(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 737 posts
  • 190 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 days ago by AMSNL
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg
FE1DF6FD-AF96-4933-8AA7-3B3F78177956 (resized).jpeg
A394E2D9-1856-4FA0-A6DB-B9535FA990E0 (resized).jpeg
3CB54FE6-19E6-43B3-9501-26D2E454EA70 (resized).jpeg
95E57ED9-FA7F-401C-AFB2-80303E5FDCDD (resized).jpeg

There are 737 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.
#351 7 months ago

Good job Jack,
Looks like a fun game, so glad the game has metal wire-forms/habit rails, they look so much better than plastic, pity Mando pro couldn't ship with them too.

Hope Stern keep giving you projects to work on, after all, pinball is fun.

#352 7 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I recall this was a nightmare for Costco and why we are unlikely to see them there again

Oh yeah?

Can you elaborate on that at all?

#353 7 months ago

Also does anyone know the exact dimensions of this one?

I know they said the physical size is a bit smaller, like not as deep, but the actual flyer on Stern's website shows that this Home edition is identical in size to the Pro version. So now I'm a bit confused by that. I know they said the playfield is the same size though.

I am pretty tight on room so I was just trying to figure out where I would put this (or any pin if/when I get one lol) in the space that I have.

#354 7 months ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Also does anyone know the exact dimensions of this one?
I know they said the physical size is a bit smaller, like not as deep, but the actual flyer on Stern's website shows that this Home edition is identical in size to the Pro version. So now I'm a bit confused by that. I know they said the playfield is the same size though.
I am pretty tight on room so I was just trying to figure out where I would put this (or any pin if/when I get one lol) in the space that I have.

These are the specs on the SW home pin

8DE7DC6C-C375-42B6-B797-44FFE2B74083 (resized).png
#355 7 months ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

These are the specs on the SW home pin
[quoted image]

Gotcha, but that is for Star Wars.

Check out these 2 flyers.

Jurassic Park Pin - https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Jurassic-Park-Pin-Flyer-4fadsf.pdf

Jurassic Park Pro - https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Jurassic-Park-PRO-Flyer.pdf

At the bottom left of the first page of both of those, you can see the dimensions are identical.

But I know they said in the stream yesterday it's a bit different so that is why I am confused. Was that perhaps just the test unit was a bit smaller?

#356 7 months ago

Jack clarified several times - the Playfield is the exact same size as a normal pro/premium/le machine, but the cabinet itself is slightly smaller. Being not quite as long depth/length wise, and slightly shorter height backbox, by a couple inches. With the same size translite in the backbox.

Honestly this looks really fun. I think the raptor pen looks like more fun the the pen on the Pro... Trex seems cooler too.

And if they use t-nuts or other solid fastener solutions and don't just screw anything into the MDF, the MDF might actually be better than ply for the Playfield... It won't dimple as easily and won't show planking through the clear.

#357 7 months ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Gotcha, but that is for Star Wars.
Check out these 2 flyers.
Jurassic Park Pin - https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Jurassic-Park-Pin-Flyer-4fadsf.pdf
Jurassic Park Pro - https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Jurassic-Park-PRO-Flyer.pdf
At the bottom left of the first page of both of those, you can see the dimensions are identical.
But I know they said in the stream yesterday it's a bit different so that is why I am confused. Was that perhaps just the test unit was a bit smaller?

lt's 65ibs less than the commercial models, that's definitely different.

#358 7 months ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Jack clarified several times - the Playfield is the exact same size as a normal pro/premium/le machine, but the cabinet itself is slightly smaller. Being not quite as long depth/length wise, and slightly shorter height backbox, by a couple inches. With the same size translite in the backbox.
Honestly this looks really fun. I think the raptor pen looks like more fun the the pen on the Pro... Trex seems cooler too.
And if they use t-nuts or other solid fastener solutions and don't just screw anything into the MDF, the MDF might actually be better than ply for the Playfield... It won't dimple as easily and won't show planking through the clear.

Yeah I am just wondering exactly how much less depth it has. Height isn't as much an issue but I'd like to know that too. As I said I don't have much space with the 4 arcade cabinets I have and I was trying to measure out my basement to see where I could fit it so having exact measurements would be helpful lol.

I am confused though as why the official flyer would be so wrong too, especially if it's 65lbs lighter. That's pretty significant considering that the commercial ones are 250lbs. That is like 25% less weight. Where would all that weight be lost from? Is MDF that much more light than what is used in commercial? Is the whole cabinet MDF or just the playfield?

