Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140825_225816.jpg
    20140830_223407.jpg
    image-538.jpg
    20140319_144724.jpg
    20140305_214753.jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Hey y'all I am in Redondo till thursday and would like to find a couple places to play and maybe have a beer. I found a PNN website but no address and no updates since february so surely that is not the current site. I know she moved and I don't want to go to the old address, anyone help?

And where else could I go that would not get me into a crapload of traffic? I made it out to Venice Beach yesterday - wow.

Thans in advance

#2 9 years ago

Old PNN people (Molly) moved to a new barcade...can't remember where, but it's a more permanent/legit location. I have heard that it's not that great, but that at least the pins are separated.

#3 9 years ago

It's called EightyTwo. There's also Blipsys...but be prepared for absolute weirdness there.

#4 9 years ago

Hey Rommy,

You want to go to http://eightytwo.la

707 East 4th Place
    Los Angeles

steve SDTM

#5 9 years ago

Roomy I work in redondo beach and live 10 miles north in west culver city. Pm me if you'd like to meet and come play some games at my place

Or you can go to the fun factory on redondo pier and suffer an ugly pinball hell lol

#6 9 years ago

PNN is still in the same spot, though. Look up Bedrock Studios in Echo Park and you will find the address. Call them and they may have more info on the hours of operation.

#7 9 years ago

http://www.pinsandneedlesla.com/

This is a great location and Molly is a super cool stand up lady. We had a good time when we were there. All you have to do is email her and and ask what her hours are, she responds pretty quick.

#8 9 years ago

PNN isn't gone, 82 didn't replace it, but it's not open right now.

Basically if you want location play in LA 82 is the spot for the moment.

#9 9 years ago

Not trying to whore out my own restaurant but we do have some awesome pins at my bar in Chatsworth. 35 min drive from Redondo no traffic. Worth the drive! Full bar/restaurant, 18 beers on tap. Casa de Carlos 20549 Devonshire St. Chatsworth 91311. Check out pinballmap.com.

20140305_214753.jpg20140305_214753.jpg
    #10 9 years ago

pinblwzd Where do you work / is it a place I might just stop by? I am with people so my schedule is at their mercy but I am gonna be walking around the pier as much as possible, there are no beaches like this in Arkansas and this is my first time to see the Pacific Ocean.

TBH - this place is so frikkin' cool...I had no idea...if I had seen this place in my youth...well I am glad I did not, but all my kids are gonna see it. If I could get a consensus out of them....I would move. That is no joke. 72 or cooler and overcast every morning out here? Y'ALL SUCK. Arkansas is like a sweat box compared to here. Y'all can WALK around. That is like alien to me...and it feels SO good. My friend does not even have AC in his spot - and that is OK. So bizarre. My electric bill runs like 1000-1200 a month in Arkansas.

Cozy Cafe - my homeboys took me there, awesome french toast. Wee Man's tacos and El Galato taco truck both off the list now.

pinsane (this is S.T. , right?) - thank you for the address man. you know I have your BBB, right?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

PNN isn't gone, 82 didn't replace it, but it's not open right now.
    Basically if you want location play in LA 82 is the spot for the moment.

Yup...me, Aurich, Pinsane & and bunch of others went on Sat nite to check it out. Super fun! Tons of great pins and classic vids!

Quoted from cgz46:

Not trying to whore out my own restaurant but we do have some awesome pins at my bar in Chatsworth.

...and those pins are?

#12 9 years ago

At the moment: acdc luci,metallica prem, Spiderman, funhouse, Addams, whitewater.

#13 9 years ago

I really thought PNN was gone. Sorry for the misinformation. LA I will be back in you in OCTOBER!

#14 9 years ago

PNN might open up as soon as this weekend. Definitely not gone.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I am gonna be walking around the pier as much as possible, there are no beaches like this in Arkansas and this is my first time to see the Pacific Ocean.
    TBH - this place is so frikkin' cool...I had no idea...if I had seen this place in my youth...well I am glad I did not, but all my kids are gonna see it. If I could get a consensus out of them....I would move. That is no joke. 72 or cooler and overcast every morning out here? Y'ALL SUCK.

From the Redondo Beach pier, walk north about 10 minutes on N. Harbor Drive until you reach Herondo Street. That is where the Hermosa Beach "Strand" starts. Walk up and down the Strand and have lunch or dinner at/near the Hermosa Beach pier. I would recommend the North End Bar at 2626 Hermosa Ave in Hermosa Beach. This is the hangout for the Los Angeles Kings players and they regularly bring the Stanley Cup there. You might forget about pinball for the night when you see the eye candy in Hermosa Beach.

#16 9 years ago

Oh - I went out to the Strand night one in Hermosa...WOW. More little black dresses than I have ever seen in one spot. The women were hotter than Dallas. In the summer. That place rocks. I could literally never see a car and spend two weeks here on the pier and the strand. Just a great place. Everyone friendly.

