View topic image gallery

Trnaslite-1.JPG
WP_003629.jpg
WP_003610.jpg
WP_003614.jpg
WP_003609.jpg
WP_003607.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I told Jay I would send him some pictures of how I mounted it, but you can't seem to do that through pinside mail.

Since I am so pleased with the results, I decided to make a post about it and kill 2 birds with one stone.

http://www.jayspinball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=188

I purchased a piece of this material for my LOTR backglass due to the insane glare on this machine and I must say, with it positioned properly it looks so much better. I can actually see what is going on now in the backfield.

I don't have pics of the actual glare reduction on the glass though sorry to disappoint, just the mounting method (which is very simple)

Bought some black mounting tape and trimmed the film to fit just over the plastic translite protector edges and affixed it right to the plastic. This way it keeps goop off of the glass and also adds the required little bit of space between the glass and the film for optimum results.

Just thought I would put the good word out that its deffinately worth a shot if your considering it. You just have to be carefull when you are trimming the film to fit the back glass as it will need to be trimmed to fit.

You can't see it in the pics, but the top edge also has a horizontal strip of the mounting tape so that when your putting the translite back in, it stays fairly flush with everything and goes into the grove nicely. The extra dark spots are the mounting tape underneath which you don't even notice unless they are being pointed out.

WP_003607.jpgWP_003607.jpg
WP_003609.jpgWP_003609.jpg
WP_003614.jpgWP_003614.jpg
WP_003610.jpgWP_003610.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Ok an after pic and movie.

WP_003629.jpgWP_003629.jpg
#3 10 years ago

Nice video, thanks for sharing this. You really have to look to see the reflection from the translite as opposed to without the film:

Trnaslite-1.JPGTrnaslite-1.JPG

#5 10 years ago

Different material. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison though. Has anyone installed them?

#6 10 years ago

Nice work but expensive. If all you want to do is eliminate the glare on the playfield glass, I wrapped a couple of sheets of printer paper around the flourescent tube and the glare is virtually gone. It diffuses the bright tube but doesnt dim the backglass. Im told others have used freezer paper but Printer paper worked fine.

Something to try before buying something at least....

#7 10 years ago

I've used a number of things to make the bulb less bright as well. In my experience though, you still get reflections directly related to how bright the translite is. If you darken it down to 20% of what it normally is, you get 20% of the reflection but you also get 20% of the light from the backbox. For some people that is well worth the tradoff, but if you enjoy your backbox art it can be an issue.

The concept with a 3M louvered film is that you get near full brightness from straight on (80%+) but almost no light at the angle of reflection (~ 5%). The film works great for DMDs because you don't need a lot of it but has been very problematic for translite film because the louvered film is 1) very expensive and 2) generally not available in the sizes needed.

It would be interesting to see what the PSM material is... although if it is just smoked glass one might as well just dim the source of the light behind it with paper, tape, etc as suggested.

-Jay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-backglass-glare-remediated-quite-well-by-jays-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.