(Topic ID: 260676)

Looking to buy my first Pinball for my 9 year old son

By The_Great_Man

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2322 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2319 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2318 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2306(1) (resized).JPG
    received_317208282503617 (resized).jpeg
    20200127_120625 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1523233220854 (resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Find someone local who has worked on Williams games and invite over for a meal and beverages to open up and show you around.

Didn’t the seller spend a few minutes to give you an overview?

#52 4 years ago

He did show me around a little but I have a problem that when I start "tinkering" with something....I do not know when to stop. I blame it on the Engineer in me trying to make things perfect.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:

Update: So I bought a Williams Aztec machine for $800 and it is in pretty good shape. Kids like playing it. And although my wife does not understand why we have a pinball machine in our house - She seems to play it quite a bit. I am really trying to resist the urge to open up the guts of the machine and start tinkering with it. My plan is to try to find a Williams High Speed or NGG game for around $2,000-$2,500 and stop with that. Unless of course I find a decent Spiderman machine for sale. One of the early replyers was right on - I should have just gotten a sub and called it a day. Thanks for all your help.

Congrats! You should be able to find a High Speed under 2K for sure. If you find a NGG for 2K...pay for it as fast as you can and never look back . Good luck stopping at 2 - I said that 9 games ago.

#54 4 years ago

He did show me around a little but I have a problem that when I start "tinkering" with something....I do not know when to stop. I blame it on the Engineer in me trying to make things perfect.

Being a EM machine if it works alright I wouldn't mess with it.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Being a EM machine if it works alright I wouldn't mess with it.

This! Buy non working one and tinker with that.

#56 4 years ago

I think a system 11 is in order for a first pin. And to cater to the nine year old, look at Mousin Around, or Bad Cats for a title.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I think a system 11 is in order for a first pin. And to cater to the nine year old, look at Mousin Around, or Bad Cats for a title.

Pinbot is popular with kids. Is cheap. And is a system 11

#58 4 years ago

NGG usually go for 3800-4800 where I live.

#59 4 years ago

F-14 is fast and hard. My kids liked it but only for a little bit. We have had a lot of system 11s and they enjoyed them but the can be unforgiving. The ones the seem to play the most is the newer ones or mid 90s with the dmd. Main reason is ball save time can be changed so the game isn’t over so quick. If you’re thinking high speed, I would consider high speed 2 which is called The Getaway. Good pin and that’s really fun to play.

On all our pins that i can i will adjust the settings to make it easier. I make all my pins pretty easy for the kids. Any award, specials etc i put as extra balls. I also move the out lane posts in and have 15 sec for ball saves. It has worked well so far. We play pins as a family at least once a week

#60 4 years ago

Has anyone mentioned Playboy? He'll thank you in a few years

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Pinbot is popular with kids. Is cheap. And is a system 11

Can also confirm Mousin Around is a hit!

received_317208282503617 (resized).jpegreceived_317208282503617 (resized).jpeg
    #62 4 years ago

For a 9 year old boy I'd suggest Gtb Spiderman.
    Great game with great graphics. It'd be a good first pin
    too. Save the remaining $4K as his (and your) interest
    blooms.
    Steve

#63 4 years ago

My son is 9 as well and he's been playing pinball since about 7 years old. He has quickly become a very good pinball player and came in 7th in a 35 person tournament last summer. He's currently doing great in a local league. His absolute favorite machine right now is Attack from Mars with Addams family a close second. We have three machines at home Munsters, Stranger Things, and F-14. His order is probably Stranger Things - Munsters - F-14 (doesn't really play that one). As he gets older I'll probably get deeper machines but for now these are good.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:Thanks for all the advice. So I am thinking I should be looking at spreading the $5000 around and maybe getting 2 or 3 machines. I think I would like the Star Trek machine but that might be a bit much. I think my son would like the Spyder-Man game. Looks like I could get a pretty decent Aztec machine and an F-14 Tomcat machine for about $3,000. Anyone have any experience with these machines and kids?