#359 7 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It goes on and on. These are all good solid games. Real pinball games with history and nostalgia.

I dont get it. I also dont care, but it's something new to talk about.

New buyers want to buy new stuff...

Same reason all the new people into 'real' pinball keep buying the NIB games faster and faster even when there are thousands of cheaper great proven games available.

Buying used is fearful for many or they think 'new' will just always be better.

#360 7 months ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Oh yeah?
Can you elaborate on that at all?

It's different times and different circumstances... not really all that applicable.

When Stern first did the 'the pin' they tried to get it in outlets besides their typical distribution network. The early games weren't all that compelling and a high priced, large sized, low volume unit like this isn't exactly what Retailers want. Plus, those retailers want margins and terms far more consumer and retailer friendly then Stern has with it's commercial distributors.

Stern tried a limited test with Coscto with a stripped down version of Batman TDK - https://www.pinballnews.com/news/batmanlite.html - but that was a finite sized test. It also didn't go well in the sense the games just didn't sell (not differentiated enough for the price). If I recall there were stories about the games setup in the stores being broke, etc. Background - https://www.pinballnews.com/news/batmanlite.html

Now we see 'the pin' as a optimized platform with some compromises, but still very much benefiting from the economies of scale and engineering Stern has in their main games... the 'what you get' has climbed significantly while the price differentiation with the full version games continues to improve due the price escalation of pros. And it seems Stern is sticking to their distributors who do a lot more retail now... vs trying to get into other large scale consumer retailers.

#361 7 months ago

flynnibus thanks for that explanation, makes sense!

Each day that passes I am kind of leaning more and more towards this being my first pinball machine. And it just happens to coincide with my 40th birthday happening in late November so I just have a build in excuse.

I watched the video on YouTube of someone unboxing/building/playing Star Wars Pin and there is just something about putting together a brand new machine that seems oh so fulfilling.

#362 7 months ago
Quoted from purbeast:

flynnibus thanks for that explanation, makes sense!
Each day that passes I am kind of leaning more and more towards this being my first pinball machine. And it just happens to coincide with my 40th birthday happening in late November so I just have a build in excuse.
I watched the video on YouTube of someone unboxing/building/playing Star Wars Pin and there is just something about putting together a brand new machine that seems oh so fulfilling.

IMO this pin looks perfect for starting out with your first one .After getting through the excitement of “flipping wild” at first ,I had a long road of learning how to really play pinball and still not close yet .Honestly it looks like it’s only a shot or two from a pro at a big discount plus it looks incredible .

#363 7 months ago
Quoted from Donnyman:

lt's 65ibs less than the commercial models, that's definitely different.

Should allow an easier time for children to do death saves..

Rob

#364 7 months ago

I messaged my dealer here in Western Australia a few hours ago just to get an idea what the price will be in Aussie dollars... he told me the price and then told me there is only one left from his shipment due in January. So I bought it. Woot! I actually think this pin looks like tons of fun. Love the ramp jump shot. Will be a welcome addition to my small collection! Ok so how do we hack the screen and put in a bigger one?!

#365 7 months ago
Quoted from simbob:

I messaged my dealer here in Western Australia a few hours ago just to get an idea what the price will be in Aussie dollars... he told me the price and then told me there is only one left from his shipment due in January. So I bought it. Woot! I actually think this pin looks like tons of fun. Love the ramp jump shot. Will be a welcome addition to my small collection! Ok so how do we hack the screen and put in a bigger one?!

Oh heck yeahhhhhh!!!!

#366 7 months ago

Once we get a production game to our studio, we can show you all the nooks and crannies of the code!

#367 7 months ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Is it too early for anyone to say or know if this will be sold at Costco? I saw some of the other home pins were (at least Transformers and buddy said Star Wars was too).
It would be pretty neat to go try it out and then just pick one up and take it home. Oh and their return policy would be helpful too lol.

Never say never - I'm sure Costco would be open to selling them again.

I only wonder if they will have enough supply to get them in before Christmas...

#368 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Never say never - I'm sure Costco would be open to selling them again.
I only wonder if they will have enough supply to get them in before Christmas...

If they do get it, I’ll buy one.

#369 7 months ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Once we get a production game to our studio, we can show you all the nooks and crannies of the code!

Awesome man. When will this be?

