• 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Adaminski
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1833.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhoward1082.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

I am trying to replace the LED for Balrog in my LOTR. Balrog is currently using the LED Stern upgrade kit. It looks like the socket is for a #44, but it is using a 12.8v LED? Or at least the LED that came with the kit installed is 12.8v. I tried a 6v CT LED not realizing the voltage difference, it lit for a couple of secs and then went out. When I pulled the bulb out of the socket it was smoking hot, I'm assuming due to 13v running through it. Am I missing something really basic? What LED should I be using in this? No one even seems to sell 12.8v #44 style LEDs and I really don't want to buy the whole conversion kit again, just for the LED. Any help? Thanks

#3 11 years ago

That's what I figured. It seems no one carries the replacement Stern part though and I can't find anyone that makes an aftermarket #44 12.8v LED. What are other folks doing to replace this LED?

#6 11 years ago

Interesting, this actually may help a ton. Thanks for the lead. My last resort was going to be to replace the socket with the original #89 and just use an #89 LED. Not sure why Stern didn't go this route originally and instead had people change the socket. But I'll give these a shot. Thanks again

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You have an LE don't you?
The LE's changed from the 89s to flasher volt 44 style lights (maybe they started this in a last runs as well, I don't know). Stern uses a strange light for this that I've never seen used before. I ordered a special one from Japan for this, that is a 9 LED stacker, runs on 12v, and fits a 44 base. I'll try to find the ebay link, but I haven't received it to date, so I hope they haven't stiffed me.

No I have a standard. I think it was one of the later runs that had the LED conversion kit installed at the factory as I'm positive the guy I bought it from didn't install the kit himself. I can't believe this LED is so hard to find and the question hasn't come up more seeing as how LOTR is such a popular pin.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Cointaker sells flasher bulb LEDs also.

The problem is Stern, for whatever reason, changed the bulb socket to a #44 style in their Balrog LED conversion "fix." They then proceeded to produce 12.8v "flasher" LEDs to fit the #44 socket (which are no longer available of course).

#13 11 years ago

My ineloquent (quick and dirty) solution ended up being just ordering another Balrog fix kit which includes the LED. Thank God for action pinball which apparently still has a couple of the kits kicking around as pretty much every other usual source is sold out.

#16 11 years ago

I think there's at least one other Stern that used it too, POTC maybe? Marco has them in stock actually but only the blue color.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Ok, here is one with close to the same specs as the Stern LED bulb and you can get it in red:
http://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-flat-led-light.aspx

You're on a mission my man, good stuff. I'll have to check some of these out to see how they work. Hopefully this will help others too. I'm surprised more LOTR owners haven't chimed in with their solutions.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jhoward1082.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-balrog-led?tu=jhoward1082 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.