Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 6 years ago

This could be epic if they bring the quality like GOT levels.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/entertainment/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon/index.html

#2 6 years ago

It's from Amazon not Netflix, but I'm stoked.

#3 6 years ago

I'm just worried they will screw it up but it could be awesome.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

It's from Amazon not Netflix, but I'm stoked.

Sorry, I’m less impressed with Amazon TV shows, but they do have a lot of money to throw around. Amazon spends hundreds of millions on Top Gear replacement (The Grand Tour).

#5 6 years ago

I think making tv series out of popular movie franchises is a mistake. Most of the spinoffs fail terribly. They are also turning Star Wars into a tv series, what a way to bastardize a great franchise.

#6 6 years ago

“Attack from Amazon” should be the next pinball theme..... they are literally taking over the world , destroying every brick and mortor store in their path !

#7 6 years ago

I’m in.

#8 6 years ago

......mortar.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

......mortar.

................Mordor.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think making tv series out of popular movie franchises is a mistake. Most of the spinoffs fail terribly. They are also turning Star Wars into a tv series, what a way to bastardize a great franchise.

I don’t mind, the worst that happens is it not good and so what? But if it is great it can be very great. Some people didn’t feel like GOT TV show was a good idea either.

And recall they are not making the TV show off a movie franchise but rather a book series.

Remember MASH TV show was based off a book, Justified, Sherlock, Outlander, True Blood, TWD based off books.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I don’t mind, the worst that happens is it not good and so what? But if it is great it can be very great. Some people didn’t feel like GOT TV show was a good idea either.
And recall they are not making the TV show off a movie franchise but rather a book series.
Remember MASH TV show was based off a book, Justified, Sherlock, Outlander, True Blood, TWD based off books.

yeah. Hope it is good. I think many who love LOTR's movies will get caught up in a "new" cast... But whatever, it is entertainment. If it is good...GOOD!

#12 6 years ago

In the "old" days of network TV, yeah TV shows adapted from movies usually completely sucked and were bombs (and yes I know there are a few notable exceptions). But obviously we're in a new golden age of television, where long-form story telling and high production is the new standard. Tv shows can be any length of time, not fit commercial schedules or follow traditional network seasons.

So, 10 years ago I would have dismissed this, but now, they may very well pull it off.

#13 6 years ago

I'd be in! The Marvel TV shows are all pretty entertaining. If LOTR is of same or better quality I think it would be a big hit. (Also, as far as Star Wars...even some of the Star Wars cartoon shows were pretty good and I don't those detracted from the franchise).

#14 6 years ago

Interesting curveball, the show will apparently be based on the Silmarillion instead of LOTR. This could be cool if they deal with the Valinor and the fall of Melkor.. but it could just as easily be Episode I-III. Gulp..

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

will apparently be based on the Silmarillion

Okay, I wasn't interested in this as a tv show at all, but if that's the plan.. I'm back in.

#16 6 years ago

I was afraid when this was just a rumor that it would be a remake (or reinterpretation) of the events and timeline of LOTR.

Now that it's shown to be set in the time before LOTR, I'm excited to at least give it a shot.

Not that I'm not at least a little pessimistic (like the rest of you) that they'll manage to screw it up.

I'll be dreaming of GOT and get something more along the lines of that Shannara Chronicles. (Sorry to anyone who liked it. I didn't make it thru one episode.)

#17 6 years ago

The exact quotes from the press release are:

“We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle-earth.”

(!? WHAT? The Tolkien Estate is cooperating?!)

This might be good.

Then I read this:
“Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

This might be really, really bad. Really bad. Are they going to be doing NEW stories? Amazon may not survive this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-tv-show-from-netflix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.