(Topic ID: 135754)

Looks like the Stern Ve bubble just burst....

By stretch2

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by metahugh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wow.jpg
phzn0.jpg
mysterio-people-in-film-photo-u1.jpg
demogoblin-comic-book-characters-photo-u1.jpg
spider-man-actor-tom-holland.jpg
images.jpg
bubblepop.jpg
rumors.jpg
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

What happened to the can't miss rumored Tron Ve or Spidey Ve ?
Another re-make of IM Ve? Didn't see that one coming !

#3 8 years ago

I'm going to reply to this in my own new VE thread. Look for it soon.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I'm going to reply to this in my own new VE thread. Look for it soon.

Why would you down vote this topic ?

#6 8 years ago

Stretch was one of the victims of the original Iron Man VE, wasn't he? His game lost about $1,000 in value instantly right when he put his up for sale, so I can understand the bitterness, anger, fear, and uh...some other emotions I can't think of.

I was also a victim, kinda, as I had a ratty Spider Man up for sale right at the same time, and suddenly half my prospective buyers disappeared like a fart in the wind since their heads were suddenly filled with dreams of VE.

The whole thing is kinda silly to me, I don't understand NOT buying a game because there exists some possibility of it being re-run. I've been enjoying my AFM since Super Bowl Sunday - hundreds of plays- while others shudder in fear in the dark shadows, waiting for the day, many years from now, when they are convinced AFMr will be unleashed.

It's only pinball folks.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

People are sick of the whole VE discussion, think there are enough VE threads, and simply don't want to talk about it any more. As you'll see by the dozens of replies and multiple pages soon to come in your thread.

#8 8 years ago

This is a "VE discussion VE" thread.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

What happened to the can't miss rumored Tron Ve or Spidey Ve ?

Tron VE was never real. SM retheme is around the new year. Nothing has changed. Shrug.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't understand NOT buying a game because there exists some possibility of it being re-run. I've been enjoying my AFM since Super Bowl Sunday - hundreds of plays- while others shudder in fear in the dark shadows, waiting for the day, many years from now, when they are convinced AFMr will be unleashed.
It's only pinball folks.

People would rather pay less for a NIB game than used, seems simple when people no longer expect any devaluation from owning a game for numerous years.

I think SM is a special case as the possibility of a retheme using comic art would really change the game. I am one of those people waiting to see if SMVE happens before plunking down more on a used one.

It's only pinball.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

SM retheme is around the new year.

This is part of the problem. People spreading rumors that they don't know are true or can confirm. I delayed purchasing an AFM for a bit due to the remake rumors, but I said F it and got one.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

This is part of the problem. People spreading rumors that they don't know are true or can confirm. I delayed purchasing an AFM for a bit due to the remake rumors, but I said F it and got one.

And I am also going through the AFM dilemma .

#13 8 years ago

And yes it's only pinball.I started this thread to stimulate discussion.But apparently I have angered the Masses .....

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

People would rather pay less for a NIB game than used, seems simple when people no longer expect any devaluation from owning a game for numerous years. .

Which makes a lot of sense when this is actually an option, and makes little sense when it isn't.

There are likely pinsiders who will be DEAD by the time the supposed AFMr comes out. Seems pretty stupid that they aren't playing the game, RIGHT NOW when it's not that tough to get one...for LESS than this hypothetical AFMr will cost if it ever exists.

Same thing with the VEs.

I acquired my AFM for far less than the cost of an MMR. Thousands less. If an AFMr gets announced, I really won't care. Won't affect me any. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go play a few games of AFM. Seeya!

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

People would rather pay less for a NIB game than used, seems simple when people no longer expect any devaluation from owning a game for numerous years.
I think SM is a special case as the possibility of a retheme using comic art would really change the game. I am one of those people waiting to see if SMVE happens before plunking down more on a used one.
It's only pinball.

Agreed 100%. It's only pinball and a completely unnecessary object therefore I can wait to buy. It's not the end of the world if I never own ____ title. I'd love to own a handful of pins that are rumored as remakes or VE's but I can wait. If it never happens my life is not going to be impacted negatively for not owning one of those titles. Actually, it's probably better off as I'm going to spend the money on other fun things.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

It's only pinball.

These rumors about a retheme with comic art...it sounds cool, but what are the chances this actually happens? I know for a fact that Stern isn't leaking rumors about it. They never show their hand...and what information they do leak often seems to be smoke.

I'd love to see hand-drawn Spidey art all over a playfield...just feels like a pipe-dream.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Which makes a lot of sense when this is actually an option, and makes little sense when it isn't.

