(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by STLOkie
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCAFE749-D35B-4973-9CB7-52D8AF6704CE (resized).jpeg
D6CABEF1-BB23-4210-A455-097A2787FA2D (resized).jpeg
C61845CB-61BB-4845-8A9D-26EEBAB3E6DF (resized).jpeg
AFCCDD34-850D-439A-B725-695D482AA3DE (resized).jpeg
E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
#401 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They should stop installing coin mechs and start installing dollar bill acceptors.

...Or they should make a system that works with your phone... eh?

Oh wait, they did...

#402 2 years ago

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They should stop installing coin mechs and start installing dollar bill acceptors.

I vote for stern installing dollar bill dispensers!

#403 2 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

I vote for stern installing dollar bill dispensers!

Apparently they are impossible to find right now

#404 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Canadian machines locally take $1 and $2 coins.

Most places charge $1 a game now (3 for $2), not surprising given the price of machines.

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from simbob:

I messaged my dealer here in Western Australia a few hours ago just to get an idea what the price will be in Aussie dollars... he told me the price and then told me there is only one left from his shipment due in January. So I bought it. Woot! I actually think this pin looks like tons of fun. Love the ramp jump shot. Will be a welcome addition to my small collection! Ok so how do we hack the screen and put in a bigger one?!

I would be interested in doing that as well. I am planning on installing pinwoofers and have talked to someone who put them on their star wars home pin. I wonder if anyone with the star wars model has upgraded the LCD size and could provide an example.
I’m planning on doing every upgrade to this possible as it is a very beloved IP of mine and the layout on the 2019 premium wasn’t for me(I sold mine last year). I’m pleased to have another shot at a modern Jurassic Park with a wider shot layout and simpler/ easier rules.

#406 2 years ago

So with the general Stern price increases I've been reading about on this forum happening in Jan 2022, is there any word if that is also going to apply to this Home Pin Stern line?

Like is the MSRP on this game going to increase once 2022 happens?

#407 2 years ago

I wouldn't bet against it.

#408 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

So with the general Stern price increases I've been reading about on this forum happening in Jan 2022, is there any word if that is also going to apply to this Home Pin Stern line?

I was actually surprised when I saw this was the same price as the Star Wars Home pin.

#409 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Yes, home pins should have already increased when Godzilla started shipping if they stuck to the info from the Godzilla announcement:

https://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=4269

"Similarly, after we start Godzilla, all The Pin games shipped will have a $300 wholesale price increase."

#410 2 years ago
Quoted from CryHavoc:

Yes, home pins should have already increased when Godzilla started shipping if they stuck to the info from the Godzilla announcement:
https://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=4269
"Similarly, after we start Godzilla, all The Pin games shipped will have a $300 wholesale price increase."

Hmm okay thanks for that.

As mentioned right above your post, it's strange it is the same price as the previous The Pin release in Star Wars, if it was supposed to have the $300 price increase.

#411 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Hmm okay thanks for that.
As mentioned right above your post, it's strange it is the same price as the previous The Pin release in Star Wars, if it was supposed to have the $300 price increase.

All I can say is if you want one of these lock in your price and buy now. Maybe an intro price to grab some initial orders?

I suspect they will increase the price eventually.

#412 2 years ago

buy a Cheaper real pinball machine. this is SHIET !!!!! For the money

Quoted from kool1:

All I can say is if you want one of these lock in your price and buy now. Maybe an intro price to grab some initial orders?
I suspect they will increase the price eventually.

#413 2 years ago

I keep hearing the cost argument, and maybe it's my fault, but I just don't see it.
Only 8 games in a 500 mile radius from Dallas (7 if you don't count SlugFest). You might be saying "Why not just increase your budget to higher than 5000", but you don't realize the 5000 is already the 'increased' amount. A quote for a brand new, in box, with warranty, just a few miles from me, pinball machine, is $4761.92 out the door. Buying a Tales From the Crypt or T2 *plus* the cost of the trip, and the risk that she might "look better in the pictures" makes the choice entirely preference. It really comes down to if you like the IP and if you want a new game or an old game. The cost isn't an argument, imo.

