IMG_4479 (resized).JPG
20170411_122043 (resized).jpg
IMG_4469 (resized).JPG
IMG_4466 (resized).JPG
tmp_12899-IMAG3108338333072.jpg
IMAG3107.jpg
IMG_4461 (resized).JPG
IMG_4460 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I was doing some work on my Safari and noticed that one of the bulbs wasn't illuminated completely. It would flicker on and off. I figured I would remove the bulb, take it out and put it back in again to see if that worked.

I powered off the game, unscrewed the holder from the PF, removed the bulb and then put it back. I must have forgot to put the screw back in and I powered up the game. The back box lights were dim for a second or so and then came on normally (that never happened before). The bulb is in a place where it couldn't have shorted anything out, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Unfortunately I have no GI in the PF now and have no clue where to start. How would I find the fuse? I see a few in the cabinet, but I'm not sure if they are the correct fuses.

I have a schematic if that's needed, but I have no idea how to read it.

The bulb on the right is the one I was messing with

IMG_4461 (resized).JPGIMG_4461 (resized).JPG

IMG_4460 (resized).JPGIMG_4460 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Damn you're good! So the one in the middle is cooked, as long as I'm using this meter correctly.

The paper says 6V 10A. The one I pulled says 32V 10A. Yikes.

I'm assuming that's bad? It's a lot higher and it blew (for some reason).

There are two others. One fuse just says BUSS AGC 15. That one was in the other slot that says 6V 10A.

The third one at the top says BUSS AGC 10. That one was in the 50V 15A.

Looks like these are all messed up.

Do I want slow blow or fast blow? Can I get these things at an auto parts store?

#7 6 years ago

It makes sense now. So I can use a fuse with a voltage rating the same or higher than defined by the circuit. As for amperge, it has to match what is defined by the machine.

It looks like the only thing I can find locally is fast acting.

#11 6 years ago

Well, I found some 10A 250V fuses. As soon as I turn on the game, the fuse turns red and blows.

Any idea where to start? I rebuilt a flipper earlier and played a few games when I was done. Only after messing with that one bulb did this happen.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from oldpins:

Looking at your top photo, (bulb holder on the right) you may want to check that the tab to which the wire is connected is not touching the bulb holder housing (Looks that it is very close in the photo).
You could also disconnect the wire to the holder and power up machine to see if it is the problem.

You sir, are a genius. I looked at that thing 30 times and had no idea that the tab couldn't touch the base. I must have bent it when I was pushing the new bulb into the holder.

I bent it back, turned it on and viola'. We now have GI!!

Thanks to everyone in this thread. I owe you all a debt of gratitude. This is my favorite game and I was out of sorts when I thought i broke it.

IMG_4466 (resized).JPGIMG_4466 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

I'm wondering if while I have a few of you smart EM guys here I could ask about another issue I noticed.

What controls the light for the Ball number? I'm noticing that when it goes to Ball 4, the light doesn't come on right away. But, if I hit different switches, it will turn on and then off again.

I haven't correlated what switches turn it on or off yet.

It also isn't awarding replays, which I guess isn't a big deal since it's on free play.

I have the schematic, but it's literally 6' long.

IMG_4469 (resized).JPGIMG_4469 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

I'm thinking I'm just having lamp socket issues. Anyone know how I'm supposed to get these bulbs out?

IMG_4479 (resized).JPGIMG_4479 (resized).JPG

IMG_4480 (resized).JPGIMG_4480 (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago

Now that I'm looking further, I think I'm missing parts from my Match Unit.

Should I start another thread since the GI portion is fixed?

All the other "units", for lack of a better term, look pretty much the same. However, my Match unit seems to be missing parts.

Add that with the random jumper wires and something appears to be wrong.

Here is the match unit. You can see some wires twisted together, making me think they ripped out parts and hot wires it together.

IMG_4483 (resized).JPGIMG_4483 (resized).JPG

This is what the other ones look like which makes me think I'm missing a switch stack, a second coil and a big spring.

IMG_4484 (resized).JPGIMG_4484 (resized).JPG

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Match unit doesn't need to reset so single coil and no return spring is correct.

So then just soldering the wires to the coil would be the only thing I need to do there?

I've never gotten a match before (at least that made any noise), nor have I ever been awarded a replay. For example, if I get over the 3700 point replay score listed on the card, the credit wheel doesn't move, nor does it make any sound.

Is it supposed to or not because it's on free play?

Quoted from newmantjn:

Use an old shooter rod rubber

That's a great trick. It turns out that it was just the bulbs that needed replaced.

I guess it was just coincidence that it happened at the same time I had GI issues.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-gi-after-messing-with-a-bulb?tu=spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.