#370 7 months ago

Stern can expect to sell close to zero of these in the UK...
Screenshot_20211018_193029_com.android.chrome (resized).jpg

That's $8241!!!

#371 7 months ago

Wow, your distributors should be selling this for $3351 pounds at MSRP ($4600)! What's going on there? A giant tax and shipping?

Quoted from Kevlar:

Stern can expect to sell close to zero of these in the UK...
[quoted image]
That's $8241!!!

#372 7 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Wow, your distributors should be selling this for $3351 pounds at MSRP ($4600)! What's going on there? A giant tax and shipping?

2 middle men, Electrocoin are the importers but don't sell to public, then the distros of which I think there are 4. Pros are £7100 here now, and premiums £10k!

#373 7 months ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Awesome man. When will this be?

Soon™ <3

#374 7 months ago

What's the best location to stick one of these under the glass? Let the modding begin! This pin needs a Jeep.

I'm thinking the back right corner. Ball could go right under it on the ramp.

jada-143-jurassic-world-jeep-wrangler-in-window-box-143-scale-diecast-model-by-jada-toys-ja97074__93054.1594423766 (resized).jpg

#375 7 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

2 middle men, Electrocoin are the importers but don't sell to public, then the distros of which I think there are 4. Pros are £7100 here now, and premiums £10k!

Is my math correct? Are you saying premiums are close to $14k?

#376 7 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

What's the best location to stick one of these under the glass? Let the modding begin! This pin needs a Jeep.
[quoted image]

I dunno. I think the playfield looks pretty good as is.

#377 7 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

[quoted image]

I love it!

#378 7 months ago

I recall Jack interviewing Steve Richie; It may have been the Virtual Expo 2020. Steve started to elude to Jack having a Stern project in the works. Jack shut him down before the cat was out of the bag. Hmmm, I wonder if Jurassic Park Home Pin was the project; Meeeeooooowwww.

Nice Pin. Hope to see more of your work.

#379 7 months ago

I might actually consider getting this. Hard pass at first, but now I kinda dig it.

#380 7 months ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

I might actually consider getting this. Hard pass at first, but now I kinda dig it.

I felt the same way but once I actually looked at it I couldn’t turn away. I think the home pin gets a bad wrap but I have zero shame and a lot of excitement about ordering it.

#381 7 months ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

Is my math correct? Are you saying premiums are close to $14k?

Yes, exactly that. It's ridiculous, and it's nothing to do with Brexit, it was the same before brexit. Only issue now is we can't import from Europe, we used to be able to save quite a bit of money doing that.

Anyway, enough of my moaning, machine looks great.

#382 7 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Cost here in oz for mine was $7600 AUD ($5670 USD). Pro versions of recent games are approx $8000 USD. And by way of comparison, I think this machine is good value (regardless of the prices 2 years ago or 20 years ago) Can't wait for January for mine to arrive. I also like the idea of a fast, simple shooter in the house, always good for friends or family to have a game (Because strangely they dont want to watch me spend 20 mins+ of my turn playing one game on machines like my BM 66...

#383 7 months ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I felt the same way but once I actually looked at it I couldn’t turn away. I think the home pin gets a bad wrap but I have zero shame and a lot of excitement about ordering it.

I had a Transformers PIN, I get it. Not horrible but not like a real machine either. I think some past home pins left a bad taste in some peoples mouths but they have obviously gotten much better and the market is mostly home these days anyway. It's not like operators are calling when I sell a pin asking if the coin slots work lol.

#384 7 months ago

Oops! Posted twice. How do I delete this sucker....?

#385 7 months ago
Quoted from ArcadeRaid:

[quoted image]

Haha yes. I actually had this on my prototype. Upsidedown on the plastic to the left of the top lanes. Makes it look like it fell off the bridge.

FFF719F9-5302-4807-AA55-B595C3975492 (resized).jpeg
#386 7 months ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Haha yes. I actually had this on my prototype. Upsidedown on the plastic to the left of the top lanes. Makes it look like it fell off the bridge. [quoted image]

I'm guessing the licencing from Jeep would be a deal breaker. Better to leave it off and let people add the right one than put some "not a Jeep" custom toy in there. Thanks for sharing!

#387 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

I had a Transformers PIN, I get it. Not horrible but not like a real machine either. I think some past home pins left a bad taste in some peoples mouths but they have obviously gotten much better and the market is mostly home these days anyway. It's not like operators are calling when I sell a pin asking if the coin slots work lol.