Guess I'll just never understand this line of thought. Pinball is not a Needed object of life and if someone doesn't get the chance to own an AFM their life isn't going to be hindered. Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with those that think along that line of thought.

#18 8 years ago

Don't forget the rumored Big Bang Bar remake that many here state unequivocally will be remade. - Pinside is alive with misinformation.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Guess I'll just never understand this line of thought. Pinball is not a Needed object of life and if someone doesn't get the chance to own an AFM their life isn't going to be hindered. Guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with those that think along that line of thought.

This line of thought is confused with many other lines of thought. The line of thought I don't understand is allowing one's line of thought to be completely convinced something is going to happen, because many others share the same line of thought. But it seems strange to assume that something is going to happen based on nothing, when I might never happen! I just don't understand the line of thought.

The only line of thought i was trying to express is that I like playing AFM, a lot. So I got one, despite the fact that many people's line of thought was that it made no sense to buy one.

8 months later I'm still playing my AFM, which to my line of thought is a win! Cause I love playing more than I love waiting for something that may never happen.

#20 8 years ago

This doesn't seem like a big deal to me. They've probably got an expiring license and saw a little more demand. So they're probably squeezing out another couple hundred that are probably already sold to distributors. Keeps the production line running and makes some extra cash. It shouldn't impact other game plans any more than making a couple hundred more TWD or MET.

#21 8 years ago

I hope the bubble bursts, but I just don't see it. Maybe if the stock market declines, but as long as the stock market stays high people are feeling fine about spending money. I see Demand for pinball machines remaining extremely high and collectors continuing to stock pile games in their basements. It's crazy how many first time buyers from a few years ago now have 4-7 machines. All that being said....Please crash!!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'd love to see hand-drawn Spidey art all over a playfield...just feels like a pipe-dream.

Well of course because Jaws is next...remember that nugget everyone talked themselves into?

#23 8 years ago

Sometimes rumors are true. 3 weeks ago, I had called distributors about pricing and 2 of them thought Iron Man VE was coming out.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

This is part of the problem. People spreading rumors that they don't know are true or can confirm.

Check back around the new year and let me know how that works out.

#25 8 years ago

#line of thought

#26 8 years ago

You've got the looks, I've got the brains, lets make lots of money...

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Don't forget the rumored Big Bang Bar remake that many here state unequivocally will be remade. - Pinside is alive with misinformation.

i've never seen a single poster state it definitely will be remade.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Meanwhile, I'm gonna go play a few games of AFM. Seeya!

Don't you work?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You've got the looks, I've got the brains, lets make lots of money...

Thanks.

#30 8 years ago

Gary is the one that said there will be more VEs. It was right in the press release, and right on their Facebook post about it:

"Look for future Stern Vault Editions."

There it is, right from Stern themselves. So of course it is going to cause rampant speculation. And OF COURSE it is going to make a mess of the secondary market. That is exactly what it was intended to do. Sure, you could buy that HUO copy... or maybe Stern will release it again as a VE, so you might want to wait until Stern moves. At the time I thought destroying your secondary market intentionally was a horrible idea. It turned out to be brilliant. They are now competing against their secondary market... and they are winning.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I agree with this sentiment.

That said, there are certain "rumors" that are based on good information, especially regarding future Stern releases, that turn out to be rock solid/accurate. Plenty of examples of this on Pinside.

I think SMVE is one of them.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Check back around the new year and let me know how that works out.

Will do. I look forward to this rumored re-theme for maybe a 500 machine run that will require Stern to produce all new artwork, code, dots, sounds, and call outs. We all know they are on top of code and have coders sitting around twiddling their thumbs!

#33 8 years ago

What this means, is buying a NIB, under the prospect of appreciation, is less likely.
Buying say a Tron over a current VE price, can be a gamble of value retention, if re released.

Of course, these get absorbed into the market, and an "x" period of time goes by where demand might
increase, and re-sale prices change........or not.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

These rumors about a retheme with comic art...it sounds cool, but what are the chances this actually happens? I know for a fact that Stern isn't leaking rumors about it. They never show their hand...and what information they do leak often seems to be smoke.

I'm not a rumor monger.

#35 8 years ago

rumors.jpgrumors.jpg

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Will do. I look forward to this rumored re-theme for maybe a 500 machine run that will require Stern to produce all new artwork, code, dots, sounds, and call outs. We all know they are on top of code and have coders sitting around twiddling their thumbs!

