(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by STLOkie
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCAFE749-D35B-4973-9CB7-52D8AF6704CE (resized).jpeg
D6CABEF1-BB23-4210-A455-097A2787FA2D (resized).jpeg
C61845CB-61BB-4845-8A9D-26EEBAB3E6DF (resized).jpeg
AFCCDD34-850D-439A-B725-695D482AA3DE (resized).jpeg
E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DeadFlip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 2 years ago

Hey Friends!
Stern let me reimagine the “Pin”, and it was a fun challenge making this game shine!
Had a lot of help from a lot of awesome people.

#32 2 years ago

Thanks all!!
The reveal will be on my test game actually, so they can pump out those sexy Godzillas!
Just wanted to give everyone a taste of what’s up!

#40 2 years ago

Waison in Code, Rob Blakeman was my engineer.
The Trex you shoot into the jungle (under her) and she spits the ball out!

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Would love to have that translite as an alternate option for my premium. I wonder if it's the same size? I always liked the LE backglass, and this thing is very similar.

same size for sure!!

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Looking closely at the lower ramp, looks like a mirror image of the Deadpool ramps.
Why not use something you've already engineered? Sure it saved on cost a little bit....
Later,
EV

The ramp is different than DP, we engineered it to be a fricken rocket coming around that curve! Cost was comparable! Trust me when I say I got every cent worth out of this game!!

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Does anyone off hand know if this playfield is particle board like the star wars home pin?

MDF yes, I think a certain kind tho?

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from Ponzie:

Way to go DeadFlip!
Looks like a SMART design that takes advantage of every little thing you could squeeze out of a home pin.
Hope it sells like gangbusters and we get to see you take on a big budget project at some point...
Love to see some of your freaking cool ideas that will appeal to people that love pinball (and not just that want to compete at pinball)
Congrats to you and your team.

THANKS! It was a wild experience for sure.
Also yes, buy all of these so they invite me back.

#285 2 years ago

Hey. Just popping in quick to say thank you again for all the awesome support!
We’re doing a short stream tonight on my test/prototype game to give a sneak peek at the shots! ❤️

#295 2 years ago

So let’s talk quick about tonight’s stream!

First off, this is weird revealing my own game.

Second, tonight’s stream will be fairly short. We’ll do a Q&A, play a couple games, kiss, and say goodnight. OH, and Laura Danger will be joining us! ❤️

Third, Stern is letting me do something we really haven’t done before, I’m showing you my personal test/prototype machine for the reveal! (We’ll do another one with the full production model soon!). I’m too dange excited to share this awesome game with you!!

Get your questions ready, I’ll be happy to answer all that I can!

What an honor, and holy smokes your support has been through the roof!

See you tonight!
Twitch.tv/Deadflip
Jack Danger

#296 2 years ago

And yea this will be recorded.

#309 2 years ago

Thanks so much for tuning in tonight!
What an absolute wild ride this has been.
❤️❤️

#313 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

How will the MDF hold up in most basements with zero control of humidity?

I’ll have to double check but I’m almost certain it’s moisture resistant MDF

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Cool stream DeadFlip and thanks for answering some of my questions. This may be my first pinball machine ever.
So your one comment about the music in the test machine - does that mean the final product won't have that JP theme from the movie? That was kind of the vibe I got based on your comments about DMCA notices lol. If not that one from the movie, is there one that you all made up?

Oh the music you heard will for sure be in the game. I was just saying that for streaming, that theme song gets dinged by DMCA sometimes!!!
Thank you for even considering getting this game! ❤️❤️

#318 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Already pre ordered before the stream! Will these have pre drilled holes for shaker motor compatibility?

You rock!!! ❤️❤️
Frick great question about shaker, I don’t think so? I’ll have to ask!!

#322 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Nice work! The game seems tons of fun to shoot and plenty of speed to keep it interesting. Very impressed. My friend just paid for one today for his family. (first pin)New pinheads coming in with this title for sure. How cool is that?!!!!!

