• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Grefla
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grefla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

UPDATE: replaced the transistor again and tried the board in another game and it works fine. So, the issue is coming from something else in the game that makes that transistor blow adn fuise blow to left flipper immediately.
Wonder if the mpu can have any factor since the cabinet switch wires go to the mpu?
the EOS opens and closes fine, all wiring is intact at flipper assembly, coil is fine (even tried a new one).

Did you ever find the solution?

My LOTR is doing this too. But on the right flipper. The flipper Initially started dropping during gameplay then stoped working completely. I lifted the playfield to find the plastic plate on the coil had snapped and the diode had lifted off on one leg.

I replaced the diode, but when I turned it on the flipper didn’t work. The original issue
Blew the fuse.

when fuse was replaced I turned the machine on and the flipper locked on.

Transistor was fried. So changed the transistor. Turned it back on. Flipper didn’t jump up (Yay!). Started a game flipper worked and the second time I hit the flipper button the fuse blew.

Replaced the fuse and the flipper jumped up again! Board out, replaced the transistor again.

So I have been through several fuses, transistors and diodes.

I’m waiting for a new coil to arrive in the post so I can put that in and eliminate the coil as a cause. I note in your post that you tried a new coil and that didn’t fix it for you. I hope you found the problem,

#15 3 years ago

I've just put in a new coil - same issue.

Game starts up but as soon as I press the right flipper button the right flipper locks on - blows the transistor, then the fuse goes.

I've changed the flipper button switch - same issue

I have not changed the end of stroke switch yet

I've followed @Pin_Guy's advice about checking grounds between the flipper coil and ground - There is continuity between the coil and ground, however when I unplug from the board and test it there is not. Testing the pin it connects to = ground.

So new transistor in again - this is the 5th time I have changed it now.

rechecked the coil - no longer grounded.

interestingly neither of the flipper coils show continuity with ground when I close the switch at the flipper buttons. Are they supposed to?

Anyone have any other suggestions what to look for next? running out of Ideas and assuming now it is most likely a board issue.

2 months later
#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
Did you resolve your issue ?
My left flipper died recently, so I need to start debugging it. Reading through all material on pinside, it appears this can be rather complicated if I'm unlucky

I solved my problem.

In trouble shooting, I replaced the coil, diode, EOS, cabinet switch. But no change. And in doing this worked my way through 5 transistors and fuses.

That was enough for me, I I took it to a tech, who replaced the IO chip, and it’s working now.

So the initial problem was the diode breaking at the coil, but this obviously damaged the io chip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Grefla.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-left-flipper-woes?tu=Grefla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.