(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by STLOkie
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCAFE749-D35B-4973-9CB7-52D8AF6704CE (resized).jpeg
D6CABEF1-BB23-4210-A455-097A2787FA2D (resized).jpeg
C61845CB-61BB-4845-8A9D-26EEBAB3E6DF (resized).jpeg
AFCCDD34-850D-439A-B725-695D482AA3DE (resized).jpeg
E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Why not just make a VE of something?

Because that would be a coin-op machine and be priced accordingly. This is an entry level game for a different market, with a theme that is perfect for that market.

Quoted from thecashier76:

Does this one have the John Williams score?

Yes. Why wouldn’t it?

#152 2 years ago

no I'm wrong it was 2 posts

#153 2 years ago

nobody is going to buy it without the Cleland code

#154 2 years ago

Looks impressive at first glance. Might be the first home pin I’d actually recommend to people interested in a game.

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

Other than the Jurassic Park logo, this game has nothing to do with any jurassic park movie.

The game objective of escaping Isle of Nublar is exactly what the first movie (based off the novel) is....

#157 2 years ago

I for one am happy to play a game in the Crichton dinoverse, with original animated assets instead of cut & paste movie clips. Makes for a more immersive experience. To me, movie clips & callouts are on the same spectrum as the photo-based art we all rightfully disdain. Feels cheap. It's like if the Sopranos translite was a mode.

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I for one am happy to play a game in the Crichton dinoverse, with original animated assets instead of cut & paste movie clips. Makes for a more immersive experience. To me, movie clips & callouts are on the same spectrum as the photo-based art we all rightfully disdain. Feels cheap. It's like if the Sopranos translite was a mode.

The hobbit is one exception. That was masterfully done.

#159 2 years ago

Yeah, it can be done well. Helps when the source material is 90% CGI, basically a cartoon.

#160 2 years ago

In other words the "Spooky" version of JP.

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

To me, movie clips & callouts are on the same spectrum as the photo-based art we all rightfully disdain. Feels cheap.

You saying my Spring Break looks cheap? lol
People hate this art work. I think it's so 80's it's now fun.
translite (resized).jpgtranslite (resized).jpg

#162 2 years ago

We all know Spring Break is the pinnacle of late '80s graphic design. Fake tans, fake beer cans, fake Spuds MacKenzie, wouldn't change a thing.

#163 2 years ago

One thing I haven't seen talked about yet is that the Elwin JP topper fits on this, and is getting some code integration with the home pin according to Jack.

#164 2 years ago

If they don't run more toppers, the aftermarket price might be more than the game.

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I am pretty sure it's a standard video signal. The hardest part of dropping in a bigger screen would likely be the mounting bracket and making the panel look good.

The other catch is it might be encoded at a lower resolution for the smaller screen, and probably less CPU horsepower needed too. So if someone put a bigger screen in, it might end up looking so-so. Just a WAG tho.

Stern mentions Spike...as in really a 'Spike' and not 'Spike 2'? I was under the impression Spike 2 was primarily for driving the higher resolution video assets for the LCD?

#166 2 years ago

These home pins are not for the collector nor the operator. These home pins are for people without a pinball machine to get into pinball at a much lower cost. They can also try and sell them at Costco and other places to expose people to pinball. This is great timing if you ask me. They are talking shortages on good coming into the US. With less to buy seems like a great time to get into the home market with a title as popular as this. These kids are getting quads, Dirt bikes so why not an arcade pinball machine?

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’d be shocked if Stern doesn’t also make one of Mando and Godzilla.

And I don't see a reason for those 2 titles specifically why they don't do a reskin of this Home JP. Something similar to Heavy Metal/Star Wars HP. Cuts back on manufacturing cost with a bit of artwork change. Hey maybe replacing the t-rex with a moving grogru will finally appease everyone...

#168 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Hey maybe replacing the t-rex with a moving grogru will finally appease everyone...

Please god let them do it just for the pinside carnage.