Saving this space to coincide with release.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

It doesn't even make sense. How has the bubble burst? Bubble bursting indicates there is too much supply and not enough demand causing prices to plummet. Clearly there's more demand for Iron Man, and Stern is filling it. So....yeah, no bubble has burst. IM, even with last year's VE - is still a low run game considering how well loved it is. More makes sense. I still can't figure out why this moniker of "VE" has made pinside lose it's f*cking mind for the past year or so. Iron Man is a PRO machine. Never an LE, never a guaranteed scarce collectible. Stern kept LOTR and TSPP in production for 7 or 8 years. This is no different. If there's demand and the cost of relicensing is reasonable - a game will be made again.

Anyway - Iron Man is awesome. For those who wanted a new one, enjoy!

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How has the bubble burst?

bubblepop.jpgbubblepop.jpg

#39 8 years ago

IM is the bees knees, the more out there, the better.

I predict that others will predict what stern will decide to remake until the cows come home...or don't.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The whole thing is kinda silly to me, I don't understand NOT buying a game because there exists some possibility of it being re-run. I've been enjoying my AFM since Super Bowl Sunday - hundreds of plays- while others shudder in fear in the dark shadows, waiting for the day, many years from now, when they are convinced AFMr will be unleashed.
It's only pinball folks.

Why sink money into a 10 year old machined that costs more than a new machine when if you are patient you might be able to get it new for less? In the meantime there are plenty of other machines which have 0 chance of being remade and are plenty of fun.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It doesn't even make sense. How has the bubble burst? Bubble bursting indicates there is too much supply and not enough demand causing prices to plummet. Clearly there's more demand for Iron Man, and Stern is filling it. So....yeah, no bubble has burst. IM, even with last year's VE - is still a low run game considering how well loved it is. More makes sense. I still can't figure out why this moniker of "VE" has made pinside lose it's f*cking mind for the past year or so. Iron Man is a PRO machine. Never an LE, never a guaranteed scarce collectible. Stern kept LOTR and TSPP in production for 7 or 8 years. This is no different. If there's demand and the cost of relicensing is reasonable - a game will be made again.
Anyway - Iron Man is awesome. For those who wanted a new one, enjoy!

If someone had a used one hoping it would appreciate (or sell for more than they paid), now it wont happen. Bubble has burst for them.

#42 8 years ago

They re-boot the Spiderman movies every 2 years, so it **might** make sense to re-release SpidermanVE with new backglass art.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

If someone had a used one hoping it would appreciate (or sell for more than they paid), now it wont happen. Bubble has burst for them.

Someone failing to profit on a used product based on their own foolish speculation is not a bubble bursting. Pinball is a game...to be played for fun. People still love Iron Man and more are being made to fill demand - therefore, no bubble has burst.

#44 8 years ago

Notice how WWE is not even on the line….

I can't be the only one who thinks Iron Man VE wasn't in response to WWE.

#45 8 years ago

I think its great to have the options, but can't this hurt them in the long run? I don't know how many NIB games you guys buy, but I'm good for maybe one a year and it has to be something I love. Since I only buy the games I love, I don't really want to just sell them off for the next thing.

New runs of Metallica Premium, Iron Man and the rumors of Spider Man and Game Of Thrones all in such a relatively short span of time makes me want to wait-and-see. I might love all of them, but can't commit to any of them. I guess the smart side of this may be stealing the occasional buyer like me from Jersey Jack or Heighway with an onslaught of releases.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They re-boot the spiderman movies every 2 years, so it **might** make sense to re-release SpidermanVE with new backglass art.

Comic art all the way. Nobody wants to stare at this poofy poser.

images.jpgimages.jpg

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I think its great to have the options, but can't this hurt them in the long run?

Nope, this is how Stern stays in business. They can weather a flop because they have this great selection of titles on the line. One doesn't sell well, another makes up for it. JJP has been struggling as they only have one title for customers to chose from...and if things slow down on that title - then they have no income.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Notice how WWE is not even on the line….
I can't be the only one who thinks Iron Man VE wasn't in response to WWE.

People said IMve (last year) was a response to Mustang sales. Maybe, maybe not...but I think they're doing really well right now with Kiss, Metallica & Star Trek...I don't think IMve is a response to anything other than demand & the capability to make more.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'm not a rumor monger.

Totally wasn't accusing you... just wondering, what water they hold. It's been bouncing around pinside for a while.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Comic art all the way. Nobody wants to stare at this poofy poser.
images.jpg

He's not Spider-Man anymore. He is:

spider-man-actor-tom-holland.jpgspider-man-actor-tom-holland.jpg

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i've never seen a single poster state it definitely will be remade.

I have. But even more so, I've seen many "True Believer" comments. They speak as if its a forgone conclusion.
And not just BBB but other titles also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
$ 25.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-the-stern-ve-bubble-just-burst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.