#17 9 years ago

Welcome to SoCal! It is indeed nice here. )

For some quick play near Redondo, there's Gable House Bowl in Torrance. There's always a couple of new Sterns there, in good shape. 10-15 mins from where you are, no freeways, minimal traffic.

Avoid the siren song of House of Billiards in Santa Monica. Looking on Pinfinder, it will appear as a haven of cool 80s/90s pins. They are all unmaintained piles of scrap sitting on pinball legs. If any even turn on, you're lucky. Great place to shoot pool, though.

Long Beach has a lot of good locations according to Pinfinder, though I haven't personally verified any of them lately. Is there really a Monster Bash and a TOTAN at Fern's? If so, that's well worth the drive.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

My electric bill runs like 1000-1200 a month in Arkansas.

Holy crap. I mean, I'm right there with you on the heat and humidity. It's been 90+ degrees all week here in TN, so muggy that it's rained most days and that just somehow heats things up more, and if I go outside for more than 5 minutes I'm burnt. But $1200/month?!? I guess I need to apprecite TVA more. My electric is one set price per month for a year then adjusted as needed for actual use. This year it's $117/month, down from $122/month last year.

Note to self- visit SoCal some day.

#19 9 years ago

On the plus side, it's 72 degrees and perfect humidity here, about 350 days a year.

On the negative side, 13 million other people have also figured this out.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondie7575:

On the negative side, 13 million other people have also figured this out.

On the plus side a lot of those 13 million have figured out that we are not going to pay them to stay here.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from cgz46:

At the moment: acdc luci,Metallica prem, spiderman, Funhouse, Addams, whitewater.

Nice, added three machines since last week...best condition public pins I've seen (also subs on AC/DC and Met.)
    Is it rude to throw a palm in the face of your host/hostess and shout "Pinball" as you walk by?

#22 9 years ago

I'm in a large aerospace plant, so can't have visitors. But I do have a car lol!

Welcome to South Bay, sounds like you're already getting the hang of things around here

#23 9 years ago

About to go bike the strand...that seems like...crazy to me. But hey, nothing ventured as they say, plus I am thinking it will be cooler now. Thanks for the pinball advice, hoping to have time tomorrow. I have run my friends around now, went to LaBrea today and the grove...which was a frikkin trip and a blast and i have to say having spent some time in lower manhattan - these california guys know how to do a reuben..SO surprised to get a FAT killer reuben done RIGHT at Phil's in the farmer's market.

How important are the kids' friends anyways? they can find new ones, right? that's what y'all need out here...another fred loya.

#24 9 years ago

You know, in the South we learn that we have a monopoly on manners. The Southern culture demands a certain decorum that we learn is not present anywhere else in the country. So we are blessed to live in the South and everyone else is just plonked...but then I came out here,,,and the people are CRUNK. It seems this culture of being outside and walking around and seeing other people on a regular is more conducive to practicing friendliness than sitting in one's air conditioned den of pinball. hmmmmmmm... there is no way I am talking teenage girls out of their highschool. is there? hehe

ps - the guy at the corner store, Ivan, already knows my name. what's the bad part again? oh yeah, just watched it on the news, "the nanny that won't leave" LOL now that is a problem you won't find in Texas =) .

#25 9 years ago

Glad you're having a good time. I stayed at a penthouse overlooking Venice beach last night myself, playing tourist as a local.

I'm right next to Redondo, I can step away from my desk tomorrow for a bit if you're itching to play some pinball.

#26 9 years ago

Yes, cool to hear you're having a good time. The weather you're experiencing is classified as a mediterranean climate. There are only a few places in the world that have weather like us and the Cal coast is the only place here in the states. Basically, the sun shines just about all the damb time here and the deep ass (cold) ocean you've been hanging around cools everything off at night. Humidity levels are always low, unless you happen to be driving through a patch of fog. There are down sides to living here though. Earthquakes, wildfires and mudslides happen a lot here. And the real estate prices are ridiculous. You don't want to know.

Make sure you eat as much Mexican food as you can. We have the best. As to the weather being conducive to being friendly, hell yes it is. I've always said that I'll move to Portland when global warming really kicks in (I'm in norcal). It hasn't yet.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from cgz46:

Casa de Carlos 20549 Devonshire St. Chatsworth 91311.

I used to live right down the street from there about 15 years ago. Ate there many times.

Small world.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

You know, in the South we learn that we have a Monopoly on manners. The Southern culture demands a certain decorum that we learn is not present anywhere else in the country. So we are blessed to live in the South and everyone else is just plonked...but then I came out here,,,and the people are CRUNK. It seems this culture of being outside and walking around and seeing other people on a regular is more conducive to practicing friendliness than sitting in one's air conditioned den of pinball. hmmmmmmm... there is no way I am talking teenage girls out of their highschool. is there? hehe
    ps - the guy at the corner store, Ivan, already knows my name. what's the bad part again? oh yeah, just watched it on the news, "the nanny that won't leave" LOL now that is a problem you won't find in Texas =) .

