Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Adaminski
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1833.jpg

#1 7 years ago

I am trying to replace the LED for Balrog in my LOTR. Balrog is currently using the LED Stern upgrade kit. It looks like the socket is for a #44, but it is using a 12.8v LED? Or at least the LED that came with the kit installed is 12.8v. I tried a 6v CT LED not realizing the voltage difference, it lit for a couple of secs and then went out. When I pulled the bulb out of the socket it was smoking hot, I'm assuming due to 13v running through it. Am I missing something really basic? What LED should I be using in this? No one even seems to sell 12.8v #44 style LEDs and I really don't want to buy the whole conversion kit again, just for the LED. Any help? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Flashers typically get hit with 20 volts, which is why 12 volt bulbs are used.

You need to find something that can withstand the higher voltage.

LTG

#3 7 years ago

That's what I figured. It seems no one carries the replacement Stern part though and I can't find anyone that makes an aftermarket #44 12.8v LED. What are other folks doing to replace this LED?

#4 7 years ago

I bought mine thru Marco. Haven't had any trouble since. Make sure there is no short too. That's why mine kept blowing bulbs. They can get pinched in there.

#6 7 years ago

Interesting, this actually may help a ton. Thanks for the lead. My last resort was going to be to replace the socket with the original #89 and just use an #89 LED. Not sure why Stern didn't go this route originally and instead had people change the socket. But I'll give these a shot. Thanks again

#7 7 years ago

It is possible that your local auto parts store may have something. They use them for car tail lights.
12 volts is normal for automobiles.

#8 7 years ago

You have an LE don't you?

The LE's changed from the 89s to flasher volt 44 style lights (maybe they started this in a last runs as well, I don't know). Stern uses a strange light for this that I've never seen used before. I ordered a special one from Japan for this, that is a 9 LED stacker, runs on 12v, and fits a 44 base. I'll try to find the ebay link, but I haven't received it to date, so I hope they haven't stiffed me.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

You have an LE don't you?
The LE's changed from the 89s to flasher volt 44 style lights (maybe they started this in a last runs as well, I don't know). Stern uses a strange light for this that I've never seen used before. I ordered a special one from Japan for this, that is a 9 LED stacker, runs on 12v, and fits a 44 base. I'll try to find the ebay link, but I haven't received it to date, so I hope they haven't stiffed me.

No I have a standard. I think it was one of the later runs that had the LED conversion kit installed at the factory as I'm positive the guy I bought it from didn't install the kit himself. I can't believe this LED is so hard to find and the question hasn't come up more seeing as how LOTR is such a popular pin.

#10 7 years ago

Cointaker sells flasher bulb LEDs also.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think they have the smaller #44 size bayonet that are 12 volts. I only see 12volts that are #89 sized, or 6 volt #44 sized.
The Balrog LED does not appear to be an ordinary pinball style.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The problem is Stern, for whatever reason, changed the bulb socket to a #44 style in their Balrog LED conversion "fix." They then proceeded to produce 12.8v "flasher" LEDs to fit the #44 socket (which are no longer available of course).

#13 7 years ago

My ineloquent (quick and dirty) solution ended up being just ordering another Balrog fix kit which includes the LED. Thank God for action pinball which apparently still has a couple of the kits kicking around as pretty much every other usual source is sold out.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from jhoward1082:

Thank God for action pinball

They have the best ROM upgrade aswell.

#15 7 years ago

I just noticed that Nascar also has this LED in it:

http://www.sternpinball.com/N/78.pdf

#16 7 years ago

I think there's at least one other Stern that used it too, POTC maybe? Marco has them in stock actually but only the blue color.

#17 7 years ago

Ok, here is one with close to the same specs as the Stern LED bulb and you can get it in red:

http://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-flat-led-light.aspx

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Ok, here is one with close to the same specs as the Stern LED bulb and you can get it in red:
http://www.ledlight.com/ba9s-flat-led-light.aspx

You're on a mission my man, good stuff. I'll have to check some of these out to see how they work. Hopefully this will help others too. I'm surprised more LOTR owners haven't chimed in with their solutions.

#19 7 years ago

^I guess that not many people have lost that bulb since it is an LED.

I am pretty sure that last link I posted would be an acceptable option since the bulb basically is the same size and same current and is rated for at least 12 volts (i.e. 13.8V). Also the LOTR LE manual says it is a red LED (model #112-5023-02).

#20 7 years ago

Here is what I am waiting for:

ebay.com link » Ws

I hope it works, it will light that motha up something fierce.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

ebay.com link » Ws

Damn! Can't wait to see some video once you install that bad boy.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

ebay.com link » Ws

Definitely post pics and video when you get them. Thanks

#23 7 years ago

I emailed on the status, they said they haven't received them from their supplier, and to choose something else or wait, or return of money... my light is still working, but I want this for the "pop" value.

I guess I'll wait another month. I bought 2.

3 months later
#24 7 years ago

Bump. Any updates on a good bright LED replacement bulb?

#25 7 years ago

The bulb needs to be a BA9S type that is rated for 12 volts. It is probably best to get a red bulb so it will not wash out the color of the Balrog.

I am not sure how much clearance there is for the bulb inside but I would guess that the all sided surface mounted LED type would be the brightest if it fits within the Balrog:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-9-led-tower/9/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/

#26 7 years ago

Thanks for the reminder. Had these and never listed them. 5 Super Brights with a 44 base. They are like our Super 906's with the 44/47 base.

http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1468&categoryId=34

Chris

IMG_1833.jpg

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Thanks for the reminder. Had these and never listed them. 5 Super Brights with a 44 base. They are like our Super 906's with the 44/47 base.
http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=1468&categoryId=34
Chris

It looks like that would be a brighter LED than the LED Stern used in the Balrog, but it would probably be better if it was red rather than white.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It looks like that would be a brighter LED than the LED Stern used in the Balrog, but it would probably be better if it was red rather than white.

Red is not nearly as bright, but generally matching colors is a good rule of thumb.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from CoinTaker:

Red is not nearly as bright, but generally matching colors is a good rule of thumb.

So does that mean you'll be selling a red version?

1 month later
#30 6 years ago

Bump. Anyone found a suitable replacement? I'd get the Cointaker one, but I'm not sure how white would look.

I thought mine had the 89 socket, but it turned out it had a 44, and of course I had to try a 44 super bright I just got, and promptly killed it in a few seconds. Doh!

I might try that one linked from SuperBrightLEDS.com, but I'm not sure if it'd fit in the Balrog or not.

Maybe I'd just be better off switching it back to an 89 socket.

#31 6 years ago

I got the kit from Marcos. A couple more bucks but it works.

#32 6 years ago

Screw it, I'm switching it back to an 89 socket, I don't see the harm in that. I already have a super bright 89 led to use.

6 years later
#33 7 months ago

I read the advice from Pinside at the bottom of this thread, but I'm resurrecting it because it was helpful in my quest to fix my own Balrog light, and current info is hard to find. I thought I'd tack on a solution for 2019. See the following post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balrog-led#post-4935441

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside