(Topic ID: 302030)

Looks Like There's a New Stern Home Pin (Jurassic)!

By CrazyLevi

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 742 posts
  • 193 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by STLOkie
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BCAFE749-D35B-4973-9CB7-52D8AF6704CE (resized).jpeg
D6CABEF1-BB23-4210-A455-097A2787FA2D (resized).jpeg
C61845CB-61BB-4845-8A9D-26EEBAB3E6DF (resized).jpeg
AFCCDD34-850D-439A-B725-695D482AA3DE (resized).jpeg
E1142A1E-FDEA-44EB-ACC9-50A521C8030A (resized).jpeg
IMG_3232 (resized).JPG
IMG_3233 (resized).JPG
7ACD48F8-D257-4B98-995E-9D58E80BF7C5 (resized).jpeg
BAE3E620-EFC1-43BA-B650-2EFEBFDF7390 (resized).jpeg
8BEEB629-B8BB-47C2-87BC-0AF4B0A1BA10 (resized).jpeg
637C72AA-4D53-403E-9061-22FB82CA8ED0 (resized).jpeg
22D2F157-E497-4524-A4EF-96EF9D3148D3 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20211220_013929115 (resized).jpg
PXL_20211220_011826705 (resized).jpg
90B75CB7-650D-4686-9B20-988092925276 (resized).jpeg
95EB8750-90C8-44A2-97DD-A16CF210F491 (resized).jpeg

There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Thanks all!!
The reveal will be on my test game actually, so they can pump out those sexy Godzillas!
Just wanted to give everyone a taste of what’s up!

I look forward to seeing them at children's hospitals and Ronald McDonald Houses all over the country!

#52 2 years ago

Do you escape the raptor pin on the right side, dropping a ball into the shooter lane to start the multiball? Not gonna lie, this looks fun to shoot.

#53 2 years ago

Game looks great and no doubt will be fun to shoot. Great job Jack.

I noticed the pops and slings fire at the same time just like the other home pins to keep the BOM down. Is the playfield still MDF? The MDF playfield has kept me away from the other home pins. Hoping maybe this one is different.

#54 2 years ago

Stern has a production backlog a mile long due to (presumably) demand and parts shortages, particularly microchips. Stern prioritizes game builds that use fewer chips to maximize production. Is still running low. Stern gets creative and releases a machine using as few chips as possible that will still sell and releases the Stern Jurassic Park Home edition and... it actually looks like a nice step up at this level. Congrats!!!

#55 2 years ago

Well, if anything proves that Pros are for Hoes, it’s a home edition with all metal ramps, drops, and a moving T-Rex lol

This game looks like it has more going on than LZ LE

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hey Friends!
Stern let me reimagine the “Pin”, and it was a fun challenge making this game shine!
Had a lot of help from a lot of awesome people.

Looks cool! The t-rex head does something, Raptor pen looks awesome, jump shot, fun looking layout. I need to go play one once my distro gets one in. I think this is the best home pin effort yet.

#57 2 years ago

$2500 to $4600 price hike...........

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Hey Friends!
Stern let me reimagine the “Pin”, and it was a fun challenge making this game shine!
Had a lot of help from a lot of awesome people.

I think you killed it. Game looks incredibly fun and quite a variety of shots and mechs. Very nice work Jack

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Would love to have that translite as an alternate option for my premium. I wonder if it's the same size? I always liked the LE backglass, and this thing is very similar.

same size for sure!!

#60 2 years ago

Been saving up for a JP Pro or Prem so my kids can have a dinosaur pin, but now very excited to see this. I could absolutely see ordering this instead. Nice job Jack Danger and Stern!

#61 2 years ago

Does anyone off hand know if this playfield is particle board like the star wars home pin?

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Looking closely at the lower ramp, looks like a mirror image of the Deadpool ramps.
Why not use something you've already engineered? Sure it saved on cost a little bit....
Later,
EV

The ramp is different than DP, we engineered it to be a fricken rocket coming around that curve! Cost was comparable! Trust me when I say I got every cent worth out of this game!!

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Does anyone off hand know if this playfield is particle board like the star wars home pin?

MDF yes, I think a certain kind tho?

#64 2 years ago

This looks really fun. Congratulations to Jack as he killed this.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

MDF yes, I think a certain kind tho?

Cool cool cool. Less dimpling. I dig it.

200.gif200.gif
#66 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

again, we all get homepins now.. At a way way higher price..
This was 2499 just a short time ago.. Not much engineering feats since . the Commercial games only weigh about 150 pounds ...lol . Coin door and Bigger monitor . WOW !!!!! but now even a homepin would be out of reach of this guy being his salary didnt go up much since this interview and the game price doubled ..haha.
now when is my Price Gouged Godzilla LE With a coin door getting here BOM price 3450 MSRP 10500
LOW TECH ! 1st statement by Interviewer

First, this is 2013... almost 9 years ago.

Second, there's so much less tech going on in that Transformers pin. No LCD or animations. So much less metal (any?) on the Transformers pin <-- looks like it was made with K'NEX

Third, in case you forgot, we've been in a pandemic for almost 2 years. Materials are all over the place in terms of price.

Fourth, this looks more loaded than some recent stern Pros (Led Zeppelin comes to mind)

Fifth, look at the legs, armor, backbox, translite, etc. now look at the Transformers pin.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

$2500 to $4600 price hike.

Star Wars "the pin" was already $4,600, so your outrage is two years too late.

#68 2 years ago

Using the LE backglass art is crazy, that should be exclusive to LE owners

Looks fun, but the LCD size is a JOKE

These need to be $2999 to make any sense.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I think a 2/3 cost for a home pin vs a Pro is likely the right price point to build a game that is still packed with features. These aren't zizzle or old brusnwick machines.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

These need to be $2999 to make any sense.

If Pinside ran Stern they'd be out of business in a month.

Not sure how cannibalizing sales from your Pro line just to sell games at zero profit "makes any sense."

This costs a full $2,000 + less than their pros. Really, for the first time ever, Stern has put out a "home pin" product that actually "makes sense."

#71 2 years ago

Great job @deadflip! Game looks a lot of fun. This is a smart strategy by Stern to break new talents in by getting them to work on the Pin line. Which begs the question, what is next from you?

#72 2 years ago

How many more do they sell at $3,000 vs $4,600? Probably not that many to make up the profit difference or to make it worth the resources to run it on the factory line.

Maybe the company that has been in business for a few decades and has a large network of salespeople telling them what the consumers want knows what they're doing...

#73 2 years ago

I'm 100% serious lol. The art is better, theres more in the game, the theme is cooler (hot take I know). Give me this over Zep or even Star wars (the non home version) any day.

#74 2 years ago

It's interesting how the price dynamics of these have changed over the years, ultimately making these home pins a more marketable idea. For example, one of the main arguments over the years was "Why would you buy a super stripped down 'the pin' for ~$3000 when you can buy a great 90's 'B' game for $2500??" But now in 2021, a WH20/WCS94/Shadow is $4k-6k, 20 years old, and relatively hard to find. Meanwhile, the design quality of 'the pin' continues to improve, and is readily available brand new at a price point that is pretty reasonable considering the market.

Great work Jack + team with this design; I'm really impressed that this isn't just a stripped down Pro, but unique new ideas applied in creative ways. Very interested in playing one.

#75 2 years ago

Mad props to Jack and team. I think this looks great as an alternative option for folks.

#76 2 years ago

Looks like Stern was serious about making the "Pin" concept work, after all! I think I'm actually more excited by this than Godzilla even - lots of potential value for the $$$.

I have played the Star Wars Pin a bit, and am firm in stating that it is actually more enjoyable to play than the "real" Pro model.

I can't say the same thing about JP until I play it, but it looks like an absolute knockout and appears to have features lacking in JP Pro, so I'm optimistic. The small screen doesn't bother me at all (I really only care about scores/ball in play, so a 7-seg LED would work for me, lol), and it works well enough in SW.

I understand the sentiment of those of you comparing this with the $2500 Transformers/Avengers abomination from several years ago, but I took a good look at one of those games at the time and I can assure you that this latest generation of "Pin" far surpasses them in every way and makes them look like something you would have ordered from the Sears X-mas catalog back in the day.

#77 2 years ago

The small LCD is a bummer but it it not used as extensively as the full models, with Star Wars Pin you never really had to look at the screen while playing.

#78 2 years ago

Pin looks really great. If Stern continues to release games of this quality for the homepin line then is it time to rethink the old pro/premium/le structure for on location games?

Get rid of the pro, bump up the price of a premium, and keep the LE for collectors with cash to burn.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from dogwith1eye:

Pin looks really great. If Stern continues to release games of this quality for the homepin line then is it time to rethink the old pro/premium/le structure for on location games?
Get rid of the pro, bump up the price of a premium, and keep the LE for collectors with cash to burn.

Maybe, but with no coin mechs it would limit locations.

#80 2 years ago

Really excited to shoot this, hopefully one shows up in town soon. I really enjoyed Heavy Metal but I'm curious if this can be setup a bit more difficult/less forgiving to match the straightforward rules better (I know these aren't meant for the hardcore market, but just dreaming). Would love to see a new Supreme pin with this layout

Congrats on the first game Jack, awesome work! Excited to see what you get up to in the future.

#81 2 years ago

So, "JPHP"?

#82 2 years ago

I mean we all knew this was coming with the latest price hikes. Still haven't played a home edition yet.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from tvbenk:

Maybe, but with no coin mechs it would limit locations.

Yeah you wouldn’t run this at a location. What I was saying about the current pro model is it price was low to cross over into the home market, but the homepin does that now.

Operators would have to make do with premiums. But as they all come stern connected then people will drop digital cash far easier than nickels and dimes.

Spending 40$ for a night out of pinball should be no big deal.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

i wasn't comparing it to star wars, now was i ?

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not sure how cannibalizing sales from your Pro line just to sell games at zero profit "makes any sense."
This costs a full $2,000 + less than their pros. Really, for the first time ever, Stern has put out a "home pin" product that actually "makes sense."

Do you think I give a shit about anyone else? It doesn’t make sense FOR ME at more than $2999 fanboy.

#86 2 years ago

I think it looks great too.
I’m just not convinced there are many families who will be willing to part with $4,699. I think it’s more likely that existing buyers will abandon the Pro for a model like this.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you think I give a shit about anyone else? It doesn’t make sense FOR ME at more than $2999 fanboy.

Great, then don't buy it and don't complain that you can't afford something at a price required for a business to continue functioning. You don't work there and have insight into cost and profitability, so don't pretend to, and keep your selfish entitlement out of a thread of actual discussion.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I think it looks great too.
I’m just not convinced there are many families who will be willing to part with $4,699. I think it’s more likely that existing buyers will abandon the Pro for a model like this.

Since home pins come out a few years after a theme has already launched & there's no guarantee every theme will get a home edition, I don't think it eats into existing Pro buyers at all...existing Pro buyers are going to see a new theme they want and buy it within a year or so. For example, when a game like Godzilla is announced, ZERO potential Pro buyers are going to say "Welllll, I think I'll wait 2 years JUST IN CASE there is a home edition". Nah....this thing has been and always will be for an entirely different market.

#89 2 years ago

This actually looks pretty fun. Very impressed, looking forward to trying it out.

I'd be curious to hear feedback from sales/marketing peeps tho.. it really seems like it would be against most recommendations to dilute the product offering with a home version that carries the branding and assets.. but a completely different play layout and game from the playing and collectibility perspective...

That said, it has clearly been ok for them with Spiderman and Star Wars.. but even for those ones.. I've seen it generate some confusion on the second hand market... lol.

#90 2 years ago

If they did retheme this like they did Spiderman/Star Wars/Supreme/Heavy Metal... I could see that Trex being a Godzilla spitting a ball out like its his atomic blast

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess I just don't "get it" when it comes to these kind of Pinside posts. I always assumed that people capable of buying pinball machines were at least savvy enough to understand some basic principles of running a business, but I'm not so sure these days. Endless treads moaning about price hikes and pining for more affordable options, then when a company like Stern puts real effort and resources into giving us what we SAY we want, it's never good enough! Sheesh, I'm surprised anyone at Stern is even willing to give a Pinsider the time of day at this point!

As far as I am concerned, this is a very smart move by Stern and I am happy to see that they have evolved the concept this far. It makes NIB pinball accessible to many folks who have been otherwise priced-out in recent years, and at the same time (in contrast to the earlier "Pin" efforts) genuinely delivers the full pinball experience and doesn't insult the intelligence of those of us who have been doing this a while.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Why are you so miserable in every thread? We're on a god damn pinball forum.

#93 2 years ago

Off topic - Does anyone else think the guy playing the game in the trailer video walked into a salon before the shoot with a picture of Rachel Leigh Cook from 1999's 'She's all That' and said "Make me look like that"?

Just me?

140128-stern-shes-all-that-tease_fmzvvh (resized).jpg140128-stern-shes-all-that-tease_fmzvvh (resized).jpgCapture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#94 2 years ago
Quoted from dogwith1eye:

F----- everything about that! Regardless of what this thing plays like, I'm not spending nearly 5k on MDF and uber-cheap-out crap like the pops and slings being tied together.

So your belief is that it would be "good" for the industry and hobby for people to either have the option to spend 8k+ ONLY if they want something that could actually be in an arcade, or pay 4.5k for............... Arcade 2up games?

#96 2 years ago

DeadFlip Please tell me you got inspiration from Robocop with that jump ramp. (Still my favorite DE pin btw)

#97 2 years ago

Good to know

#98 2 years ago

Game actually looks pretty dope.
Looks like it has some pretty cool shots, and for a lesser priced "home pin," looks like this thing has got a ton to offer.
Looks like that raptor cage there on the right, shoot enough into it and it starts a mb, that's cool.
Drop targets, stand ups, two ramps, captive ball, fast inner orbit shot, 2 spinners, little raptor cage thing there on the right, tougher smart missile shot, T-Rex sculpt that you have to hit the drop targets down and shoot it past it to then come out the T-Rex mouth... this thing really looks like it's got a little something of everything... and I can think of a lot of other games (from various eras) that have less than this near the same price point.
I say, well done!

#99 2 years ago

As someone who has become disenchanted with the idea of paying 4-6K for a 20-year old used game with questionable reliability, this seems like a great option for home use. Price point is good IF you’re still getting quality hardware. MDF playfield is somewhat concerning, but if there are t-nuts on the underside then it’s a non-issue and my guess is they are applying some sort of sealer to prevent the material from wicking moisture.
Well done…all the coils seems to be firing for Stern right now.
Supply chain and production time might be the bugaboo to shake.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So I have never tried to get video signal out of a stern. Is it hard? Would adding a new display be hard? That would be my main question.
Im thinking LED monitor with a custom bracket and surround/art.

I am pretty sure it's a "standard" video signal. The hardest part of dropping in a bigger screen would likely be the mounting bracket and making the panel look good.

Update: Stern may be using an LVDS signal on the JP homepin, which is a standard video, but a bit harder to drive off the shelf screens. That said, there appears to be a cheap conversion between LVDS and HDMI for Stern machines if you go that route.... https://buffalopinball.com/twitch/direct-capture-video-stern-pinball-machines-twitch-streaming/

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
There are 742 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-there-s-a-new-stern-home-pin-jurassic-to-hate/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.