Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by starbase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for a LoTR, and had a few questions for those who know, first, I think they first had metal aprons and then switched to plastic or something? If so does anyone know which years? Also, Ive heard of printing issues on the playfields, as in some years were sharper and others looked worse? Also the LTD's didnt have the 'toys' correct?

Also I was looking in the summer/late spring and it seemed that the actual selling prices were ~3500 for a routed and 4250-4500 for a HUO?

Any other advice would be welcomed, PM or post! Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

My LE has a metal apron and did not come with toys.
Make sure the Arwen plastic below the POTD is not cracked.
Look for the brass plating coming off by the buttons on LEs.

#3 11 years ago

The prices you've quoted are on the low side. I've seen many of these selling for or above $5k.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

~3500 for a routed and 4250-4500 for a HUO?

Yeah, thats higher now I think. People are asking in the $5s now for HUO

#5 11 years ago

Ok, are they actually selling for that though or just asking? The only ones I've seen now asking above 5k have been sitting around for a while. Any recent ebay auctions, as they are usually fair indicators of a current price? Last one I saw on ebay was a huo for ~4.3k (but again that was in ~june).

#6 11 years ago

I have seen NOTHING sell on Ebay lately for anywhere in the 5s, but most sales happen outside of ebay...

#7 11 years ago

I know two purchased in the last month. 1 huo paid just over 5. The other was routed clean with mods for 4600. My advice is wait. If your not in a rush your chances of finding a decent deal will increase. There are deals out there. ( If the prices do keep creeping up tho, I never gave you this advice.)

#8 11 years ago

Last legit home use only sold on ebay for $5200, I have tracking software, going rate is high 4 to 5k

early production models 2003-04 had much brighter better looking play fields.

#9 11 years ago

A friend of mine just picked up a nice condition machine that was routed for $3200. There are deals out there if you're patient.

#10 11 years ago

I purchased one 6 months ago routed 3100. I think you estimate is dead on.

#11 11 years ago

Best advice I can give you is to buy mine.

#13 11 years ago

$3,100? Wow. I have been watching these for months, and I've yet to see one in that price range anywhere within a day's drive.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I purchased one 6 months ago routed 3100. I think you estimate is dead on.

Thats a nice pull Skypilot, was there any major damage? Id imagine you can get one for this price if you know the right people.

#15 11 years ago

I think $4250-$4500 for a real HUO is fair.

Disclaimer: I own one.

No its not for sale & truthfully its full of so many mods I am likely the only person with negative equity in a HUO LOTR

Anyway it's a great game, I had my best round ever last night, damn I want to play it now!

Buy one!

#16 11 years ago

Have you played it yet? If not, you should come over and give mine a try to see if you like it.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Thats a nice pull Skypilot, was there any major damage? Id imagine you can get one for this price if you know the right people.

It was in a roller rink cabinet was scratched up on one side .it needed a few switches and sword lock rebuilt.
Traded it for a CP last month finally destroyed the ring the night before the trade.dont figure.

#18 11 years ago

I just picked mine up my HUO (non LE) this past September for $4500 and I am the third owner. I found Drano a local one with less than 500 plays and HUO for $5000. It is a great game and some things to look out for are:

1. Flipper button cab wear, note that this can not be touched up and only covered with side armor plates.
2. Cracked Arwin plastic
3. Tower and Gimli VUK hole wear, again if there is minor wear it can be covered by a Cliffy
4. Balrog lights up and switch registers hits
5. Make sure all figures are present and not missing if getting the non LE version
6. Wear in the Shire area

Good luck on your search and be patient for the right deal to come your way.

#19 11 years ago

I paid just over 5 for a mint HOU. I looked for 2 months and this was the least beat up one I could find. Routed one sold for 4800 in the bay area.

#20 11 years ago

I bought a routed one recently for $4k, more than I wanted to, but unfortunately the price is creeping up on this title. However, the playfield has nice vibrant color and the printing was spot on. It does not matter the year for the playfield quality, they are all over the place. Definitely don't buy one sight unseen. It could be a HUO with a terrible printed playfield.

#21 11 years ago

Like others have said be patient. I bought HUO machine 2 years ago for a price people told me was unrealistic. Since then I will say the price has taken off, but deals are still out there. I posted a WTB ad on Mr. Pinball and had at least 3 offers in my range. Those on the forums trend to forget there are pinball fans who don't frequent groups daily. Mr Pinball is a good way to find them.

Also when buying don't get talked into paying for modifications or upgrades someone else wanted that you don't. Just because the seller spent $200 on extra toys doesn't mean that adds $200 to the price. Same with LEDs, spending $100 doesn't automatically add that to the value. I wanted a machine that was stock. Now if it has the shaker motor installed that its an upgrade worth paying for.

#22 11 years ago

I paid 3100 for mine looked and looked for months... actually found it from a guy on ebay, it wasn't listed on ebay but he hooked me up with the guy who he knew and was in the market to get rid of it.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from sp005:

Also when buying don't get talked into paying for modifications or upgrades someone else wanted that you don't. Just because the seller spent $200 on extra toys doesn't mean that adds $200 to the price. Same with LEDs, spending $100 doesn't automatically add that to the value. I wanted a machine that was stock. Now if it has the shaker motor installed that its an upgrade worth paying for.

Up until your last sentence I was going to disagree and say, "unless it has a shaker".

That should really only bring the price up about $250, though. Costs about $200 to install yourself.

#24 11 years ago

I just picked up a routed machine for 3000, needed a good cleaning and a few minor repairs but other then that it is in great Shape.

#25 11 years ago

I've had my eye on the market for a bit now too - not too concerned about price, more so in some of the questions OP had. What are the differences between the different runs? The original run was the only one which included the playfield toys? Anything else to note?

#26 11 years ago

You can buy the play field toys on ebay and mod it up however you want! I prefer my LE without the look except for the POTD....best overall pin out there for me...!

Never gets old...

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

I've had my eye on the market for a bit now too - not too concerned about price, more so in some of the questions OP had. What are the differences between the different runs? The original run was the only one which included the playfield toys? Anything else to note?

Just to clarify, there were multiple runs of the non-LE LOTR, all of which I believe had the playfield figures. It was only the LOTR LEs that came without the figures.

#28 11 years ago

Quoted from libtech:Also, Ive heard of printing issues on the playfields, as in some years were sharper and others looked worse?

Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

However, the playfield has nice vibrant color and the printing was spot on. It does not matter the year for the playfield quality, they are all over the place. Definitely don't buy one sight unseen. It could be a HUO with a terrible printed playfield.

Huh. I had never heard of this before. My LOTR is from 2005, playfield looks fine to me. Now I am scared at pics of different playfields as I may start to not like mine. I think I will stick to ignorance is bliss...

#29 11 years ago

You said it best Paul, ignorance is bliss. I could stress myself out over which run and keep holding out for the perfect LOTR. In the end i went with the one with the least amount of use. The playfield looks clear I am not sure if it's part of the bad run of playfields, and am hoping for the best.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-buying-advice-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.