6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CCPorter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clifftop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi All

I'm new to social media, new to pins and new to this forum. Please be kind.

I bought an original Stern LOTR pin 4 years ago and its always worked fine until a few months ago. Background info that may help includes:
> The last service was when I bought it 4 years ago
> There is no obvious previous repair work that I can see
> There are no unusual noises, burning or smells coming from the pin
> I have access to a guy locally who can solder wires and components if needed
> I live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia - but haven't been able to find anyone local who can repairs pins - happy to bride someone with a free stay at our award winning 5 star accommodation in Hepburn Springs if they can help (that's where the pin is located)
> a Month before my problems with the LOTR pin started I installed a Cointakers LOTR LED kit

Here's my tale of woe:

The left flipper fuse (32mm, glass boody, silver metal ends, slow blow) burned out (clean break in wire about 2mm long with some scorching on glass) - it was a 3 amp slow blow fuse in a 3 amp socket. I replaced it and the pin played for 1-2 weeks before it blew out again. I replaced it again and it played for a week or so before burning out again. I did some web research which suggested I could change the fuse to 5 amp slow blow, I did this and it burned out the transistor (Q15) which are the one for the relevant flipper on LOTR pin. I had that transistor replaced by an electronics store that confirmed it was not working. I restarted the machine with the recommended 3 amp slow blow fuse and it blew immediately. So I put in a 4 amp slow blow fuse for left flipper and it then worked (for how longI am wondering?), BUT the right flipper transistor then blew instantly...it had a 4 amp slow blow fuse too.

My problem is that the 3 amps the fuses blow (sometimes immediately, sometimes after a week or so), but when I up the amps on the fuse the transistors blow. I can tell when the transistors blow because it moves to the up position and stays there as soon as the power is turned on. Also, when the machine is turned on the flipper fuses are warming up very quickly before they blow.

Can anyone help out with ideas for what the problem, might be. I can remove PCBs and other components etc and take them to the electronics shop as needed.

Thank you

David

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 39.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clifftop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-flipper-fuses-and-transistors-blowing?tu=clifftop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.