Pinside Market Search (resized).pngPinside Market Search (resized).png
#414 2 years ago
Quoted from Aries_pinside:

I keep hearing the cost argument, and maybe it's my fault, but I just don't see it.
Only 8 games in a 500 mile radius from Dallas (7 if you don't count SlugFest). You might be saying "Why not just increase your budget to higher than 5000", but you don't realize the 5000 is already the 'increased' amount. A quote for a brand new, in box, with warranty, just a few miles from me, pinball machine, is $4761.92 out the door. Buying a Tales From the Crypt or T2 *plus* the cost of the trip, and the risk that she might "look better in the pictures" makes the choice entirely preference. It really comes down to if you like the IP and if you want a new game or an old game. The cost isn't an argument, imo.
[quoted image]

Totally agree with you. The IP component is huge too! Anything that says Star Wars or Jurassic Park on it has drastically more appeal to myself (an enthusiast), a layperson, or someone that may be new to the hobby.

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

buy a Cheaper real pinball machine. this is SHIET !!!!! For the money

It is a real pinball machine - just different wood, no coin door and a smaller DMD.

Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Totally agree with you. The IP component is huge too! Anything that says Star Wars or Jurassic Park on it has drastically more appeal to myself (an enthusiast), a layperson, or someone that may be new to the hobby.

Given the price of any machine these days and these IPs, you will not get stuck with one. Resale should be decent.

#416 2 years ago

Call it a fake machine all you want, I am unreasonably excited about this release and will proudly set it next to my "real" machines. Hoping production models get on the line soon!

#417 2 years ago

I wonder if the modder community will come out with a bigger monitor for this game. Deadflip had direct video, which suggests there's a regular video out, so then it's a question of figuring out what'll fit.

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I wonder if the modder community will come out with a bigger monitor for this game. Deadflip had direct video, which suggests there's a regular video out, so then it's a question of figuring out what'll fit.

Assuming it's the same hardware/electronics as the Star Wars Pin, someone already has:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-home-edition-fan-club/page/5#post-6569434

#419 2 years ago

Assuming it's the same hardware/electronics as the Star Wars Pin, someone already has:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-wars-home-edition-fan-club/page/5#post-6569434

Although some people will miss the translite art, I think that's a big improvement over the postage stamp screen.

#420 2 years ago

This might be a hot take, but people complaining about the screen size must really love their video modes. I for one would gladly save the cost of a large screen (that I will rarely look at anyways). That being said, having the entire translite be a screen is pretty awesome lol.

#421 2 years ago

This might be a hot take, but people complaining about the screen size must really love their video modes. I for one would gladly save the cost of a large screen (that I will rarely look at anyways). That being said, having the entire translite be a screen is pretty awesome lol.

I’m with you. I glance up quick to check my scoring, but the rest of the time is eyes on the playfield. The video is really for those standing around watching.

#422 2 years ago

[quoted image]

But you’re not really comparing apples with apples….the JP Pin is a cheaply built game designed for the home - cheap cabinet, stripped back mechs (like slings and pops that don’t work independently), chipboard pf. The games you list are mostly commercial full featured games that have survived decades of use and still going strong - they should be compared to a Stern Pro or even Premium.

#423 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But you’re not really comparing apples with apples….the JP Pin is a cheaply built game designed for the home - cheap cabinet, stripped back mechs (like slings and pops that don’t work independently), chipboard pf. The games you list are commercial full featured games that should be compared to a Stern Pro or even Premium.

Comparing a 30 year old players condition machine to a NIB one certainly isn't apples to apples, I agree. Implying I can get a 'good' machine with $5,000 dollars is arguing in bad faith, and what I was hoping to display with the screenshot. For 5k I can get an old players condition machine, or this new Stern one. Neither is a bad choice!

