Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
2013-01-02_20-43-31_861.jpg
2013-01-02_20-41-40_473.jpg
lotr_ballguide_update-502-5021-80.jpg
#1 11 years ago

In my LOTR, I'm having some problems with balls often falling off the sword lock ramp (when locking for TT multiball). Is this a common issue? is there something I could do to the ramp to avoid this?

I know there was this ball lock guide shaped a little like a tent (my friend has one on his LOTR) but I can't find it anywhere.

I did find a kit to "downgrade" from the tent shaped guide back to the original (see http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=629 ) but that makes no sense to me. Or is my game the only one where balls drop off the sword lock ramp?

#2 11 years ago

I think you might have to adjust the micro switches. This used to happen to mine. My other 2 have the "tent".

#4 11 years ago

You mean raise the switch to give the ball some resistance and reducing the impact bounce from the white post?

This is the upgraded ball guide I was speaking of:

lotr_ballguide_update-502-5021-80.jpglotr_ballguide_update-502-5021-80.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Haha I was just copy pasting the above image from there

Unfortunately it's not in stock there.

#6 11 years ago

I always wondered why Stern changed the design. I "downgraded" to the original ball lock on my LOTR LE and I haven't had a single ball ever fall off. I guess I have been lucky...and hopefully didn't just jinx myself...!

#8 11 years ago

EDIT-see above post.
If you are unable to find the part on the internet. I would recommend contacting Gexchange. JJ is very helpful for locating Stern parts.

#9 11 years ago

Robin-
I switched out my tent style to the original with no problems.
PM me and I can send you my old one. (anything for the Godfather of Pinside)
By the way.. where the hell is Alkmaar?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Robin-

Pinheads helping pinheads, right on

#11 11 years ago

This was an issue on mostly 2003 runs. On later runs the added the "tent" and made the plunger lock (white plastic thingy that stops the balls) thicker. If yours is a 2003 run you might look at getting the thicker lock plunger.

#12 11 years ago

i don't have the tent version and never had any problems.

you mean your balls fall off the ramp when it gets over the switches?, i don't think the tent version will change anything, maybe your switches are too high or sword too low.

#13 11 years ago

I have a problem with the gate diverter on my LOTR- it opens but wont close back up- leaving the shot open to the vuk into potd. Is the gate spring loaded? what should I look at to get this working again?

thanks

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I have a problem with the gate diverter on my LOTR- it opens but wont close back up- leaving the shot open to the vuk into potd. Is the gate spring loaded? what should I look at to get this working again?
thanks

Look inside cover of the game manual and there is a detailed description of how to adjust the gate.
There is a spring so if that appears damaged you may need a replacement. It is also possible that the coil could just need to be cleaned up and also maybe replacing the coil sleeve if there is one.

#15 11 years ago

I have the real fix for this, haven't seen it posted yet. The problem is the plastic stop post isn't centered in the ball channel. The fix is easy: lift the pf, and manually bend the coil bracket a bit so the post is centered and straight. Done.

I swapped the tent/covered ramp guide to the original open one, and have no problems with balls dropping off once I adjusted the post.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Wow that's a nice offer! Alkmaar is in the Netherlands (that small country in Europe). I will first try the other suggestions and if nothing helps I will PM you for your "tent style" ball guide. Thanks a bunch for the nice offer!

Quoted from Marc:

This was an issue on mostly 2003 runs. On later runs the added the "tent" and made the plunger lock (white plastic thingy that stops the balls) thicker. If yours is a 2003 run you might look at getting the thicker lock plunger.

Wow, didn't know that. Where would one obtain the thicker plunger lock post?

Quoted from beatmaster:

you mean your balls fall off the ramp when it gets over the switches?, i don't think the tent version will change anything, maybe your switches are too high or sword too low.

Exactly. The ball will come down the sword ramp, do a little bounce against the white post and sometimes (50% in my case) fall off the ramp. This makes you end up with two balls in play when not supposed to. As soon as one ball drains the game doesn't stop fortunately, it neatly keeps track (great software thanks to Keith)

Quoted from StevenP:

I have the real fix for this, haven't seen it posted yet. The problem is the plastic stop post isn't centered in the ball channel. The fix is easy: lift the pf, and manually bend the coil bracket a bit so the post is centered and straight. Done.

