(Topic ID: 109139)

Looking to Learn - Houston

By Mizzoo70

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

As we all know, machines need constant attention and repairs. I'm looking to expand my (little) knowledge on basic repairs and up keep. There's only so much that one can learn from watching You Tube videos. If anyone in the Houston area is shopping or tweaking a machine and willing to teach someone or needing an extra hand, I'm willing to learn and help. Hell, I'll even bring the beer!
    Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Plenty of people in the area are working on projects.

I have my TRON LE I brought to the expo, will be needing a cleanup soon....

My Doctor Who needs that darn bash target installed back into the mini playfield, I also have a new set of decals that will need to be installed before too long....

I have a Bally Atlantis that needs to be airbrushed, cleared, and reassembled, hopefully before TPF...

The Game Preserve in The Woodlands could always use a hand with pinball repair as well and are usually welcoming to have another set of hands. Beer and Crown is always welcome at the preserve as well. Swing on by on a Saturday night and you will meet plenty of us that could use a spare hand.

#3 9 years ago

Nice that you have Iron Man.

I would say that what I have learned has been:

Buy a decent soldering iron rather go cheap.
    Learn to read schematics.
    Diagnostics are your friend.
    Accept you will break something.
    Buy more fuses than you need.
    Keep track of which screws go where under the playfield. You can easily late run a screw through the playfield.
    Make sure your game is grounded.
    Don't over tighten your legs.
    Only buy games you like.
    It is easier to sell something that is in good shape.
    You'll run out of room before money.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks. I won't be able to make it up this weekend, but I shouldn't have an issues getting up there next week. I'll get in touch with you. Thanks again.

2 months later
    #5 9 years ago

www.pinwiki.com is a good source to read up on many pinball machine eras and the common issues you will encounter.

Any game in particular are you still having trouble with right now?

#6 9 years ago

I'm looking to do a shop on my Hook. It needs it bad. My Iron Man VE has been acting up too recently. Whiplash multi ball starts after one hit. For some reason, it registers five shots while on the magnet.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzoo70:

I'm looking to do a shop on my Hook. It needs it bad. My Iron Man VE has been acting up too recently. Whiplash multi ball starts after one hit. Form some reason, it registers five shots while on the magnet.

Sounds like you may need a switch adjustment. Switch contacts sound like they are too close. You can go into the switch test and hit the target switch and see how many times it activates there. My parents' house is in Needville. One day in the next 2 or 3 weeks I could stop by in you hadn't fix that switch issue by then.

Basically you have to figure out what order to take the parts off. Once you get everything off you want, then you can clean the playfield and wax it, clean the parts and reinstall the parts. most people take pictures as they remove some parts.

#8 9 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. If I can't get it fixed, I'll let you know. I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that if its not too far out of the way.

#9 9 years ago

I could swing by one day after leaving my parents house on the way back home near Katy.
    Wouldn't be much out of the way at all.

#10 9 years ago

Sounds good. Thanks!

1 year later
    #11 7 years ago

Did you get your games working?
    I'll be at the Game Preserve on Saturday to help repair games out there. They have a pinball tournament there on Saturday 8/27 at 4pm. I should be there sometime before then.

1 week later
    #12 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you get your games working?
    I'll be at the Game Preserve on Saturday to help repair games out there. They have a pinball tournament there on Saturday 8/27 at 4pm. I should be there sometime before then.

Sorry for the delayed response. Had surgery and have been resting. I did for the most part. Started having issues with my upper flipper on Wh2o so I'll be trying to tackle that next. I really need to get up to the game preserve again here pretty soon.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzoo70:

Sorry for the delayed response. Had surgery and have been resting. I did for the most part

Your response was much faster than mine, which was a year later. I'm glad you're resting. What did you find out with the games you had issue with a year ago?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-learn-houston and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.