Topic poll

“Lord of The Rings vs The Hobbit”

• Lord of The Rings 44 votes
    66%
  • The Hobbit 23 votes
    34%

(67 votes)

#1 4 years ago

There was a similar thread created a few years ago, but since the most recent code updates, The Hobbit deserves a second chance. Also, if you haven't played the Hobbit on most recent code and first wrote the game off like I did, you owe it to yourself to give it another shot. It's amazing.

I played Hobbit a few times when it first came out and hated it. Never could get into it, and thought the game was lame. I've recently been playing it again, and holy shit this game is unreal. The theme integration alone is the best I've seen in pinball. Maybe I just understand the objectives better now, but the code has come a long way since it first came out too.

LOTR was my Grail and I still think the game is incredible. I used to say if I could only have one it would be LOTR, no question. Now I'd have to go with the Hobbit. Amazing rules and super deep code. Sound, lights, video assets, etc are all spectacular.

If you could only have one, which would it be?

#2 4 years ago

This is a tough one. I love Lord of the Rings but now after the final few code updates have to go with Hobbit. The theme integration is off the charts, as are the light shows, wizard modes, etc. Keith Johnson, Ted Estes, and the team did an amazing job on code for The Hobbit.

For a long time myself and others were frustrated with the state of the code. I think a lot of fellow owners wanted it to be LOTR 2.0. With the final few updates I think it did become just that. Plus, the audio work by David Thiel is amazing and JJP hired a Hollywood level music company (Two Steps from Hell) to do custom tracks for every book mode. It's pretty insane just how much work went into this game.

Also, I just have to mention how damn good The Hobbit feels to play. Not only is there a true world under glass feeling but the game just feels like its built like a tank with quality spread throughout the cabinet, armor, and playfield components.

#3 4 years ago

Oofda... definitely a tough one. For me LOTR wins based on the fact that it still captures the classic pinball feel vs. the Hobbit being more modern. Nothing wrong with modern as it’s a fantastic game and would love to have BOTH, but if I had to chose it would be LOTR.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Oofda... definitely a tough one. For me LOTR wins based on the fact that it still captures the classic pinball feel vs. the Hobbit being more modern. Nothing wrong with modern as it’s a fantastic game and would love to have BOTH, but if I had to chose it would be LOTR.

I hear ya there. There's still something special about those DMD animations on LOTR's and the combination of the 3 main movie multiballs and Destroy the Ring. LOTR has more upfront progressive based multiballs with Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King MB while Hobbit really only has 1 being "Smaug Multiball". The Hobbit does have some more progressive based multiballs but they occur later in the game as mini wizard modes with those being the 3 Arkenstone modes.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there. There's still something special about those DMD animations on LOTR's and the combination of the 3 main movie multiballs and Destroy the Ring. LOTR has more upfront progressive based multiballs with Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King MB while Hobbit really only has 1 being "Smaug Multiball". The Hobbit does have some more progressive based multiballs but they occur later in the game as mini wizard modes with those being the 3 Arkenstone modes.

LOTR also has the allure of Valinor. I haven't gotten there yet but I love knowing it's there.

The Hobbit has There and Back Again as the final wizard mode, which you get by starting all 31 modes. I do wish that you could also get to TABA by starting all 3 Arkenstone modes. Or even a different wizard mode after starting all 3 Arkenstone modes.

#6 4 years ago

Yeah tough. Shots are better in the lord of the rings. Video though on the hobbit creates a deeper environment. Both rules are incredible.
Gotta stay at 50/50.

1 month later
#7 4 years ago

jjp for me im no pro of course so dont have a ton of time on lotr but seems all jjp stuff is just pretty awesome. need to play dialed in more hearing from lotta kats they like it. im so stoked i got to remt a hobbit gold for a month while were on lockkkkkk status. just broke a billy today. (i am using 5 balls tho for the fam/lil more time to play a game) ill prob try some 3 ball games and see how i do.. i love pirates.. love woz...willy wonka is pretty damn cool i need to play more.. love how the hobbit has this kinda airy vibe on the playfield the way the ball kinda floats? anyone ese experience that sensation w this game.. then its real solid tho shots ramps.. i dunno i love the game. hobbit fan too!

#8 4 years ago

Easy choice, LOTR wins this by a landslide on all accounts.

The only thing Hobbit has going for it are good LCD animations.
Everything else feels very subpar on Hobbit, especially compared to one of the best games ever made

#9 4 years ago

The Hobbit has the best theme integration in pinball, an amazing sound package with a better sound system, more toys, more shots, more playfield, and that beautiful display.

The Hobbit is more fun to watch and listen to, makes a better piece of game room decoration, and is better to show off to folks as an advanced piece of equipment.

The LOTR has a better layout, rules, and is more fun to play.

The Hobbit is more fun to show off, the LOTR is more fun to play.

Which will you be doing more often?

#10 4 years ago

Lord of the rings is a great game to own for 5 years or so, then switch to the hobbit. I did this and don’t regret letting Lotr go and really enjoy my hobbit. The hobbit is a more immersive game for me.

#11 4 years ago

I'll add one more thing. A cousin of mine has owned a single pinball machine since he purchased it new 15 years ago, Lord of the Rings. He has more games on LOTR then probably anyone in the world with over 6000 games on his (said he cleared the audits way back by mistake once too). Yes he's gotten to Valinor lol, 3x on default settings in 15 years. He had a chance to play The Hobbit at my place and was really impressed with way the game played, the theme integration, and the rules. I'm sure at some point he's going to get one.

#12 4 years ago

LOTR for sure , better movies , better pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-vs-the-hobbit?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.