(Topic ID: 183090)

Looking to buy NIB Stern. Does Dealer matter?

By GhostThruster

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy my first home and NIB machine. I was wondering if you all had any recommended Dealers or if the idea is to just find the best price possible? I was thinking it would be nice to buy from a local supplier (build the relationship, help community, close to home service) but if I can get a cheaper price online then that might be the better option. I'm looking to purchase a Ghostbusters machine.

Thanks in advance!

#2 7 years ago

Sure dealer matters.

Look for one who provides what you want.

Cheapest ? After sale help ? Home service ?

Dealers come in many shapes and sizes. Closest to you may or may not be good.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

buying from a local is always great. like you said, build a relationship. someone to talk with, etc, etc.

one thing to watch is that if you buy from a local IA distributor then they are required to collect the sales tax from you. on the other hand, if you order one from out of state then the distributor is not required to collect sales tax (although you are supposed to be a good citizen and pay your taxes).

if you have specific questions shoot me a pm and i can help you out.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

buying from a local is always great.

Especially if he has it already set up and out of the box to inspect and play. That takes a lot of the mystery out of the purchase and is the only reason I own a Batman (66) today.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 7 years ago

Yes, buy local! Head to downtown Solon, Iowa, where you'll find the pinball district. Talk to the various pinball dealers you meet and buy from the one you feel most comfortable with:

http://www.sternpinball.com/find-a-retailer/?zip=&city=&state=Iowa&country=

#6 7 years ago

Some have said on Pinside that their dealer really helped with ghosting/pf issues. Others got very frustrated with their dealer's lack of help, some very very frustrated. This would be very important to me. YMMV.

#7 7 years ago

Buying local helped me as a first time buyer. My local dealer hand delivered and set up the machine and showed me the ropes. I also have a tight fit in a staircase and I was glad to let my dealer take responsibility for the move. It was worth the slightly extra cost to me compared to a buddy that found the best price available on the same machine NIB. Would I order from him again? Possibly, if I wasn't willing to take the head off the pin for the tight fit in the staircase.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies. I've reached out to a couple local shops to see what they have going on. Cheers!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-nib-stern-does-dealer-matter?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.