• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I noticed yesterday that my diverter didn't open up while playing War of the Ents and figured I'd check it out today. I open it up and sure enough, the wire on the right was no longer soldered to the coil. Easy enough. I soldered it back on, but the diverter still won't open up for the Orthanc shot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

#2 10 years ago

Check the fuses.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Check the fuses.

The ones on the I/O board, right?

#4 10 years ago

There may be a special under playfield fuse for that (3 amp slo-blo). The manual shows a fuse similar to the flipper fuses that are under the playfield.

#5 10 years ago

Fuse is good. Damn was hoping for something obvious.

#6 10 years ago

Go to the single coil test and test the diverter coil. Remember you need to pull the switch in the coin door to do the coil test.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Damn was hoping for something obvious.

You found a broken wire on the coil, perhaps there is another ?

The tiny wires from the coil to the coil lugs can break or crack. And unless you get in there and dig on them, you may not see it.

LTG : )

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You found a broken wire on the coil, perhaps there is another ?
The tiny wires from the coil to the coil lugs can break or crack. And unless you get in there and dig on them, you may not see it.

It does appear the there is a crack in the thin red wire, does it just need to be soldered up to where its cracked or does it need an all new coil?

#9 10 years ago

Is the crack between the coil and the solder connection? If so you likely could carefully try to solder the broken area or use a jumper. If the fix fails then get a new coil.
Whatever you do, make sure not to short anything.
Coils are usually less than $20.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

It does appear the there is a crack in the thin red wire, does it just need to be soldered up to where its cracked or does it need an all new coil?

You can solder it.

You do need to scrape or sand the red off so solder will stick to the copper wire.

#11 10 years ago

Scraped of the red, soldered it to the copper wire, still a no go. Also don't quite understand the single coil test. It doesn't seem to be doing anything when I test it, but neither does any coil I try to test.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Scraped of the red, soldered it to the copper wire, still a no go. Also don't quite understand the single coil test. It doesn't seem to be doing anything when I test it, but neither does any coil I try to test.

There is a high power interlock on the coin door you need to enable if the coin door is open.

Did you do that ?

Next step would be ground the transistor metal tab of the non working coil. If it fires the you have a board issue. If it doesn't fire, then from the transistor legs to the coil you have a break.

Or try a different known good coil in that spot.

#13 10 years ago

Looks like it's most likely a board issue. I just noticed the pops aren't firing either.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Close the coin door in test, otherwise no coils will fire in test.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Close the coin door in test, otherwise no coils will fire in test.

Or you can pull the white coin door switch out by hand to allow switch tests.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Looks like it's most likely a board issue. I just noticed the pops aren't firing either.

Did you see this part - just to be sure ?

There is a high power interlock on the coin door you need to enable if the coin door is open.

Did you do that ?

#17 10 years ago

Closed the door, and got the coils firing except for the diverter, the pops and the right tower.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Closed the door, and got the coils firing except for the diverter, the pops and the right tower.

Pull and check their fuse with a meter.

#19 10 years ago

Are they all on that same fuse under the playfield?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

Are they all on that same fuse under the playfield?

Check fuse at F21

#21 10 years ago

It sounds like a connector issue. J10 is the one for all of those. Try re-seating that connector and look under the playfield to see if another connector could be loose.

#22 10 years ago

F12 is good, j10 is good, and all connections underneath are good. Love this hobbie sometimes.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

F12 is good, j10 is good, and all connections underneath are good. Love this hobbie sometimes.

Just to be sure - you pulled them and checked with a meter ?

If so, then the wires from each coil not working. Check continuity of each wire from the coil to the board, to rule out a break along the way.

#24 10 years ago

On the plus side, I can still hit Orthanc from the back, the pops still count as hits, they're just not firing, and Barad Dur just insnt tipping over. At least all the items function until I can get to the bottom of this.

#25 10 years ago

The right tower, diverter, and bumpers all have a common Yel-Vio wire to them. My educated guess is you have a loose wire if they all don't work and you pulled the fuse, check it with a meter and it buzzed that it was good. With the game off, I would look for a loose wire.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Kingoftron:

So I noticed yesterday that my diverter didn't open up while playing War of the Ents and figured I'd check it out today. I open it up and sure enough, the wire on the right was no longer soldered to the coil. Easy enough. I soldered it back on, but the diverter still won't open up for the Orthanc shot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Hey if you still haven't figured this out send me a pm. I have a LOTR and can try to help.

#27 10 years ago

Having no luck here. Replaced the fuses just in case and can't find a loose wire anywhere. Totally stumped.

#28 10 years ago

Just found something interesting. Right underneath the shooter lane, here's a wire just hanging out. Trough and launcher work fine, where does this little guy go?

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#29 10 years ago

Same color wire as the right lug in the top picture, bottom lug in the bottom picture. On the silver band end of diode.

It gets soldered on there.

#30 10 years ago

That disconnected wire is most likely the disconnect of the 50 volts for the non-working coils.

I just checked the manual and the trough up-kicker and auto-launcher are tied to the same 50 volts as your non-working tower VUK, pop bumpers, and diverter.

#31 10 years ago

Think of the wires as an in-and-out connection. 50 volts is connected to the up-kicker coil with the first wire (the yellow wire that is still connected) and the second wire (the broken one) connects the 50 volts to the next coil (one of the coils that is not working).

#32 10 years ago

Problem solved! Thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated!

#33 10 years ago

Good job on the troubleshooting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-diverted-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.