• 28 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by J85M
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

[Ad embed: this ad was deleted]

Buyer beware. Price way too cheap. No pics.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Price way too cheap.

That's more than they were new.

#3 6 years ago

Description very similar to this link:

http://www.pinballowners.com/analogkidd1

Seller just joined today, price well below market, no reason to put Eli's ramp mod in an LE and it isn't even compatible, no pics. Scam for sure.

#4 6 years ago

Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to think that this is not legit. Just because someone has just signed up and has a lower than typical price does not always equate to a scam. Might be better to attempt contact and feel things out before going right to ripoffville. I am all for pointing out scams but feel that we should investigate thoroughly before judging.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Maybe we shouldnt be so quick to think that this is not legit. Just because someone has just signed up and has a lower than typical price does not always equate to a scam. Might be better to attempt contact and feel things out before going right to ripoffville. I am all for pointing out scams but feel that we should investigate thoroughly before judging.

I posted it with a buyer beware goal, not a "this is a definite scam" goal.

However, if you want to contact the seller and ask for pics of an LE with the ELI kit installed, I would like to see THAT actually working.

#6 6 years ago

Seems very fishy to me. Definitely proceed with caution.

#7 6 years ago

I offered him $5k. I am hoping we can at least meet somewhere in the middle.

#8 6 years ago

After looking into it, the mod team concluded that it's almost certainly a scam. The ad has been pulled, and the seller has been booted from the site. Thanks for the heads up!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

After looking into it, the mod team concluded that it's almost certainly a scam. The ad has been pulled, and the seller has been booted from the site. Thanks for the heads up!

Scammers!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The ad has been pulled, and the seller has been booted from the site.

Darn it! Now my PMs can't get through.

#11 6 years ago

Scammers seem to be flocking to Pinside these days.

#12 6 years ago

Yep, and the scammers are getting more and more savvy every day. This person's account was verified, which means they actually spent money in order to try to scam people. All the more reason to be extra cautious when buying from a brand new member or someone with a limited posting history.

#13 6 years ago

A standard Tron with the same pic popped up on SF CL. Google image search “Tron Pinball” and that Arcade Heroes pic was on the first page. I assumed it was a scam.

#14 6 years ago

I told him I’d take it, waiting for pics. Should be interesting.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I told him I’d take it, waiting for pics. Should be interesting.

Keep us posted!

#16 6 years ago

Mods, great job on booting the seller from the site but may I make a suggestion? Instead of just pulling the ad, Why not let other pinsiders see it so we can all learn from it? Perhaps, you could create a "Pulled ads" section where people can see these kind of ads and learn! I wanted to check out the ad so I can learn from it but I got here too late. I applaud your efforts at protecting pinsiders from scammers but I don't see any good in just pulling the ad. Instead, why not use it for educational purposes? Just saying....

#17 6 years ago

I have a real Tron LE with a lot of mods for sale.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Mods, great job on booting the seller from the site but may I make a suggestion? Instead of just pulling the ad, Why not let other pinsiders see it so we can all learn from it? Perhaps, you could create a "Pulled ads" section where people can see these kind of ads and learn! I wanted to check out the ad so I can learn from it but I got here too late. I applaud your efforts at protecting pinsiders from scammers but I don't see any good in just pulling the ad. Instead, why not use it for educational purposes? Just saying....

Scammer Hall Of Shame

With watermarked images across them SCAMMER of course

#19 6 years ago

Dang! Pulled? How am I gonna get my money back?

Quoted from tatman9999:

I have a real Tron LE with a lot of mods for sale.

You price matching?

#20 6 years ago

But it had flame-polished plastics! How many Trons have that?

#21 6 years ago

Why did they pull my ad? I'm not a scammer, I'm an addict - I just needed the money for JJP4!

#22 6 years ago

The pin should have been under a standard tron not an le with the notation of the le like mods. This listed pin was a standard model not le.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Pulling the ad and banning the account prevents anyone else from contacting the scammer.

For the most part, it was the same as most other scam ads--photos and text stolen from elsewhere, and the ad was posted using a brand new account with no forum posts.

Whenever you encounter a fishy ad, always do a reverse image search and a search for the text in the ad.

#24 6 years ago

Good tip! I still believe turning a negative into a positive is the way to go here. Just look at SoulRider for example, unfortunately he recently got scammed trying to buy a T2. He provided a lot of helpful information such as passport photos, and general information about the transaction. I found his thread to be very helpful to the pinside community. But what are the chances SoulRider's thread reached out to the entire community? Or to that newbie buying his first pinball machine? Once the thread dies, it just goes to the bottom never to be seen again, unless it gets bumped. And even if it gets bumped, that doesn't guarantee people will see the thread.

Pinside could possibly compile important info about each scam or attempted scam and make it available for pinsiders in a "Scam" section (or whatever). This way, the information is readily available at anytime, not just when someone gets scammed. I thank pinsiders like SoulRider and the OP of this thread for providing valuable information about a scam or potential scam. Unfortunately scam alert threads only get so far and die out quickly. I just feel we can do a lot more to better prepare the community detect a potential scam or scammer. Pinside is a great community and I believe Pinside has a great team that could make this happen. I know I may be asking for too much but I do feel it's a good idea

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Pinside could possibly compile important info about each scam or attempted scam and make it available for pinsiders in a "Scam" section (or whatever).

Well, unfortunately, then it turns into a guide for scammers of what not do to.

They are always changing their tactics. Robin has had to implement various changes to the site in order to try to keep them out. It's a cat and mouse game.

Basically--just use common sense and be smart about dealing with someone.

#26 6 years ago

Don't let new users post for sale ads until they have a posting history, a certain level of pinside points or tie it to longevity as a member, maybe 60-90 days.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Don't let new users post for sale ads until they have a posting history, a certain level of pinside points or tie it to longevity as a member, maybe 60-90 days.

This may sound good in theory, but the problem is that sometimes lurkers decide to finally join the site for the sole purpose of selling a game.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I kinda agree Rob but also due to recent experiences (good ones) I have to kinda disagree, I recently got some NOS Goldeneye items of a couple different members, I exchanged pms, private emails at which point I felt I would take the "risk", I simply used paypal and my credit card to pay for the items, that way if anyone happened I was protected under my credit cards buyer protection policies.

I received my items off both sellers pretty quick, everything is NOS and exactly as described and photographed. Neither member posts much, in fact one member has 3 posts and has been a member for 2 years (could be viewed as dodgy or a sleeper account).

Biggest lesson to learn and practice as a community is no matter who you are dealing with, look for obvious red flags and if things seem good and you do move forward make sure you cover your own ass when it comes to making a payment/sending money, that way if anything happens your covered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looks-like-a-tron-le-scam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.