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

And I don't see a reason for those 2 titles specifically why they don't do a reskin of this Home JP. Something similar to Heavy Metal/Star Wars HP. Cuts back on manufacturing cost with a bit of artwork change. Hey maybe replacing the t-rex with a moving grogru will finally appease everyone...

I said it earlier, and I'll say it again. I think it could easily be redone into Godzilla in another year or two. Change the Trex into Godzilla, play the atomic blast noise when it comes out of the mouth, dress up the jump ramp like a bridge that's out, etc...

As an aside, sorry we're already redoing the game on the day of the reveal Jack <3

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

As an aside, sorry we're already redoing the game on the day of the reveal Jack <3

I think Jacky D DeadFlip just pulled off the best home pin to date. Everyone has an opinion on price and features, but I think the general consensus is this is the best home based machine so far. Not an easy feat. Makes me look forward to what he can do in the future.

Hope he can take a little break after this effort and come back renewed and refocused with some fresh ideas (did you see the outline save post video? Such a kick ass idea)

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

April / 2013 / Metallica / Pro / $4995
April / 2013 / Metallica / Premium / $6995 (2 models - Monsters & Road Case)
April / 2013 / Metallica / LE / $7595

Quoted from swinks:

Sept / 2021 / Godzilla / Pro / $6899
Sept / 2021 / Godzilla / Pemium / $8999
Sept / 2021 / Godzilla / LE (1000 of) / $10499

Amazing how quickly everyone got used to the new pricing structure. I guess the newbs don’t realize this is Pro pricing from 8 years ago. Only looks cheap because the price of everything else went up so much.

Game looks great but don’t forget it’s like the IKEA of pins - got mdf Pf, mdf cab with Ikea style joints, super simple code, tiny lcd, no coin door, no licensor assets.

If thus was released as a Pro 8 years ago you’d all be having a fit.

Having said all that, Jack Danger did an amazing job with his BOM.

#172 2 years ago

Can you lift the pf on these? I remember the early versions of the pin had to be serviced from underneath through a hole in the bottom of the cab. Did they change it with the new versions?

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Can you lift the pf on these? I remember the early versions of the pin had to be serviced from underneath through a hole in the bottom of the cab. Did they change it with the new versions?

For that amount of money, that mofo damn well better be mounted properly and serviceable.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeah they lift up like normal. That was just those Transformers and Avenger games

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

For that amount of money, that mofo damn well better be mounted properly and serviceable.

They’ve really done a great job of making this look like a “normal” pin though - amazing what great art and smart game design can do.

#176 2 years ago

Never thought I would look at a $4500 home pin and say "That's not bad of a price"

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They’ve really done a great job of making this look like a “normal” pin though - amazing what great art and smart game design can do.

Yes.....sadly the head is a different size otherwise it would probably fool a lot of people. The body not being the same height isn't really a big deal....that's mostly wasted space both visually and practically, but the head being smaller sticks out a lot.

At any rate.... considering what else I can buy for the money, I'll never be a buyer for something like this. These things are going to be harder to sell aftermarket than a severed dick that's been run over by a train compared to a regular pin. I can't even get normal games to keep my interest, so that kind of matters to me, since I'm a fickle bitch when it comes to pinball. I'll probably trade out my Ultraman for a Godzilla Premium if I can't find a way to afford one within a year after UM shows up.

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Yes.....sadly the head is a different size otherwise it would probably fool a lot of people. The body not being the same height isn't really a big deal....that's mostly wasted space both visually and practically, but the head being smaller sticks out a lot.
At any rate.... considering what else I can buy for the money, I'll never be a buyer for something like this. These things are going to be harder to sell aftermarket than a severed dick that's been run over by a train compared to a regular pin. I can't even get normal games to keep my interest, so that kind of matters to me, since I'm a fickle bitch when it comes to pinball. I'll probably trade out my Ultraman for a Godzilla Premium if I can't find a way to afford one within a year after UM shows up.