Cool, gonna try that this weekend!

Quoted from denmark71:

I was having the same problem, turned out one of the the cable tubes (you know, the big black tubes holding all the cables going to the backbox) was somehow blocking the post. It's tight down there so make sure nothing is blocking the post from going back up. You might also want to bend the assembly slightly to make sure it moves freely.

THANKS EVERYONE for your input! I will go and try to fix the issue this weekend and post here if I succeed

1 week later
#17 11 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Wow, didn't know that. Where would one obtain the thicker plunger lock post?

Pinball Life sells them. I would think it is the updated version. Kinda wish I had taken a pic of the two different ones side by side when I still had the 2003 run game here. Oh well, maybe I'll get another one and get my pics then.

Here is the PBL link. I suppose you could also email Terry and have him measure the diameter to see if it is different than what you have.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=613

3 weeks later
#18 11 years ago

Took a bit longer before I could work on this issue but I finally found some time this weekend. I tried adjusting the location of the white nylon post, and I think it reduced the amount of balls popping of the sword, but it still happens occasionally. The game is perfectly level horizontally.

So it must be the nylon post thickness. It doesn't seem very strong. I'm gonna try and order the thicker version, hope that will stop the balls flying off the sword ramp.

#19 11 years ago

Much cheaper solution. Add a couple of these little black rubber posts on the sword ramp. They are the ones that are made to keep the motherboard in a PC from making contact with the metal housing. I will try to add a pic tomorrow.

#20 11 years ago

Not sure what you mean, patiently awaiting photo!

#21 11 years ago

Here are some pics from my cell phone.

2013-01-02_20-41-40_473.jpg2013-01-02_20-41-40_473.jpg 2013-01-02_20-43-31_861.jpg2013-01-02_20-43-31_861.jpg

#22 11 years ago

Just used the sticky that is on the bottom of them along with a little museum putty. They have not come loose yet.

#23 11 years ago

Very strange. I've never seen a ball come off the sword ramp when I owned the LE before, or the LOTR that I have on loan here now...or any that I've played on location. I never knew this was an issue.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very strange. I've never seen a ball come off the sword ramp when I owned the LE before, or the LOTR that I have on loan here now...or any that I've played on location. I never knew this was an issue.

Likewise. Guess we should consider ourselves lucky by the looks of it.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I have never had a ball come off in that location. Robin do you have your game at a much steeper pitch than 6.5 degrees possibly? Too much speed from excessive pitch could cause the ball to bounce when it hits the lock mechanism.

#26 11 years ago

I used the downgrade kit and balls started to drop off just as you described, I was a sucker for the original look. Put the tent sized one back on and the problem went away.

#27 11 years ago

For me it is when another ball comes down the ramp real quick and knocks one that is already there off the ramp.

#28 11 years ago

Anyone have an extra tent they don't use? I think that was a good update by Stern.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, it totally is. The ball flew off of the ramp on my non-"tent" LOTR about 4 out of 5 times regardless of pitch and many other factors. I finally got the tent and it has been perfect ever since. I'd highly recommend it to anyone with the problem.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Here are some pics from my cell phone.

Clever fix! Amazed that they stick. In my LOTR the balls that fall off fall of with quite some speed. From what I gather above I think might as well PM Ryan who so kindly offered his "tent" style ball guide as that seems to be the "offical" fix

Quoted from ryan1234:

Robin-

Ryan I PM'ed you!

#31 11 years ago

robin,

No problem. I got next though. Anyone have another tent?

After fixing my ring ramp issue (bad angle, switches not always making contact), I was able to score 302M on LOTR. Highest score ever. Also destroyed the ring once.

2 weeks later
#32 11 years ago

Ryan, you rock! Thanks for being so generous. Check out my "tent" lock and the left ramp habitrail...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#33 11 years ago

Looks good robin. Hoping I can be the next charity case for one. And yes, I know I can buy one.

9 years later
#34 1 year ago

So this appears to be the issue I have on my machine with the original ball lock where it will bounce off the post. It doesn't appear to the "tent" version is for sale anywhere anymore. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 39.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-sword-ramp-ball-lock-guide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.