Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

My wife and I are wanting to learn everything about restoring and fixing pinball machines. I have seen a couple very old threads about this but nothing recent. We currently only have three, A.F., T.Z. and M.M. We are not wanting to hire someone to come 1 1/2 out of Phoenix for repairs. We would love to either go to a class or work for free while learning the trade. We can travel. Please let us know if you know of a school/class or if you have a place like the pinball museum in Vegas that we could come help and learn at. I'm not too proud to be your errand boy or coffee runner in order to learn.

#2 4 years ago

Youtube has lots of how to videos. On pinball and general electronics. Local community college might have an electronics course to help you with basics.

Get a solid state beater. Get it going. Learn as you go.

Get a Star Trek the Next Generation that doesn't work. Get that thing up to speed and you'll have learned most of what you'll ever need.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Clay's DVD guides are excellent- http://www.pinrepair.com/top/

#4 4 years ago

Buy broken games, fix , repeat.

#5 4 years ago

If you were in PA, I'd loan you all my broken pinballs to fix! Experience is your best teacher

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

If you were in PA, I'd loan you all my broken pinballs to fix! Experience is your best teacher

What do you have? Does that include some time to enjoy them when they’re up and running?

#7 4 years ago

Wasn’t born into this hobby with a silver spoon. It takes effort to figure it out.

#8 4 years ago

If you have a background or some experience with solid state electronics
    and know how to use a DVM or VOM and soldering iron, you're half
    way there. If not, you'll need to get an education in this area or accept
    the fact you'll have to pay someone to fix your machines.

Normally, for someone new to the hobby I'd suggest getting a non-working
    project (SS or EM) and learn that way. But with the machines you have there
    is a good chance you'll damage your machines (or yourself) if you go
    in blind.
    Steve

#9 4 years ago

Pinball repair: just when you think youve seen it all something new comes along

#10 4 years ago

If you're near Pittsburgh, PaPA has a great 8 week class 1 time a year. Awesome stuff

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Get a Star Trek the Next Generation that doesn't work. Get that thing up to speed and you'll have learned most of what you'll ever need.

That is *exactly* what I did. STTNG was my first pin and a little bit of everything was wrong with it. Learned pretty much everything on it, even anger management LOL.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Buy broken games, fix , repeat.

Also, when you get stuck, post well structured questions and pics in the tech forums here. The support here is great IMO.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffswack:

If you're near Pittsburgh, PaPA has a great 8 week class 1 time a year. Awesome stuff

Where do you get info on that?

#14 4 years ago

You may be able to find someone local to mentor you a bit, but realistically, you will need to learn on your own using the internet resources to guide you. All the info you need is out there and people here can guide you to the right resources. As several have. Best wishes in your endeavor!

#15 4 years ago

You can come work on my games, lol!

I always have multiple projects hanging around

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from pincoin:

What part of PA? I'm looking to learn this as well

#17 4 years ago

Deffo buy projects and fix them up best way to learn in pinball.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Deffo buy projects and fix them up best way to learn in pinball.

Exactly how I did it. With Clay's, Vid1900, & other online guides it just takes time & hands on experience. Buy a couple of project beaters.

#19 4 years ago

OP, what's your location? We have an active repair group in Houston that is slowly growing.

#20 4 years ago

Another way to learn is to post new repair threads when you get stumped. Lots of people will help with their point of view/explanations.

Joining each Pinside game club thread on each title you own and just keep reading through each. You can learn a lot about the different issues people each on each title.

#21 4 years ago

start fixing up project games. early bally/stern games are pretty friendly to get started on. Tons of information about repairing them.

#22 4 years ago

Pinwiki.com is a great resource...don't forget to check that out for repair info.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-learn-how-to-be-a-pinball-tech?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.