Time will tell... I think the Spiderman and Star wars pins were a lot of fun for what they are. I have not seen any where they had to drop the price to anything ridiculously low before it sold, and hardly ever see them on the second hand market.

This one actually looks like even more fun, with a lot more going on.

Speculating on what will or will not work out in the new pinball market is tricky business for sure.

#179 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

hardly ever see them on the second hand market.

That's the real question.....will this game even sell enough to have a real aftermarket presence, or not. I don't think the others did.....or if they did people REALLY like them and don't let them go, or are selling them through "non-pinball-standard" means.

#180 2 years ago

Might be my first modern stern...

#181 2 years ago

Petition to make the abbreviation for this game JDJP

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

Petition to make the abbreviation for this game JDJP

or JPHO.

#183 2 years ago

Why would you spend $4,700 on this when you could get a much higher quality used game for the same price. If you also have $4,700 for a pinball you have a little more to buy whatever you want.

I think they should have priced this at $3,000

#184 2 years ago

DeadFlip
Nice going! We've never met but you've always struck me as a really good guy. I'm happy for you. First of many! Now go out there and get IGN to interview you! (if you want that)

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Why would you spend $4,700 on this when you could get a much higher quality used game for the same price. If you also have $4,700 for a pinball you have a little more to buy whatever you want.

Im with you on this. I understand the whole "different market" schtick - this is not for "us collectors" blah blah blah. But then I see "us collectors" saying its good value and considering buying it. Do people actually realise what this is? Even the super fan boys say it's not for us.

How about these instead? 2 minute Pinside market search - first page:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122482

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122496

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122526

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122529

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122469

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122302

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122125 ($3700 OBO Judge Dredd!)

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122440

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122144 ($4900 Ripleys!)

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122126 ($3900 Getaway !!!!)

It goes on and on. These are all good solid games. Real pinball games with history and nostalgia.

I dont get it. I also dont care, but it's something new to talk about.

#186 2 years ago

As someone who the past couple months has gained interest in the pinball market, this is intriguing to me.

To those saying you could buy a used "real" one for the same price, well yeah you can.

But there is also something about getting something brand spanking new and putting it together, knowing that there is no wear and tear on it, and that it SHOULD work just fine for you.

You can also get it from a legit place and should be getting support from the creators of the game.

Instead of getting one second hand and not knowing exactly what problems it has under the hood. And you don't have to shop around and find one that is "good enough" but not exactly what you possibly want.

Fact is, there are quite a bit of reasons this is intriguing.

And this is coming from someone who has 4 arcade machines and has done a lot of work on them so I'm not new to the whole coinop market.

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

As someone who the past couple months has gained interest in the pinball market, this is intriguing to me.
To those saying you could buy a used "real" one for the same price, well yeah you can.
But there is also something about getting something brand spanking new and putting it together, knowing that there is no wear and tear on it, and that it SHOULD work just fine for you.
You can also get it from a legit place and should be getting support from the creators of the game.
Instead of getting one second hand and not knowing exactly what problems it has under the hood. And you don't have to shop around and find one that is "good enough" but not exactly what you possibly want.
Fact is, there are quite a bit of reasons this is intriguing.
And this is coming from someone who has 4 arcade machines and has done a lot of work on them so I'm not new to the whole coinop market.

I get it. Not for me but I get it. Everyone want something different from pinball.

#188 2 years ago

I was hesitant about buying my Star Wars comic edition pin but I am so glad I did, like others have mentioned its better then the pro.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Im with you on this. I understand the whole "different market" schtick - this is not for "us collectors" blah blah blah. But then I see "us collectors" saying its good value and considering buying it. Do people actually realise what this is? Even the super fan boys say it's not for us.
How about these instead? 2 minute Pinside market search - first page:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122482
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122496
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122526
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122529
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122469
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122302
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122125 ($3700 OBO Judge Dredd!)
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122440
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122144 ($4900 Ripleys!)
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/122126 ($3900 Getaway !!!!)
It goes on and on. These are all good solid games. Real pinball games with history and nostalgia.
I dont get it. I also dont care, but it's something new to talk about.

exactly, it looks fun but I would take a T2 or xyz pin over this pin any day. However getting into pins that I dislike like South Park for example I'd rather this, than SP.