#424 2 years ago

Comparing a 30 year old players condition machine to a NIB one certainly isn't apples to apples, I agree. Implying I can get a 'good' machine with $5,000 dollars is arguing in bad faith, and what I was hoping to display with the screenshot. For 5k I can get an old players condition machine, or this new Stern one. Neither is a bad choice!

If I get an old players condition machine I’m going to want to restore it, and spend more money in the process.

#425 2 years ago

it is Not commercial grade !! / Buy commercial grade older than spike games or yes you get a New age(CHEAP made but cost Real machine money ) Homepin /

Quoted from kool1:

It is a real pinball machine

people complaining about the screen size

I do not care about the size /other than for the cost of thePIN Spending the small amount less for the tiny screen did not help thePin to stay anywhere a homepin affordable price which brings me back to buy a 4.5k on the Real Deal pinball machines of old. they are out there as another user posted all the under 5 k games available..

Would be more Parts to go around if they stopped putting them in this high priced Thepin that is what a Stern Pro was just 2 years ago . Come on and get of your high and mighty thrones and stop defending Stern's pricing increases /
Stern makes Great games yes. Did not say they don't . THEY ARE CHEAP and Rake Coin from tards paying over 6k for any version

the pin is an illusion of savings for people who do not see the writing on the wall..
pinball prices is geared like gasoline pricing it seems ,so hope it comes back down to an acceptable level , this is downright a joke now

#426 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

it is Not commercial grade !! / Buy commercial grade older than spike games or yes you get a New age(CHEAP made but cost Real machine money ) Homepin /

I do not care about the size /other than for the cost of thePIN Spending the small amount less for the tiny screen did not help thePin to stay anywhere a homepin affordable price which brings me back to buy a 4.5k on the Real Deal pinball machines of old. they are out there as another user posted all the under 5 k games available..
Would be more Parts to go around if they stopped putting them in this high priced Thepin that is what a Stern Pro was just 2 years ago . Come on and get of your high and mighty thrones and stop defending Stern's pricing increases /
Stern makes Great games yes. Did not say they don't . THEY ARE CHEAP and Rake Coin from tards paying over 6k for any version
the pin is an illusion of savings for people who do not see the writing on the wall..
pinball prices is geared like gasoline pricing it seems ,so hope it comes back down to an acceptable level , this is downright a joke now

I think you should buy it if you think it is fun and you think it is worth the money. Like they say, opinions are like ass holes, everyone’s got one.

#427 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I think you should buy it if you think it is fun and you think it is worth the money. Like they say, opinions are like ass holes, everyone’s got one.

And they all stink!

#428 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

And they all stink!

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

as another user posted all the under 5 k games available..

All 7 of them... The point of that post being that there *aren't* many games under 5k available.

#430 2 years ago

Personally I'd rather they just got rid of the LCD all together. I look at the playfield when playing, not a screen. There are people in this thread saying that if you don't want to spend the high price on new Stern games you should just spend the money on an old system 11 game or something similar. Those games didn't have any LCDs and no one cared.

Give me an old fashioned 7 segment display for my score and spend the BOM on the playfield where it actually matters. Spend time on meaningful call-outs that tie into the theme so I can hear them while I play. If I wanted to watch a screen I'd play a video game.

#431 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Call it a fake machine all you want, I am unreasonably excited about this release and will proudly set it next to my "real" machines. Hoping production models get on the line soon!

Haha I feel the same!

#432 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

Personally I'd rather they just got rid of the LCD all together. I look at the playfield when playing, not a screen. There are people in this thread saying that if you don't want to spend the high price on new Stern games you should just spend the money on an old system 11 game or something similar. Those games didn't have any LCDs and no one cared.

I play new Stern's at a couple of local places and almost never look at the screens until I drain. LCD DMDs are more for people watching.

I get that they look cool but I'm more interested in the game itself.

#433 2 years ago

Played this 3x this weekend at expo. It's an absolutely great shooter. The flow was awesome and just felt nice to shoot. I'd own one in a heartbeat and I think I'm going to go ahead and get one either for my office or toss in my son's room or something since I'm out of space.
I'd much rather have one of these for $4500 compared to what I could get right now at that same price.
Just my opinion though.

