(Topic ID: 211482)

Looking to get back in. 2 pins $5-6k what to get?

By Jgel

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jgel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I have not had a pin for a few years. I have owned a few in the past. My house renovations are finished and I have room for 2 pins in my game area. I am looking for 2 games for a total of $5-6k. I really prefer games with modes. Shadow is my favorite game of all time. I have a wish list that is far from complete. If you could have a two pin collection for $6k what would you go after?

#2 6 years ago

The Shadow knows.

#3 6 years ago

I don't know if I would get another game that I already have had but if a good priced Shadow turned up I would really consider it. I also really like LW3 for some reason. It was a bit easy but the wife would play it.

#4 6 years ago

RS & Shadow would be a nice $6K combo....

#5 6 years ago

It depends a lot on what you can find for sale. I could say get x and y games, but if you can't find them or can't find a reasonably priced one, it doesn't do you any good. Go play a bunch of games (VFW show is coming up), make a list of what you like, then buy the first reasonably priced one that comes up on your list.

If all games were available and reasonably priced, maybe last action hero and shadow?

#6 6 years ago

#judge-dredd and The Shadow (with alt art package) would look awesome next to each other

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

RS & Shadow would be a nice $6K combo....

I have played RS a few times and never really got too into it. I do like the modes in the code.

Quoted from Parzival:

Judge Dredd and The Shadow (with alt art package) would look awesome next to each other

I don't mind the art on the Shadow. I have never played a Dredd. I like the theme and look of Demo Man better and have read every Demo Man vs Dredd post on here.

I have only ever played it on the PS4 but NGG is fun.

#8 6 years ago

I think it might be to expensive to stay under a 2 pin 6k limit, but Game of Thrones is a great mode based game.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I think it might be to expensive to stay under a 2 pin 6k limit, but Game of Thrones is a great mode based game.

I REALLY like GOT but the only chance to get two would be GOT and an EM I think. Not really wanting to do that. I have not seen a GOT Pro in the Northeast for awhile.

#10 6 years ago

Shadow, demolition man, nba Fastbreak, Dirty Harry- those are all fun pins. Pick any 2 for your $5000-$6000 budget. I’ve had all these and currently have Dirty Harry and shadow.

#11 6 years ago

How about World Cup Soccer '94 as one of the two? You can find those for $2500ish and to me it's a strong bang for your buck pin...as long as you are okay with the soccer theme and cartoon dog

#12 6 years ago

High Speed and Met Pro

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

High Speed and Met Pro

I really like Met Pro which is why I have it paired with my Game of Thrones, but for someone who wants a mode based game I would not suggest Met. Great game, but might not be what you are looking for with modes.

#14 6 years ago

Judge Dredd and Dirty Harry are excellent bang/buck games that are mode based.

#15 6 years ago

The Getaway and Judge Dredd.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

The Getaway and Judge Dredd.

I need to add those to my big spender thread!

#17 6 years ago

Surprised by how man Dirty Harry replies there are here. I have never played one. That would allow me a second fun pin for sure. And everyone here seems to go Dredd over Demo Man

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Surprised by how man Dirty Harry replies there are here. I have never played one.

DH is a good game...I don't know how easy they are to find though.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

And everyone here seems to go Dredd over Demo Man

DM is fun...but Dredd has much better longevity.

#20 6 years ago

I'd pick dm over dredd any day

#21 6 years ago

Dredd over DM all day. Dredd is underrated and great value especially if you're looking for mode based

#22 6 years ago

Fish Tales and The Shadow. That should keep you around $5,500 with a little extra money to play with.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spagano314:

Fish Tales and The Shadow. That should keep you around $5,500 with a little extra money to play with.

I think you'd be doing very well to get Shadow and Fish Tales for $5500. Even average Shadows seem to have crept well over $3k, and I think Fish Tales is generally north of $2.5k these days as well. But that would be a great (and tough) set of games to sharpen your skills on.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spagano314:

I would be all over this right now if I could find it at this price.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I have not had a pin for a few years. I have owned a few in the past. My house renovations are finished and I have room for 2 pins in my game area. I am looking for 2 games for a total of $5-6k. I really prefer games with modes. Shadow is my favorite game of all time. I have a wish list that is far from complete. If you could have a two pin collection for $6k what would you go after?

I have a dh and a nf I might let go for some cash so as I can get something new. Both have brand new colordmd within last couple months. Or can be had with original dmd. Not really sure what kind of price to put on them but I think we'd be able to work something out in your price range if interested.

#26 6 years ago

What about two nice Data East games? JP and Tommy or TFTC?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I would be all over this right now if I could find it at this price.

Had both in good condition for around 5k.... its possible just not with pinside prices

#28 6 years ago

Just get a MET and be done with it. One great game is better than two mediocre or even good games and plus you can always buy game two when you build your funds back up. I just got a MET and cant stop playing it.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just get a MET and be done with it. One great game is better than two mediocre or even good games and plus you can always buy game two when you build your funds back up. I just got a MET and cant stop playing it.

Good game but even it gets boreing after a while.... more pins are always better imo.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

If you're handy with fixing pins, start scoping out locations with unloved pins and pick up fixer-uppers. You should be able to get 2004-2009 Sterns for $1000-$2000 each and then fix them up to play or trade for newer machines. It takes time to network, but if you do, you can have a decent stream of low cost pins to fix up and play/sell for better pins.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just get a MET and be done with it.

Too many people say that it gets old in a small collection.

#32 6 years ago

i agree with shadow

and add a BSD. BSD pairs well with any mode game.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Maybe. After years.

#34 6 years ago

I would go for one mode-based DMD and one earlier SS. I like the option of having a long, thoughtful game on the mode-based DMD, or being able to just flail around on the earlier SS without having to invest the time or energy that the modes would take.

I have a WPT currently, and like the rules and simplicity of the El Dorado line of games... but that might be too many drop targets for a 2 pin collection.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Maybe. After years.

Any game gets boring in a very small selection.

#36 6 years ago

I'd go for a HUO TWD Pro ($4500) and an early SS game ($1500).

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

I honestly cant imagine MET ever getting old but i guess anything is possible for some people. MET is full of great shots and the code is great.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I honestly cant imagine MET ever getting old but i guess anything is possible for some people.

I have played it an only a few times and loved the layout. I played Aerosmith not that long ago and really liked it as well.

Quoted from MikeS:

I'd go for a HUO TWD Pro

I know this game gets a lot of love but I have tried it at multiple locations and I can't get into it. It seems so crowded and tight. I have read that the code is great. I love the theme but the big fat zombie is really ugly. I actually think if I could play it without it costing me $1 a game I might learn to love it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-get-back-in-2-pins-5-6k-what-to-get?hl=pinballology and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.