Thanks and that’s fricken awesome!!
This whole situation is wild for sure! :O

#324 2 years ago

Here is the Q&A / Gameplay from tonight!

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from Blindseer:

Since its an MDF playfield are they using machine screws to hold things in because stripping an mdf playfield isnt something easy to refill like wood?

Spade bolts to hold most targets and mechs

Added over 3 years ago:

Meant Fin Shanks, not spade bolts.

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Great job Jack and team ,you really nailed the homepin for Stern .Glad to see your finally getting your shot budddy :)I have a few neighbors that come over and play and are hesitant because of today’s prices .I’ve already sent them the links to reveal and stream .

Thanks!! Stoked for this game to get out in the wild!
Thanks for spreading the word!

#365 2 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

I messaged my dealer here in Western Australia a few hours ago just to get an idea what the price will be in Aussie dollars... he told me the price and then told me there is only one left from his shipment due in January. So I bought it. Woot! I actually think this pin looks like tons of fun. Love the ramp jump shot. Will be a welcome addition to my small collection! Ok so how do we hack the screen and put in a bigger one?!

Oh heck yeahhhhhh!!!!

#366 2 years ago

Once we get a production game to our studio, we can show you all the nooks and crannies of the code!

#373 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Awesome man. When will this be?

Soon™ <3

#385 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

What's the best location to stick one of these under the glass? Let the modding begin! This pin needs a Jeep.
I'm thinking the back right corner. Ball could go right under it on the ramp.
[quoted image]

Haha yes. I actually had this on my prototype. Upsidedown on the plastic to the left of the top lanes. Makes it look like it fell off the bridge.

FFF719F9-5302-4807-AA55-B595C3975492 (resized).jpegFFF719F9-5302-4807-AA55-B595C3975492 (resized).jpeg
#392 2 years ago
Quoted from kool1:

Funny thing is - a lot of locations are "barcades" which are all set to free play anyway. The arcades are mostly card activated now.
The only place locally that has coinop pinballs is the bowling alley LOL.

Yeah I'm seeing a LOT of arcades go the "card reader" route.
Chicago has a little bit of all of em. Coin, Token, Card, PayRange, etc.

1 week later
#438 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Played this 3x this weekend at expo. It's an absolutely great shooter. The flow was awesome and just felt nice to shoot. I'd own one in a heartbeat and I think I'm going to go ahead and get one either for my office or toss in my son's room or something since I'm out of space.
I'd much rather have one of these for $4500 compared to what I could get right now at that same price.
Just my opinion though.[quoted image]

Glad you got to jam on it, thanks for checking it out!!!!!!!!!

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Thank you for taking the time to chat with my son. You’re the only pinball celebrity he knew because we love your streams and was super excited to meet you.
-Nash
[quoted image]

Heck yeah! Great meeting ya!!

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Had a blast playing the new JP home pin, shot extremely well and fluid.
Jack and Waisson were definitely in sync on this one and in their presentation.
Complimented Jack on his pin creation and can't wait to see what he can work on next outside the home pin restrictions of 1 node board and lower BOM
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the kind words, this was an awesome experience!

#462 2 years ago

We'll be getting one in studio soon to jam on it more.
The game was getting played non-stop at the show, so I'm sure there are more pinheads to offer up what they thought about it coming soon!
Can't wait to pop it back open to see what the over-all plays was for the entire show.

#464 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yeah, I played a couple games. Shoots like movie theater butter (that's a good thing). Small screen didn't bother me at all. Game does a good job of telling you what to do via inserts & callouts. Only time I made a point to look up was checking my raptor percentage, and it was easily readable. I'm not a "screen guy," much prefer games to show my status on the playfield if at all possible, and dislike JJP's overly busy slot machine display (nice analogy NashtyFunk).
Few things I wasn't a fan of, but are really no big deal.
- Both slings fire simultaneously, necessity of saving a transistor when using a single node board. Seems "cheap" since I'm a grizzled old pinball guy, but novice buyers will not notice or care. Pops, same thing.
- Rules are obviously a bit shallow/straightforward, by design I'm sure. Again, this wouldn't be a downside for many buyers, could actually be a plus.
- Both ramps feed their respective flipper, makes them endlessly loopable (which is kinda cool at first), but I prefer a criss-cross, everything feeds something else style layout. Not really a knock, just personal taste. Casual players probably can't loop a ton of ramps anyway.
- T-Rex takes a while to kick out after you hit the saucer. I guess it's delayed to show the count remaining? First couple times I thought it didn't land on the switch. Might need more audio feedback to show you hit it (unless I just couldn't hear it in there).
I only mention the small negatives to be fully honest/unbiased, not at all to slam Jack or the Stern team who knocked it out of the park at this price point.

