(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by STLOkie
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCAFE749-D35B-4973-9CB7-52D8AF6704CE (resized).jpeg
D6CABEF1-BB23-4210-A455-097A2787FA2D (resized).jpeg
C61845CB-61BB-4845-8A9D-26EEBAB3E6DF (resized).jpeg
AFCCDD34-850D-439A-B725-695D482AA3DE (resized).jpeg
E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

When I saw the title 'When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth' prominently displayed on the backbox I thought that was odd since that title, as most Hammer Horror fans could tell you, is the title of a movie from 1970. A banner with the same title falls to the ground in Jurassic Park but can briefly be read. I figured that was a 'shout out' to the 'Hammer' movie. I can't imagine that Stern would pay a licensing fee for that name, especially being that the movie is obscure and would add no value. Sure enough, I looked it up and the movie has fallen into the public domain due to being published without a copyright notice.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

ahem

20200603_172214 (resized).jpg20200603_172214 (resized).jpg
#202 2 years ago

Is this an MDF playfield?

vvvvv (resized).jpgvvvvv (resized).jpg

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

[quoted image]

yes. answered many times already

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

[quoted image]

It's not made out of kevlar if that's where you're going Kevlar

#205 2 years ago

Looks well done, Stern stepping up on the home pin segment.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Can we get Jack Danger to live stream it dressed up as John Hammond?

YES this MUST happen! BTW love that avatar pic. One of the greatest video games of all time right there.

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

Do you escape the raptor pin on the right side, dropping a ball into the shooter lane to start the multiball? Not gonna lie, this looks fun to shoot.

Looking at the video in slow mo it looks like the raptor pin has a retractable stop pin. Once the pin drops, the ball is allowed out of the enclosure.

I could be wrong but that is what it looks like.

#208 2 years ago

Any word on how the code will look in terms of complexity/depth?

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

[quoted image]

Anyone know how the MDF has held up on any of the prior Pin games? Haven’t seen or heard anything that says better or worse then standard playfields.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I expect similar to SW. a few modes, couple multiballs and a couple final modes.

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Looks well done, Stern stepping up on the home pin segment.

I owned a Transformers "PIN" and it was actually a decent game but the cabinet and old school scoreboard were a bit primitive.

This looks MUCH better and the game play looks really good. Of course it doesn't have all the toys but it has a mechanical dino - wow. Not for everyone but I think it's great that Stern is putting in effort to make these home machines better and worth owning.

Hope they have some supply for Christmas - it's getting late in the year!

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from FNwoz:

Anyone know how the MDF has held up on any of the prior Pin games? Haven’t seen or heard anything that says better or worse then standard playfields.

I had the Transformers and the cabinet held up very well and it was moved several times before I owned it. Playfield still looked great when I sold in August.

No issue.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

it SHOULD work just fine for you.

This really is a post from someone that's only made 12 posts. Pretty much all the vets around here understand that NIB doesn't mean "Flawless In Box".... lol.

Quoted from purbeast:

4 arcade machines

Yeah, I owned about the same before I dumped them for pinball. It's not even remotely the same. Working on arcade PCBs and monitors is a *bitch*. Fixing pins is stupidly easy by comparison.

Quoted from kool1:

Stern is putting in effort

Why does everyone keep saying this? They handed Jack a project, and he's the one that made it happen. They were clearly happy with their prior "Pin" offerings, which included reskinning the same game at least 3 times? As much as I hate to admit it, I'm fairly convinced that Jack was the driving force here, not Stern. All Stern did was give him a BOM dollar target, a license, and access to art/sound/engineering guys to make it happen. I don't believe for one second that any of the "old guard" had much to do with it. In general, I don't really buy the "designer is everything" mentality that seems to exist in pinball, but damn.....it sure looks that way in this case. Stern could've done something like this years ago.......they just either deemed it too expensive at the time, or knew that for their target market, nobody would care. They're trying to claw back buyers that went away with the price increases with this thing, and I agree with the prior statement made that this will do more for them in making other manufacturers look super expensive, than it will in raw sales dollars.

#214 2 years ago

The SW Pin was fun to shoot especially for casual players visiting for a party or holidays. This one looks a little more complex, but still approachable.
I wonder if you can back hand that right ramp.

#215 2 years ago

What a waste of time $tern.
Leave the Home pin to Homepin - Thunderturds

I think you have enough machines on back order as it is, and your stuffing around with New homepins? ffs
Stop with the ca$h grab!

P.s what's with the JP LE backglass print on this!

Flame suit on.....

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

What a waste of time $tern.
Leave the Home pin to Homepin - Thunderturds
I think you have enough machines on back order as it is, and your stuffing around with New homepins? ffs
Stop with the ca$h grab!
P.s what's with the JP LE backglass print on this!
Flame suit on.....

I agree. Let's work on the real pins and fill all of the backorders.

