo I have disconnected the extra 9 pins connectors. When it isn't connected, my Twilight Zone transformer voltages match those on a working Gilligan Island machine. This extra connection runs to the coin mechanism and has an unused female connector (see 3rd photo)

Do you know what this extra connector does? I'm guessing either an lockout or perhaps a previous owner had installed some kind of add on that is no longer on the machine. I also would like to understand why this connector seems to change the output voltages of the transformer. Is it possible that I have some kind of short in the extra connector?

Thanks

IMG_3940 (resized).jpgIMG_3941 (resized).jpgIMG_3942 (resized).jpg
#4 10 days ago
Quoted from alb0711:

When this is connected, I am getting higher then expected voltages across all of my transformer secondary's.

You use this connector when you have low input power. If your home outlet power is low (103.5) volts, this connector rewires the input of the transformer winding to get you a normal output. Now since your home outlet power is correct (115) volts and you use this connector the output voltage will be higher than required and may cause damage to the machine. So just remove it and don't use it.

Quoted from alb0711:

Do you know what this extra connector does?

I think it is for a dollar bill validator.

#5 10 days ago

Thank you grumpy! I didn't know a low voltage connector existed. That explains it!

Allen

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 109.99
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 999.00
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Machine - For Sale
Atlanta, GA
$ 10.95
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 50.00
8,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasanton, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 42.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
65,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside