Lost a bulb midgame - should i be worried

By tommyp

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Not so much concerned because i lost it..because i can't find it. On my met pro my GI bulb over my left sling loves to fly out mid game. I was having a good 1st ball, so I left it on the PF and kept going. Well, it eventually slid to a flipper, got flung, and is now MIA. I lifted the PF, didn't see it in the cab. Spent about 15 min searching every nook and cranny above and below the PF, couldn't find it. Should I be concerned it may cause something else to break, or just play on?

#2 8 years ago

Run the coil test.

If it does not fling out, then don't worry about it.

It will return again in your next high score....

#3 8 years ago

Shine a flashlight under the plastics and plastic ball guides. Look behind rubbers.

#4 8 years ago

I had frosted LEDs in the sling spots on my MET pro that would fly out at least once a week. I solved that problem by removing the frosted caps on the LEDs. Now they stay in just fine without that rounded bulb end - no need for glue.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks Vid. I"ll probably take your advice. Force - I shit you not, I looked literally everywhere - methodically. Behind sparky, under the metal guides, under the ramps, in all the holes that are not used on a pro...everywhere.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Force - I shit you not, I looked literally everywhere - methodically. Behind sparky, under the metal guides, under the ramps, in all the holes that are not used on a pro...everywhere.

I once went to service a Whodunit that had a ball missing error and never could find it.

Not under the plastics, not in the cab, not in the harness. 80grams of steel literally evaporated.

#7 8 years ago

Machine is pretty much toast. Pull the plug and don't play. It's trash but I'd give you 1k to cover parts if you cover shipping

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I once went to service a Whodunit that had a ball missing error and never could find it.

At the VFW Showcase last year this happened twice (yes TWICE) on the same WH20. Rum-Z and I, whom both own WH20s and know all the places it could have gone, searched for a long time and never found either.
*POOF*

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I had frosted LEDs in the sling spots on my MET pro that would fly out at least once a week. I solved that problem by removing the frosted caps on the LEDs. Now they stay in just fine without that rounded bulb end - no need for glue.

Larry just puts a piece of scotch tape over the face of the spot light. haha. I am so glad stern finally came out with brackets that hold the spot light flashers and bulbs in now. So nice.

#10 8 years ago

Lift pin overhead and shake. It's like getting a guitar pick out of an acoustic guitar.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Not so much concerned because i lost it..because i can't find it. On my met pro my GI bulb over my left sling loves to fly out mid game. I was having a good 1st ball, so I left it on the PF and kept going. Well, it eventually slid to a flipper, got flung, and is now MIA. I lifted the PF, didn't see it in the cab. Spent about 15 min searching every nook and cranny above and below the PF, couldn't find it. Should I be concerned it may cause something else to break, or just play on?

It's a crummy design and they always fall out. Should have used a bayonet style or something.

You want to remove it if you find it ASAP. It'll turn up. On stern's the biggest danger is that it falls into the trough, rendering the game unplayable until removed.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Thanks Vid. I"ll probably take your advice. Force - I shit you not, I looked literally everywhere - methodically. Behind sparky, under the metal guides, under the ramps, in all the holes that are not used on a pro...everywhere.

I recommend checking the ball trough too. One time I saw one in there and you could only see it from one specific angle.

#13 8 years ago

Did you check the ball trough? That's were a bulb ended up in my ST. Never saw it fly out.

#14 8 years ago

I once had a bulb slip through the ball trough and under the apron. I Didn't find it until I lifted the playfield.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not under the plastics, not in the cab, not in the harness. 80grams of steel literally evaporated.

I just picked up a barb wire recently--when I lifted the playfield before moving it, there were 6 balls lost in the rear of the cabinet and 4 in the trough. It is a 4-ball game.

#16 8 years ago

Vid's suggestion seemed to do the trick. Was burried somewhere deep behind sparky where i couldn't see it. Coils knocked it out - thanks Vid!

#17 8 years ago

What an anticlimactic ending to an otherwise promising thread

#18 8 years ago

I lost a bulb before. Game had a shaker. About a month later I finally found it at the cabinet bottom.

Shaker 4 teh win!

#19 8 years ago

That happens a lot with pf screws...

#20 8 years ago

Don't keep playing with parts lying on the play field!(Unless you're well on your way to a high score--then suffer the consequences!)

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

What an anticlimactic ending to an otherwise promising thread

I still want to know how a ball disappears! That's crazy!

#22 8 years ago

Since we are past all of the serious answers.

Only if the bulb that is rolling around is scoring more points than your normal ball in play is.

#23 8 years ago

How can you be sure it wasn't a different bulb you found?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

At the VFW Showcase last year this happened twice (yes TWICE) on the same WH20. Rum-Z and I, whom both own WH20s and know all the places it could have gone, searched for a long time and never found either.
*POOF*

This should be a required mode in every "magic" themed pin.

Quoted from smokey_789:

Don't keep playing with parts lying on the play field!(Unless you're well on your way to a high score--then suffer the consequences!)

I have a DrWho, and did the "USB Tardis" mod. A few weeks ago I'd a monster game going when during a dalek battle, the friggin' ROOF popped off the USB tardis and plopped right smack in the middle of the pf. Woulda been hilarious (if not almost appropriate!) if it didn't make me flub the multiball... but I managed to panic-cradle the last ball, then called my 11yo daughter and instructed her how to open the coin door and remove the glass, extract the not-yet-destroyed roof, replace the glass and shut the door without titling (the last part being tricky on this machine) while I held the flipper...

...she made a right proper companion in that respect

Unfortunately I came up just short of my GC score.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

I still want to know how a ball disappears! That's crazy!

It once happened in my TOM. Ball goes in trunk, then a thunk, then ball is missing. Found it in the bottom of the cabinet. It took me like 10 minutes under the hood to figure out how it happened, turns out that it is just possible for the ball to get over the edge of the trough near an insert. I mean just possible. Like the ball had to somehow bounce in a spot where it doesn't look like anything should cause it to bounce, and if it had bounces like 1/100 of an inch different in any axis, it could not get out of the trough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.00
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 25.50
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lost-a-bulb-midgame-should-i-be-worried and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.