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The other catch is it might be encoded at a lower resolution for the smaller screen, and probably less CPU horsepower needed too. So if someone put a bigger screen in, it might end up looking so-so. Just a WAG tho.
Stern mentions Spike...as in really a 'Spike' and not 'Spike 2'? I was under the impression Spike 2 was primarily for driving the higher resolution video assets for the LCD?

If this thing is running Spike why are the slings and pops all tied together instead of driven individually like a proper game?

#218 2 years ago

Wow, let's play what great used (maybe superior)
- Bally
- Williams
- Gottlieb
- Stern
can you buy for $4600 or less?

...or even $3000 or less.

#219 2 years ago

$4,699 for a home pin? That's too much for a home version come on Stern your prices are ridiculous.. May as well put a reg coin door on it so I can put it on route and get some of my money back..

#220 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

If this thing is running Spike why are the slings and pops all tied together instead of driven individually like a proper game?

Because it only uses one main node board with 9 coil transistors vs a pro/premium that has two.

Cost reduction

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from kool1:

I had the Transformers and the cabinet held up very well and it was moved several times before I owned it. Playfield still looked great when I sold in August.
No issue.

Good to hear. What did that sell for, if you don't mind? I've thought it looked good for a simple game with a newer theme. I thought if I ever ran across one cheap, I could put it in a regular cab and make it look more presentable. Only other negative to me was it only had 2 displays and was only 2 player, I believe.

#222 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I expect similar to SW. a few modes, couple multiballs and a couple final modes.

Pretty much all rules and MB's explained here. I wouldn't expect any more to be added later.

#223 2 years ago

More going on than AFM without the 17.6K asking price

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

More going on than AFM without the 17.6K asking price

My only surprise is only 2 ball multi ball? Is that normal for home pin?

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

My only surprise is only 2 ball multi ball? Is that normal for home pin?

There are likely 4 balls in the game. I think that is what SW Pin has. Probably start one and its a 2 ball, stack another and it adds more. Wiz modes probably use all balls.

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Think SW home pin was kind of basic code for noobs who just want to hit a few shots light a character/mode and so on. Not sure about this pin but likely the same.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

This really is a post from someone that's only made 12 posts. Pretty much all the vets around here understand that NIB doesn't mean "Flawless In Box".... lol.

Yeah, I owned about the same before I dumped them for pinball. It's not even remotely the same. Working on arcade PCBs and monitors is a *bitch*. Fixing pins is stupidly easy by comparison.

Fair enough lol. I'm a total noob to this so I don't know exactly what to expect from NIB I guess

And yeah the pinball "work" seems to be more straight forward in the sense that it's more physical hardware to fix rather than like soldering chips and following traces on boards and stuff when you have issues. But that is also what intrigues me about pins. I like that stuff.

#228 2 years ago

It honestly looks pretty solid

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Good to hear. What did that sell for, if you don't mind? I've thought it looked good for a simple game with a newer theme. I thought if I ever ran across one cheap, I could put it in a regular cab and make it look more presentable. Only other negative to me was it only had 2 displays and was only 2 player, I believe.

Sold for ~$2000 USD but prices are a snick higher here in Canada.

It was only 2 player yes. Was the first Spike machine made.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

It honestly looks pretty solid

I think so. For a lot of people this will be very fun and more affordable.

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

There are likely 4 balls in the game. I think that is what SW Pin has. Probably start one and its a 2 ball, stack another and it adds more. Wiz modes probably use all balls.

Captured ball my be part of the ball count.

Watching the video in Trex or raptor multi ball only saw 2 on playfield.

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Fair enough lol. I'm a total noob to this so I don't know exactly what to expect from NIB I guess
And yeah the pinball "work" seems to be more straight forward in the sense that it's more physical hardware to fix rather than like soldering chips and following traces on boards and stuff when you have issues. But that is also what intrigues me about pins. I like that stuff.

I do plenty of board work, but when it comes to pins....it's very little "digital logic analysis" and very much "dead component replacement" and alkaline damage repair from leaky batteries. Big driver boards can have cracked traces that need to be jumpered, or you might have to solder stitch a pulled through hole, but never once in 10 years have I *had* to have an oscilloscope to fix a pin. There are times it would've been useful, but certainly not necessary. And of course we don't have to deal with CRTs, so no flyback BS, no rejuvenators that have been obsolete for 40+ years etc. I'd never soldered anything before I bought my first pin, and I've always done all my repairs, so I can appreciate the learning mentality.

NIB unfortunately is not what it once was. These days you're decently likely to get a game with chipping artwork or other clearcoat issues, and just by nature of these things being shipped and being banged around, there's probably at least a few loose connections to push back in before you should ever power on a new game. Early releases also tend to have sub-par coding, and occasionally physical design issues that get corrected in later runs. It's not really what SHOULD be delivered for the ridiculous prices games are commanding these days, but we've all pretty much just rolled over and accepted it.

