(Topic ID: 76576)

Looking to jump in... some questions though!

By gern

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pafasa
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    image3.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

You can tell by my profile that I am a newb. I've been thinking about getting into pinball for a long time. I've frequently lurked this forum and others over the last few years. I'm starting to get the itch and really want to jump in to the hobby. I'm fairly comfortable working with electronics and built a MAME machine several years ago and really enjoyed it.

I've been looking for a pinball machine off and on for the last year or so. I've come across a Lethal Weapon 3 that isn't too far from where I live. I'm am thinking about going to check it out over the weekend. But I am wary about what I may be getting myself into! Here is what I know about the machine from the seller.

*$650 for the machine
    *Needs a new DMD (I didn't ask what was wrong with the current one)
    *Has one broken plastic (not sure which one)
    *Game powers up (not sure if playable)
    *Switches work
    *Needs some soldering work (He says that on the coils some of the wires have come off and others are just kind of poorly done. He also says, I'd assume they still work, but they look kind of bad.)

I've gone through the forums and looked at a lot of old threads about this machine. Is there anything else that I should ask before going to look at the machine? Any advice in general? Thank you for any help!

#5 10 years ago

Thank you for all the advice so far everyone!

For those wondering I am pretty good with electronics. I wired up my MAME machine from scratch, not that it means much in my eyes. My Dad is also an electrician and when I was younger we had an old pinball machine called Butterfly. I remember it had a rotary score area on the backglass and you could play up to four players on it. I wish my folks still had it!

#6 10 years ago

Here are some pics the seller sent me. Not sure if they'd help anyone identify any potential issues.

image.jpegimage.jpeg image2.jpegimage2.jpeg image3.jpegimage3.jpeg
    #8 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

none of the playfield lights appear to be working, could be a fuse, could be a connector, who knows.
    This looks like a big project, and who knows how much money you will have to put in. Time to ask yourself are you more excited to play a machine right away, or more excited to learn how to fix one right away? In my opinion I would not buy this as a first game, better to get a working game ready to play, or with minor issues that you could fix quickly to get it up and running, like replacing all of the bands, cleaning it etc..

Thank you for the reply. I'm not in a hurry to play a machine right away. I am more interested in learning how to fix a pinball machine. I love working on projects. I think I had more fun building my MAME machine then I do now actually playing it! My issue is I have no idea how much it will cost to fix. I looked up DMDs and see that I can expect to pay $150-$200 for one.

Could the playfield lights not working is be a bigger issue than a fuse or connector?

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

go grab it and jump in. LW isn't one of my favorite pins, but it's better than a lot of them.
    working on them and learning is half the fun.
    if you want a DMD with 1 vertical line out [rest works great] you can have it free if you just pay shipping.

Wow! I cannot believe all the great advice in here already. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

dgoett, thank you so much for the offer on the DMD! I am floored! I really appreciate the offer... wow. I think I am going to go and check it out this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes. If anyone has any other advice please feel free to post!

I am concerned about the board that looks smoked. Would that require a replacement board or is that something that can be sent out and fixed, or something that I can fix? Does anyone now of average cost on that? Of course it could be a bad pic. I think I want to check out the machine or see if the owner can send me some more pics.

Thanks again for the advice everyone. And please keep it coming!

#20 10 years ago

The image with the wire nuts and possible smoked area appear to be right above the DMD, correct?

#33 10 years ago

Thanks again for all the comments and advice. I'm still debating about going to look at it over the weekend.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

This is meaningful.

Jalpert, is it meaningful because there may be more wrong with the machine than advertised?

I am planning to go and check it out tomorrow sometime.

#39 10 years ago

I did end up buying Lethal Weapon 3. The playfield has 2 broken targets, the seller gave me 4 replacement targets. The playfield looks good. There is one broken plastic piece in the upper left area. The score seems accurate when I tested different parts. The cabinet will need some paint but it is in good shape. We got home very late last night so I haven't gotten it moved into the house yet. Once I get it moved in, if anyone is interested I'll post some more pics. I ended up paying $525 for the machine. I'm really excited to start digging in.

#48 10 years ago

Thanks all for the well wishes! I've started a thread with some questions about the machine. The thread isn't getting much action though. Did I post it in the wrong spot or am I doing something wrong?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-flipper-and-plunger-issues

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gern.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-jump-in-some-questions-though?tu=gern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.