Glad to hear you're getting a warm reception (literally and figuratively ). Honestly, in my humble experience, people everywhere are pretty damn nice when you get right down to it.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from blondie7575:

Welcome to SoCal! It is indeed nice here. )
    For some quick play near Redondo, there's Gable House Bowl in Torrance. There's always a couple of new Sterns there, in good shape. 10-15 mins from where you are, no freeways, minimal traffic.
    Avoid the siren song of House of Billiards in Santa Monica. Looking on Pinfinder, it will appear as a haven of cool 80s/90s pins. They are all unmaintained piles of scrap sitting on pinball legs. If any even turn on, you're lucky. Great place to shoot pool, though.
    Long Beach has a lot of good locations according to Pinfinder, though I haven't personally verified any of them lately. Is there really a Monster Bash and a TOTAN at Fern's? If so, that's well worth the drive.

Yes. A small dive bar on 4th street in long beach have MB and TOTAN and they play pretty well. Stumbled upon them while driving by and door was open to bar and saw the pins in the back.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Yes. A small dive bar on 4th street in long beach have MB and TOTAN and they play pretty well. Stumbled upon them while driving by and door was open to bar and saw the pins in the back.

Wow that sucks...I was just in Long Beach for several days right around 4th street and the only pin I could find was a Transformers at the Pike movie theater.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

pinsane (this is S.T. , right?) - thank you for the address man. you know I have your BBB, right?

Hope you can make it to 82. You won't be sorry. Congrats on the BBB. Hope you like it! It's one of my favorite games.

steve SDTM

#32 9 years ago

Thanks on the compliment! (Pat). Not rude at all lol. Starting a new pinball happy hour on Saturday 10pm-midnight free play on all machines! Tickled that pinball is alive in Los Angeles!

20140319_144724.jpg20140319_144724.jpg
    #33 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I have run my friends around now, went to LaBrea today and the grove....

Ohp, you were right in my work-hood! Coulda stopped by and played some FGY!

#34 9 years ago

Wow. I came by Cali in March and it was like a ghost town around there

#35 9 years ago

Who is this mysterious man playing at 82?

image-538.jpgimage-538.jpg

#36 9 years ago

Damn...that bike ride and Hermosa last night were THE BOMB. After thinking about it for a night - that was the best bike ride of my life.

Today I think I have wore out my friends' "driving tourist around" welcome rug. And there is something going on here today that has the locals out warning the shopkeepers about parking issues stating at 11.30, so I don't want to deal with losing my parking spot. That being said...

Anyone up for drinks on me at Tony's in the crow's nest? or will it be TOO packed to sit down becasue of whatever is going on out here? I would love to meet you guys ! I would be up for anywhere I could walk to if Tony's is not appropriate. It's a weeknight for both of my remaining nights here though and also the fourth is like here - i know everyone is real busy.

I envy y'all. In a way I NEVER would have just reading.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I envy y'all. In a way I NEVER would have just reading.

You haven't seen my avocado grove yet.

#38 9 years ago

I love avocados.

#39 9 years ago

Me too!

#40 9 years ago

I feel like I have been lied to. But where did the lies come from? From the locals in California, like Hawaii? You know the old "you don't want to move out here " wink wink nudge nudge. Or do the locals where YOU live want to hide this from you because they are afraid you would leave? They don't want to lose their tax base , so, "California sucks" and then they come up with reasons. I really feel like I missed something.

It is also really freaky that there are like FOUR different weather systems in one town. Even NYC does not have that. Coastal area is so different from the desert areas.

Hey - is there an equivalent to NY1 here?

Fellow Southerners (and Texans) , wrap your mind around this - I have been here since Saturday with no AC. NO AC. And I am very comfortable, not tolerable, not adjusting to it...COMFORTABLE. Can you even imagine that in July? WHAT THE HELL!!! When I get home and it's 102 at midnight and 90% humidity...that's when I will invent the transporter finally.

There has been a massive secret kept here in SoCal. In Arkansas and Mississippi and Tennessee and Louisiana - we are not told of this place until we are adults. And then we discover it through TV and think it is a fantasy. Even the weather. Too good to be true. Awful place to raise your kids. Etc. Kudos to whoever kept the hillbillies out of here - but soon I am gonna run home to the holler and break the silence to the rest of my hillbilly brothers. Expect more of us.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I feel like I have been lied to. But where did the lies come from? From the locals in California, like Hawaii? You know the old "you don't want to move out here " wink wink nudge nudge. Or do the locals where YOU live want to hide this from you because they are afraid you would leave? They don't want to lose their tax base , so, "California sucks" and then they come up with reasons. I really feel like I missed something.