AE4C6106-9BB9-4AD8-99CF-15728116F698 (resized).jpegAE4C6106-9BB9-4AD8-99CF-15728116F698 (resized).jpeg
#434 2 years ago

This might be a hot take, but people complaining about the screen size must really love their video modes

No, because your scores and all info are also on that postage stamp screen. It's legit small.

Putting a 13" monitor with new speaker box+translite would be a great $500 mod opportunity.

#435 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Played this 3x this weekend at expo. It's an absolutely great shooter. The flow was awesome and just felt nice to shoot. I'd own one in a heartbeat and I think I'm going to go ahead and get one either for my office or toss in my son's room or something since I'm out of space.
I'd much rather have one of these for $4500 compared to what I could get right now at that same price.
Just my opinion though.[quoted image]

Can you give a comparison on how it feels compared to a JP Pro?

Is the smaller/lighter size noticeable at all and "feel" smaller/cheaper by any means?

I am on the fence with getting this home version brand new or just splurging and getting a JP Pro used for a little bit more. I'm going to check one out locally tomorrow.

One of the two is most likely going to be my first pin.

#436 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, because your scores and all info are also on that postage stamp screen. It's legit small.
Putting a 13" monitor with new speaker box+translite would be a great $500 mod opportunity.

It's legit small if you cram all the detail into it that you would a large screen ala Jersey Jack. A UI designed for a smaller screen should not give the player any issue.

#437 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think it would severely impact the proportions because the metal of the lower half of the back box is smaller, the translite is standard size. If you were gonna do that u would have to do something to the translite.

#438 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Just my opinion though.[quoted image]

Glad you got to jam on it, thanks for checking it out!!!!!!!!!

#439 2 years ago

I have a JP Premium, and have put a bunch of games on it. It's kind of hard to compare the two because they play so different. The Home Pin "Feels" exactly like any other pin. It's quick and snappy, shots are really satisfying and the flow is excellent. I especially like the right ramp. It feels a lot like the left Deadpool ramp but it whips the ball around quicker. It's a combo machine. The code on the full JP Pro is awesome in a home environment and can be played for a really long time. I never get further than about halfway through the paddocks myself.
They're two different experiences for sure, and I really like them both and would own both. I think if $$ was a factor, I'd have zero issue buying the home pin. I think it's plenty deep enough for most people in a home environment.
The line was long as it was popular so I didnt get to play it as much as I would need to for a better synopsis. I think the stream of it would give more clarity into the code.

Quoted from purbeast:

Can you give a comparison on how it feels compared to a JP Pro?
Is the smaller/lighter size noticeable at all and "feel" smaller/cheaper by any means?
I am on the fence with getting this home version brand new or just splurging and getting a JP Pro used for a little bit more. I'm going to check one out locally tomorrow.
One of the two is most likely going to be my first pin.

#440 2 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to chat with my son. You’re the only pinball celebrity he knew because we love your streams and was super excited to meet you.
-Nash

Quoted from DeadFlip:

Glad you got to jam on it, thanks for checking it out!!!!!!!!!

24BD72AA-00D0-41F2-9185-B33AB4AAE5C2 (resized).jpeg24BD72AA-00D0-41F2-9185-B33AB4AAE5C2 (resized).jpeg
#441 2 years ago

Had a blast playing the new JP home pin, shot extremely well and fluid.

Jack and Waisson were definitely in sync on this one and in their presentation.

Complimented Jack on his pin creation and can't wait to see what he can work on next outside the home pin restrictions of 1 node board and lower BOM

20211030_130400 (resized).jpg20211030_130400 (resized).jpg20211030_165245 (resized).jpg20211030_165245 (resized).jpg20211030_165309 (resized).jpg20211030_165309 (resized).jpg20211030_165426 (resized).jpg20211030_165426 (resized).jpg20211030_165430 (resized).jpg20211030_165430 (resized).jpg
#442 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

It's legit small if you cram all the detail into it that you would a large screen ala Jersey Jack. A UI designed for a smaller screen should not give the player any issue.