Thanks for the feedback!
We're tweaking a few things you touched on that we also heard from several others. (More notably the TREX timing)
The rules are a throwback to MM, AFM, and even the SWHomePin. Shoot the shot a lot to make it do a thing!
Also going to make the Raptor Multi easier to start.

#466 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Is the code gonna be an as is thing, or are there gonna be updates? Any topper integration?

When the game gets packed, the code will be the code. Not to say we can't fix unforeseen issues, but the goal is to ship a complete package.
Yes to topper integration, I gotta poke Waison to see to what degree!

#471 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I talked to my distributor today when I went to get some parts for the GOTG I just picked up, and he mentioned how well the JP pin played while he was in Chicago. He’s pretty honest with his opinion, so that was high praise.
Looks like I might need to sell my restored Arduino controlled Trident and my freshly restored Spring Break. Then again I’ll probably want another pin to work on.

I’ll take said high praise!! ❤️
And yeah once you start restoring games, the itch never goes away, no matter how many you work on. Haha

#473 2 years ago

My prototype will be at MGC this weekend!
Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

1 week later
#474 2 years ago

636 plays over the two shows.
Thanks for jamming on it and all your feedback!

03BC6BC5-EAE8-4273-A541-8C17D74D0929 (resized).jpeg03BC6BC5-EAE8-4273-A541-8C17D74D0929 (resized).jpeg
#478 2 years ago

Yeah this will have full audits available on the production game.

2 weeks later
#498 2 years ago
Quoted from demandecan55:

Is the translite the same size as the Pro/Premium version? And is it the same translite as the LE?
If so I am willing to buy someone's, or swap for my Premium with cash included. Message me.

Confirmed same size as a cornerstone!

#499 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Well, went ahead and pulled the trigger on this since I'll be able to get it Friday or Monday. Too much fun at that price to not. Cant wait to play it.

OH HECK YEAAAAAAH!

#500 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Got my shipping notification, hopefully will have it set up and playing late next week!

<3 <3 <3 <3

#516 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Got mine today.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

<3 <3 <3

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from Venetic:

Had a few long balls but overall it was pretty short ball times. It ships with the outlane posts at widest, and i didnt even realize until the end that the tilt bob was wrapped and zip tied, so next time it will be even harder to nudge around haha. It fast and sorta mean at times but the shots are very satisfying, especially when the combos start happening.

Shipping the game with the lanes wide open was a choice I made and damnit I’m sticking to it.

#529 2 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

This is how you know its a Jack Danger pin

*nods*

#536 2 years ago
Quoted from Aries_pinside:

So I've had the machine for two days now - about 50 plays in. Made it to the Nublar wizard mode once - still haven't done the restore power wizard mode. I think it's just a really good game lol. I'm biased, but my advice is that you should take every opportunity to flip on this machine. It's a machine of the same caliber as AFM and MM, despite the 'compromises' of a home pin. Possibly a great tournament machine?
But first, the cons, which some aren't really 'cons' per se. Basically all can be summed up with 'home pin'.
- The single speaker saddens me. I didn't think I would care about it as much as I do, but turns out I do care. Luckily, I feel it and a headphone jack are an easy upgrade definitely on my list of mods.
- The machine itself is loud. Pops and slings firing simultaneously is unnoticeable from a gameplay perspective, but man do you notice how loud they are when they fire together. Flippers sound like knocker hits almost. Might be something with the lockbar/siderails/MDF/cabinet construction not blocking as much sound? I think some soundproofing foam around the lockbar and a sub/speaker to cover the hole in the bottom of the cabinet will help remedy it.
- The side rails someone mentioned above is basically just plastic T-molding held in by gravity, as they are terrible at gripping the cabinet walls. Any time the lock bar is off, you should fear the glass sliding out or lifting off of the cabinet at any time. See the pics for a better idea of the side rails:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
- Not really a con now that it's fixed, but the machine is so fast I had to modify the right wireform to keep the ball from jumping out. (thanks DeadFlip for the tip - bend where the wireform mount to make it 'lean in' a little)
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
- Gate into the raptor pen has the same 'issue' as the gate on the JP Pro/Prem/LE model, where the gate opens too wide and gives the ball time to enter and exit without being trapped. The unpredictability is fun (and by design on the more expensive model, according to Elwin), but I think I prefer it getting trapped in there more often. I went ahead and put a piece of mylar on mine. A spring would have been nice but would increase the BOM so I understand.
[quoted image]
- This might be nitpicky, but the icons on the screen aren't on the same side as the shots on the table. The left shots on the table are Brach, Ptero, Trike - but the right 'icons' are Brach, Ptero, Stego. I've caught myself thinking I need to hit Stegosaurus when I really need Triceratops, and vice versa. Easy code fix, I'd assume - just swap the location of the Stego and Triceratops icons. I think eventually I'll just get used to it.
Now that that's all out of the way... The things I like!
- Perfect difficulty for me. Short ball times with the outlanes in the factory position (they feel a mile wide and you are basically at risk of draining any time a ball hits a sling. The slings feel damn powerful and damn sensitive, at least on my machine). Skilled/lucky play can lengthen the ball time, but Spinosaurus shots and T-Rex shots are always going to be risky. I'd be curious to hear if a 'pro' finds this machine hard or not.
- The game is super fast and I can't help but flip wild - comboing a million shots is just so much fun.
- It's my opinion that this is the perfect game to practice on and 'git gud' at pinball. Knowing ball control is pretty important if you want it to last longer than 10 seconds. You are 'rewarded' for dead flipping balls coming from the left orbit because it goes into the raptor pen 3/5ths of the time. You are encouraged to live catch balls coming from the right orbit; it's the perfect angle and usually only comes at you at one speed from the pops. All shots feed the same flipper, which might be considered a negative, but it means it requires you to post pass if you want to hit a specific shot from the other side; there isn't any other reliable way to move the ball from one side to the other. Nudging is important; the outlanes are a looming threat and you have to be ready for anything the moment the ball gets anywhere near a sling. This machine is going to make me a better player.
- The game has a good "simple, but hard" feel that AFM and MM has. I consider the rules of JDJP to be a pro and not a con. I hate not knowing how I just did a thing, or having to remember what I'm supposed to do next. Complicated rules is a quick way for me to just glaze over and just start 'shooting the flashing shots', to the detriment of my score (basically every Stern game in the last few years does this to me - Godzilla, JP Pro, TMNT, etc).
Anyways, TL;DR - game good. Happy with purchase.

Thanks for sharing all this!

#570 2 years ago
Quoted from Venetic:

Got to Nublar for my first time, didn't do well at it, but I got there. Based on shot count to get there i'd compare it closest to getting to the 2nd total isolation in stranger things. It's getting easier as im dialing in the shots, but still having just as much fun as the first game I put on it! here is the 8ish minute run to get there -

YOU MADE IT!!!
Get Restore Power now!

#572 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Unboxed and hitting the flippers! First impressions are good, fun to flip, but GI is a bit on the dark side. We'll get it dialed in but are very happy so far.
[quoted image]

HECK YEAH!

#594 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon64:

It almost seems like the clear acrylic is too "flat" after the initial ramp and it just rests in that area, happens with small to medium shots up the left ramp. It just sits in the flat area indefinitely. I would think that gravity plus the design of the ramp/acrylic would force the ball downwards on a soft shot and not "hang" there...

