7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

I bought a SF2 on Saturday and it did not have a backglass key. I unscrewed both screws flanking the lock, but that didn't help - it loosened the whole thing but I still couldn't get it off. I briefly searched for new locks/keys but didn't find anything. Anyone have any advice on how I can get into the backglass? Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

You're probably going to want to get those screws back in to keep the housing from spinning like crazy...pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from ParaBax:

You're probably going to want to get those screws back in to keep the housing from spinning like crazy...

Yep, drill it out!

#4 7 years ago

If it's a single bitted lock, you can try picking it by putting a little tension on the lock and raking the pins a couple times.

I actually had to open one of these once since my drill was too large to reach the lock, and I couldn't pick it since it was double bitted.

So, I ended up bending the plate, and was able to turn it around enough to extract the lock from the opening. Don't worry about saving the plate...you can get a replacement for a buck or two.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yep, drill it out!

Unfortunately, the lock is too close to the backglass, so a standard drill won't reach it. There isn't enough clearance.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Unfortunately, the lock is too close to the backglass, so a standard drill won't reach it. There isn't enough clearance.

I have a right angle attachment that I have to use once in a while for stuff like this. :should run you about $30

#7 7 years ago

Pick the lock - they are usually pretty easy to pick. Did you check the coin door and cabinet for the key?

#8 7 years ago

Ha! I was afraid of that. OK so it sounds like I'm going to need to roll up my sleeves on this baby. I was just checking to see if there was something I was not thinking of first.

Thanks for the tip on bending the plate, @forceflow, I'll give that a shot!

Billc479 yep I checked everywhere. (I do have the coin door key, thankfully.) I'll probably try picking it if I can't bend it out.

This is my first topic here at Pinside and I'm pleasantly surprised at the very quick and helpful answers!

#9 7 years ago

You did check inside the coin door for the key to be hanging there?
Oops just saw bills remark.

#10 7 years ago

They were actually hanging inside the coin door (although to my credit they were not visible at first glance). I think the fact that the previous owner told me they were missing and that the guy he bought it from said they were missing made me give up too easily.

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated! Now to go about procuring the alternate translite for this baby...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-backglass-key-for-sf2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.