'should' and 'are' are different things. The UI of the screen is done - we know what it is. It could benefit from a bigger screen, regardless of 'video modes' or other non-sense. It's small for the player to read and really is the last piece between why someone would buy a pro over this IMO.

It's a legit modern pinball game... with legit mechanics (all tho at times different designs) and legit game play.

#443 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I think it would severely impact the proportions because the metal of the lower half of the back box is smaller, the translite is standard size. If you were gonna do that u would have to do something to the translite.

which is why I said...
"Putting a 13" monitor with new speaker box+translite would be a great $500 mod opportunity."

You'd have to change out the entire front of the head... which is why I said 'new speaker box+translite"

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Thank you for taking the time to chat with my son. You’re the only pinball celebrity he knew because we love your streams and was super excited to meet you.
-Nash
[quoted image]

Heck yeah! Great meeting ya!!

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Complimented Jack on his pin creation and can't wait to see what he can work on next outside the home pin restrictions of 1 node board and lower BOM
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the kind words, this was an awesome experience!

#446 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I have a JP Premium, and have put a bunch of games on it. It's kind of hard to compare the two because they play so different. The Home Pin "Feels" exactly like any other pin. It's quick and snappy, shots are really satisfying and the flow is excellent. I especially like the right ramp. It feels a lot like the left Deadpool ramp but it whips the ball around quicker. It's a combo machine. The code on the full JP Pro is awesome in a home environment and can be played for a really long time. I never get further than about halfway through the paddocks myself.
They're two different experiences for sure, and I really like them both and would own both. I think if $$ was a factor, I'd have zero issue buying the home pin. I think it's plenty deep enough for most people in a home environment.
The line was long as it was popular so I didnt get to play it as much as I would need to for a better synopsis. I think the stream of it would give more clarity into the code.

Cool thanks for the detailed writeup. Now it makes my decision even harder lol.

With all the concern about the smaller screen on there, did you find it to be an issue at all?

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

That topper... is... amazing...

#448 2 years ago

Not even a little. The screen is for people watching, not me when I'm playing. I'm listening to have an idea of what to do and looking for indicators on the playfield. I don't even know what's going on with the screen while playing and in a home environment when you have the rule set down, I dont think it's a factor.
The difference for me is like JJP pins when it becomes information overload on the screen. Played a few games of Wonka and WOZ at expo and while I liked it, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on with the screens while trapping the ball etc. It reminded me of a slot machine actually.

I wouldn't let the small screen stop you. I'd say play both and see how you feel, but obviously that's hard to do. I don't think you'd be disappointed either way because they're both great games.

Quoted from purbeast:

Cool thanks for the detailed writeup. Now it makes my decision even harder lol.
With all the concern about the smaller screen on there, did you find it to be an issue at all?

#449 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

fooflighter Thanks for snapping pictures of the white woods. As an engineer, I love seeing how it goes from initial concept through the design phase. So cool.

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Not even a little. The screen is for people watching, not me when I'm playing. I'm listening to have an idea of what to do and looking for indicators on the playfield. I don't even know what's going on with the screen while playing and in a home environment when you have the rule set down, I dont think it's a factor.
The difference for me is like JJP pins when it becomes information overload on the screen. Played a few games of Wonka and WOZ at expo and while I liked it, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on with the screens while trapping the ball etc. It reminded me of a slot machine actually.
I wouldn't let the small screen stop you. I'd say play both and see how you feel, but obviously that's hard to do. I don't think you'd be disappointed either way because they're both great games.

Okay cool thanks again. All of this information makes me feel that if i end up with The Pin that I will enjoy it and won't be spending quite as much.

I've played JP Pro quite a bit and I'm checking out one I may be purchasing tomorrow. But again it costs a bit more and is used. There is something about getting a brand new machine that does indeed intrigue me too, just unboxing it and putting it together, and this will be my first pin. But, I also know I like JP Pro and this one appears to be in good condition.

Decisions decisions...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.