Wow yeah that's odd that it just chills there. I've never witnessed that. Odd.
The Flipper button, I'm assuming, probably didn't have the e-clip pushed onto it all the way.
Your distro should get you all sorted for sure.
Thanks for sharing!

#595 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon64:

I've pushed it out from the wall a bit, and I was sure it was probably an issue with leveling, but it's definitely level. Doesn't appear to be blocked by plastic or something else when pushing it through.
I'll probably just utilize the warranty service from my distributor just to be safe, and I know these things are put together by hand...

So when you walk the ball through the ramp by hand, it's not binding on anything?
There shouldnt be and way to "pinch" the ball up there, and the plastic should guide it back down the ramp.

#597 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon64:

How about the behavior that happens when you press both buttons simultaneously -- should the back box light "flicker"? That's what I'm observing...

It's not something I've noticed, but I'll take a look tomorrow and get back to ya.

#598 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon64:

When I walk the ball up, it doesn't 'pinch'. The sheer length that the acrylic stays "flat", combined with shots up the ramp that aren't powerful enough to get past that flat area are the primary reasons for this behavior.
Yeah I'll let the dist. handle the button thing, no big deal.
How about the behavior that happens when you press both buttons simultaneously -- should the back box light "flicker"? That's what I'm observing...

Bummed you're having issues, hopefully these all get sorted out!

#600 2 years ago
Quoted from Xenon64:

I hope so too, discouraged with these issues out of the box...the gameplay is really nice for what it's worth!

Your distro should be able to get you sorted!
<3 <3 <3

#607 2 years ago

Yeah the black shroud in the coin door is a home-use regulation thing to stop people/kids from reaching electrical components. That’s all.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

DeadFlip - I posted this in the other thread, can I remove this sticker in the left outline below?[quoted image]

Yeah that sticker is just covering a routing hole we use in the factory is all.

Also, I’m sure the shroud does help a bit with noise.

#612 2 years ago
Quoted from Aries_pinside:

Just because I wanted to go down the rabbit hole and also maybe shed some light for anyone wanting more info about the differences of a home pin - here's how power distribution works on this machine:[quoted image]
The two pairs of wire that go off to the lower left go to the CPU Node board and the Cabinet Node board. One of the three of those 48v rails coming from the power supply are tied together using wire nuts (right side) and feed the connectors on the left. Those two connectors in my hand are blanks, and I would assume are there for modding or future expansion needs.
On the cornerstone machines, all 3 are on a connector that is fed into that power distribution board, which is then broken out to the node boards, etc. On this machine, everything is drawing straight from the power supply.

My dude doing the investigative reporting Ha! <3

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

I installed some 5 1/4" JBLs I had from a Deadpool LE and some red surrounds. Hardest part was trying to document it all to share how to do it. You'll need at least one 4" speaker plate or pair of 5 1/4" plates (with speaker mounting studs), and they'll need to have a hole drilled on each end. Speakerlightkits.com has them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#625 2 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Thanks! Those are also available at Speakerlightkits.com or Pinball Life. Finally made it to Restore Power last night. It helped having the proper ride to rescue all those workers. [quoted image]

YOOOOO CONGRATS!
restore is NOT easy to get to.

1 week later
#691 2 years ago

Score issue sent to Waison to look into!

#694 2 years ago
Quoted from mrSATURN2012:

Deadflip, thank you, sir! Can I just say, you made an excellent game and you're such a credit to the community.

My pleasure, and thank you for the kind words!
You all supported the crap out of me and now I'm officially on the Design Team at stern!
Thank you all so dang much for the support. Honestly. <3
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/twitch-pinball-superstar-jack-danger-joins-stern-pinballs-game-design-studio-301448323.html

#697 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Congrats!
I hope this doesn’t mean you won’t be continuing with your streaming though.

Stream will continue! In fact, Stern is actively working with me to make sure we figure out how to keep it unaffected!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DeadFlip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate?tu=DeadFlip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.