#232 2 years ago

I like the new shooter rod

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#233 2 years ago

Does anyone know if you can buy invisiglass for “the pin” sized games?

#234 2 years ago

I think $4000 would be a fair price for this. It honestly looks like a really fun pin. Do you think distributors could sell it for that far below MSRP? Seems like that would be the sweet spot to consider this, given the price increases on the pro models.

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from UCFKnight71:

I think $4000 would be a fair price for this. It honestly looks like a really fun pin. Do you think distributors could sell it for that far below MSRP? Seems like that would be the sweet spot to consider this, given the price increases on the pro models.

I don't hear of many dealers selling at any substantial discount. I don't get the impression margins are huge.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I like the new shooter rod[quoted image]

Absolutely, too bad the Premium didn’t come with that!

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

again, we all get homepins now.. At a way way higher price..
This was 2499 just a short time ago.. Not much engineering feats since . the Commercial games only weigh about 150 pounds ...lol . Coin door and Bigger monitor . WOW !!!!! but now even a homepin would be out of reach of this guy being his salary didnt go up much since this interview and the game price doubled ..haha.
now when is my Price Gouged Godzilla LE With a coin door getting here BOM price 3450 MSRP 10500
LOW TECH ! 1st statement by Interviewer

The new pin is much nicer than that one you were you were showing. I have not seen or played either just photos but it does look a lot different than Transformers pin. I mean just look at the legs on the cabinet (JP) as opposed to legs sticking out of the bottom of the cabinet, I think the mechanisms and construction are more robust than the $2700 product.

here is the promo video of the TF pin, they say it's half the weight of a real pinball machine.

That said it's not for me, I would surely pay an extra $2-3K and get a JP pro to say the least.

#238 2 years ago

Those old "home pins" were a joke. You cannot compare the new ones, which could easily pass for location games if the coin doors had mechs.

#239 2 years ago

We need a VE not a home pin.

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

We need a VE not a home pin.

Who’s “we”? If you want an old game - they exist. Go buy one.

#241 2 years ago

Well I'm in, order placed. My younger daughter is a dinosaur nut and I had considered the JP when buying last year (ended up with BKSOR, love it), and my concern was JP was not as accessible to the kids and casual players/house guests as I would like. This Pin version looks more like anyone can just step up and get enjoyment out of it. To me, that's a more appropriate use of the Jurassic Park theme. Looking forward to the stream on Friday and receiving our new game!

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who’s “we”? If you want an old game - they exist. Go buy one.

Yes "We." The sales will be low for this home pin just like all the others. When they vault games they make them even better/stronger. Lots of us have been asking for a VE Tron for years.

#243 2 years ago

This is fantastic! Got one on order already! I'm new to pinball and this is just what I'm looking for. This looks like it has some oomf the Star Wars home edition was lacking. I'm just looking for a pin to hone my skills on and provide a unique experience outside the arcade

#244 2 years ago
Quoted from EvilPeaches:

This is fantastic! Got one on order already! I'm new to pinball and this is just what I'm looking for. This looks like it has some oomf the Star Wars home edition was lacking. I'm just looking for a pin to hone my skills on and provide a unique experience outside the arcade

Good for you, however if you are able to get a 'real' pin like for example JP pro you would be more likely than not sell it for most of what you pay for it even years later. These home pins not sure of that. The 'real' pins are commercial products and will be playing in decades from now (hoping the node boards are a reliable product you can repair or replace if needed). I understand the commercial pin (pro or premium) is more expensive but that's what most would recommend.

I am sure this home pin is fun but likely not have the depth of the real pins. I understand JP pro can be confusion to noobs but it's not that bad if you read the rules and/or watch the tutorials.

Good luck, just giving my two cents.

#245 2 years ago

This game looks great, only thing that gives me pause is the MDF construction.
Hope there is one to play at expo.

#246 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Yes "We." The sales will be low for this home pin just like all the others.

Yeah, that must be why they keep making them.

Stern hates selling pinball machines!

#247 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Yes "We." The sales will be low for this home pin just like all the others. When they vault games they make them even better/stronger. Lots of us have been asking for a VE Tron for years.

According to the Deadflip Facebook page, you appear to be quite wrong.

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

According to the Deadflip Facebook page...

Basically the 3rd pillar after NY Times & Wall Street Journal.

But I had a neighbor poking around trying to get info from me when the Pandemic started, maybe this would be a good route for him? Worth a try.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Lots of us have been asking for a VE Tron for years.

…and how’s that worked out? In the decade you’ve been crying for a Tron Vault that will never exist, you could have just gone out and bought a Tron.

#250 2 years ago

MDF playfield… won’t be worth restoring a barn find in 20 years time then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate/page/5?hl=flyfalcons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.