#190 2 years ago

When I saw the title 'When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth' prominently displayed on the backbox I thought that was odd since that title, as most Hammer Horror fans could tell you, is the title of a movie from 1970. A banner with the same title falls to the ground in Jurassic Park but can briefly be read. I figured that was a 'shout out' to the 'Hammer' movie. I can't imagine that Stern would pay a licensing fee for that name, especially being that the movie is obscure and would add no value. Sure enough, I looked it up and the movie has fallen into the public domain due to being published without a copyright notice.

JurassicPark-Pin-Details-Strobe-10 (resized).jpgJurassicPark-Pin-Details-Strobe-10 (resized).jpgMV5BYWEzZWJhZjYtM2JlMS00Yzc2LWI1ZDItMWM3NDE3YTgzNWNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BYWEzZWJhZjYtM2JlMS00Yzc2LWI1ZDItMWM3NDE3YTgzNWNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ2MjQyNDc@._V1_ (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
#191 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:Why would you spend $4,700 on this when you could get a much higher quality used game for the same price. If you also have $4,700 for a pinball you have a little more to buy whatever you want.
I think they should have priced this at $3,000

No no don’t you get it this is a great value, Levi says it is

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

No no don’t you get it this is a great value, Levi says it is

He's just doing his job.

#193 2 years ago

Good on Stern for taking full advantage of the license - custom shooter included!
810E8592-23D8-4456-81B3-B54ED9C309D3 (resized).jpeg810E8592-23D8-4456-81B3-B54ED9C309D3 (resized).jpeg

#194 2 years ago

Looks good

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:Amazing how quickly everyone got used to the new pricing structure. I guess the newbs don’t realize this is Pro pricing from 8 years ago. Only looks cheap because the price of everything else went up so much.
Game looks great but don’t forget it’s like the IKEA of pins - got mdf Pf, mdf cab with Ikea style joints, super simple code, tiny lcd, no coin door, no licensor assets.
If thus was released as a Pro 8 years ago you’d all be having a fit.
Having said all that, Jack Danger did an amazing job with his BOM.

Not even that long ago.. met led pro was 4200-4500 shipped in 2015-2016
(I got one) ... crazy how a home pin is now this lol..
Also walking dead premium was only 6200-6300 in 2017 ...

#196 2 years ago

Honestly, there's as much on this playfield with just as nice art as many other modern games have, for a (relatively) cheaper price. There must be a market demand for the Pin series if they're still making new ones, and this is definitely the best looking to date.

No doubt they'll be reskinning this one for years.

#197 2 years ago

Can we get Jack Danger to live stream it dressed up as John Hammond?

#198 2 years ago

If included, it might be hard to see this on the LCD.

a4lbpp3j2gd31 (resized).pnga4lbpp3j2gd31 (resized).png
#199 2 years ago

I'm just happy Jack got to work on something cool like this. Because it's definitely cool. I'm impressed.

Moving toy, drop targets, spinner, metal ramps, a real package, the only thing 'lacking' really is the screen. It's dinky and whatever. But who cares, this is for people who want to play some pinball. It's a great place to cut costs.

You can bitch about the price all day long, nobody will care or change it for you. The market is what it is, and for a 'cheap' game this looks rad. I wouldn't hesitate to tell someone they should get this for their game room if they wanted something new and reliable they could just order and get without a bunch of hunting and worrying, I wouldn't feel like they were getting some half assed experience at all.

In fact, I think I know someone I'm going to suggest it to tomorrow.

#200 2 years ago

Can't help thinking that since Stern has the collector's market share and distribution network fully secure, the big motive for putting this out is less about shifting units and more about trying to stick a fork into the smaller companies by making *their* pins look overpriced.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

3,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin-Tools.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate/page/4?hl=flyfalcons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.