So true. I feel like so many of the pinball machines being produced are for homes. Probably like 80%. Could do without coin op and insider connected on all Stern’s if it puts more in the build budget towards mechs.

#388 7 months ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

I feel like so many of the pinball machines being produced are for homes. Probably like 80%.

Maybe the LEs are 80% home buyers, but home buyers certainly aren’t dominating the market.
I suspect you would be surprised by what a small percentage home buyers make up the market. These are large, heavy, noisy, expensive machines that require maintenance. There are not a lot of consumers who have the money and a space to put them.

If it were 80%, or anywhere even close to 50%, having coin mechs would become a selectable option.

#389 7 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Maybe the LEs are 80% home buyers, but home buyers certainly aren’t dominating the market.
I suspect you would be surprised by what a small percentage home buyers make up the market. These are large, heavy, noisy, expensive machines that require maintenance. There are not a lot of consumers who have the money and a space to put them.
If it were 80%, or anywhere even close to 50%, having coin mechs would become a selectable option.

Does anyone know the commercial/home number? - I don't know if Stern publishes anything.

Locally not many arcades or bars with new Sterns so my feeling has always been well over 50% of the market is home.

#390 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Does anyone know the commercial/home number? - I don't know if Stern publishes anything.
Locally not many arcades or bars with new Sterns so my feeling has always been well over 50% of the market is home.

I agree.

If Stern would remove the coin mechs, people would whine. Cheap price to pay to keep the whiners at bay and the machine is location ready regardless.

#391 7 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I agree.
If Stern would remove the coin mechs, people would whine. Cheap price to pay to keep the whiners at bay and the machine is location ready regardless.

Funny thing is - a lot of locations are "barcades" which are all set to free play anyway. The arcades are mostly card activated now.

The only place locally that has coinop pinballs is the bowling alley LOL.

#392 7 months ago
Quoted from kool1:

Funny thing is - a lot of locations are "barcades" which are all set to free play anyway. The arcades are mostly card activated now.
The only place locally that has coinop pinballs is the bowling alley LOL.

Yeah I'm seeing a LOT of arcades go the "card reader" route.
Chicago has a little bit of all of em. Coin, Token, Card, PayRange, etc.

#393 7 months ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Yeah I'm seeing a LOT of arcades go the "card reader" route.
Chicago has a little bit of all of em. Coin, Token, Card, PayRange, etc.

Yep, not to mention your Dave & Busters, Main Event etc are usually card based.

Tampa, oddly enough, is kinda a hot bed for pinball action. We have a number of barcades (Lowry Parcade and Gametime) which are coin op and card based, and our own pinball museum (Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs) which is all free play. Most of the breweries around here that have a tap room (and many a trendy taco place) are starting to see routed machines show up, which is really cool, and those are all coin op. Bowling alleys around here all have pins, and those are coin op.

Local to central Florida, there are a lot of arcades that are attached to resorts, and they are a mix of coin op and cards. I've had a drink and played a few at a number of the Disney resorts (go figure they have Star Wars and GOTG).

#394 7 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

If Stern would remove the coin mechs, people would whine

People might whine, but if it saves money and doesn't affect sales...

Money talks.

#395 7 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Money talks.

I think when it’s a machine specifically geared for the “home” market I would be really curious to see what it could take out of the bomb omitting coin op hardware/software.
If it puts premium like mechs/toys at a 6500-7k nib price point I would be thrilled. Call it home pin plus model.

#396 7 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Money talks.

Stern is notorious for removing things and raising the price.

If they removed coin mechs I'd not be the least bit surprised if the price didn't move a jot.

#397 7 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Stern is notorious for removing things and raising the price.
If they removed coin mechs I'd not be the least bit surprised if the price didn't move a jot.

Do US sterns come with a coin mech? in the UK they don't, just a coin door ready for a mech.

#398 7 months ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

If it puts premium like mechs/toys at a 6500-7k nib price point I would be thrilled. Call it home pin plus model.

An LE version of a home centric pin could be cool. I would assume there would be some price point overlap with a Pro version, so you might have to limit the production numbers keeping it a true LE to keep from poaching buyers of the commercial models (also people will whine - see every thread of how pinball is too expensive)

#399 7 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Do US sterns come with a coin mech?

Yes, Two of them

#400 7 months ago

They should stop installing coin mechs and start installing dollar bill acceptors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 599.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 737 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!