LOL...ya know, I don't shit talk California, but I don't gloat about it either...I think for a lot of people, if you live somewhere for a while, you just get used to it - maybe take the good things for granted. I grew up in Chicago, but I've lived here for 16 years. I still get nostalgic for IL fall & winter...I miss having fun in the snow. Then again, that's my kid brain ...I suppose I'm perfectly happy not having to scrape ice off my car or shovel the driveway, or skidding around on ice and flying off the road into a ditch. I DEFINITELY don't miss the humidity in the summer....humidity is my enemy! It's actually been kinda humid here lately - but that's me being a spoiled brat, cuz it's probably like 30% or something lol.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Kudos to whoever kept the hillbillies out of here

Maybe take a drive out to Riverside....

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Today I think I have wore out my friends' "driving tourist around" welcome rug. And there is something going on here today that has the locals out warning the shopkeepers about parking issues stating at 11.30, so I don't want to deal with losing my parking spot.

USA World Cup game is at 1pm, so imagine people are going to hit the bars to watch together.

What are you up to today?

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from textrivers:

Maybe take a drive out to Riverside....

Yeah, go to a wal mart anywhere in the 909. California is a pretty diverse state.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I have been here since Saturday with no AC. NO AC. And I am very comfortable, not tolerable, not adjusting to it...COMFORTABLE.

This is one of the reasons my electric bill is always around $20 a month. I use it maybe 3 days a year.

#46 9 years ago

Looks like . . . GO USA ... Hermosa seems like the spot so they dragging out there to watch the people and the game. Silvio's or Hennessy's or "any retarded bars like that" seems to be the words floating around here. Suddenly there is a sense of urgency LOL I will check in when we hit the couch again =)

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

There has been a massive secret kept here in SoCal. In Arkansas and Mississippi and Tennessee and Louisiana - we are not told of this place until we are adults. And then we discover it through TV and think it is a fantasy. Even the weather. Too good to be true. Awful place to raise your kids. Etc. Kudos to whoever kept the hillbillies out of here - but soon I am gonna run home to the holler and break the silence to the rest of my hillbilly brothers. Expect more of us.

I lived in Southern CA for 12 years and now live in South Carolina. It comes down to what's most important to you and the life style you prefer. Personally I love SC and would never move back to CA. I also preferred living in Nashville. I remember shoveling tumbleweeds in Palmdale when it was 110F wondering how the hell I ever ended up there. Lived in Northridge when the earthquake hit. Finally made it down to the nice part of Long Beach a couple blocks from the ocean. Loved it there but you pay a lot for the lifestyle and weather and the appeal wanes once you move from the sand to the freeway. Hope the moonshine business has been good to your hillbilly brothers.

#48 9 years ago

Great connection my brother. In fact the moonshine business is a big part of the arkansas/cali connection. I have viewed the moonshine growing in the fields of California and it is good. But mainly the beach is cool!

This trip I did not think I would get much chance to play pinball, but I did not think it would be ZERO. Looks like I will have to wait till my next time out here on my own. Which if there is any way will be soon and right down to that RV park on the beach. My firends just had planned thw whole trip for me and I am just blessed to have friends like this who would let me chill for a week, drive me around, tour guide me, I mean damn.

If I was not here on the beach I would be pissed about not getting to accept y'alls invitations. I want to express in public that the SoCal pinheads are quite righteous. I know it's far, and hot, and why the hell would you leave here, but if y'all EVER get out to arkansas, stop in, play golf, have a beer, fish for smallmouth in my backyard. Mi casa es su casa.

I also got invitations to go have drinks and lunch, it has been overwhelming, you guys are the best. My next trip out here will be for pinball.

I love it here! When y'all get up in the morning and it's 72 and nice...think of me in Arkansas, sweltering, where I will be imagining the beach Or at midnight here imagine us saying 'Damn the moon is HOT tonight' - no joke. 102 at midnight...what the hell...

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

This trip I did not think I would get much chance to play pinball, but I did not think it would be ZERO.

That's not right! I'll drive and pick you up, bring you back to my place and sit you in front of my pins if you're starting to get the shakes.

1 month later
    #50 9 years ago

I finally went down to 82 today to see what the heck its about. It's a nice place. I saw Molly fixing an Embryon with those characteristic long legs on her, LOL. Good selection of pins and video games and the machines didn't seem to be in disrepair unlike Insert Coins in Las Vegas. Like most pins though out in the wild too many of the games had the volume of the audio way too low. I hate that.

Will definitely go back. It's downtown LA so parking can be stupid and there are fuckin' bums everywhere, but what can you do...

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/los-angeles-redondo-where-to-play-and-where-is-mollys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.