F-14 Tomcat is a great game...lots of action, lights, etc. I had one, but sold for a price I couldn't refuse and replaced it with my Corvette machine.

Seriously considering adding F-14 Tomcat back into collection.

#65 4 years ago

Any pat Lawler game you can not go wrong with just hard to find a cheap one

#66 4 years ago

Congrats! Next time just get whatever you want and tell your wife, "it is for the kids"...

Seriously, though, congrats.

1 week later
    #67 4 years ago

I want to thank all who gave me information. I have bought an Aztec pin ($800) and what I think is a pretty nice High Speed game ($1,800). Not bad I think. Have started to tinker around a little with them - some work inside, changing bulbs and some work cleaning and waxing. Here is a picture of my current setup until I can move them to another room. I only have one more question: The High Speed game has mylar on it that has been there a long time. It is in pretty good shape but it has some bubbling, some clouding around the lights and some minor lifting on the edges. The defects really do not influence the game play just the looks. My question is: Do I lift off the mylar and replace it? Do I lift off the mylar and just wax it? Or do I just leave it - It is fine the way it is?

IMG_2306(1) (resized).JPGIMG_2306(1) (resized).JPGIMG_2318 (resized).JPGIMG_2318 (resized).JPGIMG_2319 (resized).JPGIMG_2319 (resized).JPG
    #68 4 years ago

Looks great. I would leave the mylar alone. Dim the lights you won't even notice it.

#69 4 years ago

If you try to remove the mylar, there is a good chance it will take parts the playfield artwork with it. It can be a tricky job even for an expert.

Unless the mylar is a real problem, you should just leave it.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Great_Man:do I just leave it - It is fine the way it is

Clearly this by your description.

#71 4 years ago

Ugh. Get those God awful LED's out of that Aztec.

#72 4 years ago

My plan is to try to find a Williams High Speed or NGG game for around $2,000-$2,500 and stop with that. Unless of course I find a decent Spiderman machine for sale.

My experience has been that pinball machines are like water: they fill their container until it is full. Fortunately/unfortunately for me, I've never had room for more than 7 pins in my game room. So I'm (somewhat reluctantly) content to keep that as my limit.

I have several friends, however, who have pins scattered across multiple rooms in their homes. To them, the entire house's floorpan is their limit (which includes space in the garage for those who live in temperate climes.) The only reason I don't do that (besides controlling cost and fear of them taking over) is that I'll regularly invite a group of people over to play so I don't want them traipsing all over my house to try all my games.

So far I've been able to stick to my "all pins must live in my one and only game room" rule. But I have been VERY tempted WAY too many times when I see a game I'd really like to own and start thinking things like "Do I really need that dining room set? It rarely gets used ..." and "you know ... if I moved the sofa over there and put one end against the wall and then got rid of the end table I wouldn't need any more ..." In short: I need willpower to not get Firepower.

#73 4 years ago

Update: So I bought a Williams Aztec machine for $800 and it is in pretty good shape. Kids like playing it. And although my wife does not understand why we have a pinball machine in our house - She seems to play it quite a bit. I am really trying to resist the urge to open up the guts of the machine and start tinkering with it. My plan is to try to find a Williams High Speed or NGG game for around $2,000-$2,500 and stop with that. Unless of course I find a decent Spiderman machine for sale. One of the early replyers was right on - I should have just gotten a sub and called it a day. Thanks for all your help.

No one has mentioned Bugs Bunny's birthday ball.
    This game was designed for exactly this.

#74 4 years ago

dasvis: Is that better

IMG_2322 (resized).JPGIMG_2322 (resized).JPG
    1 month later
    #75 4 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Can also confirm Mousin Around is a hit![quoted image]

damn that game looks good. Great work on the lighting.

#76 4 years ago

My plan is to try to find a Williams High Speed or NGG game for around $2,000-$2,500 and stop with that.

Hey everybody! Get a load of THIS guy: he thinks he's going to be able to stop.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

Get a load of THIS guy: he thinks he's going to be able to stop.

How? By going cold turkey? Or have they developed a patch for that?

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from king-pin:

No one has mentioned Bugs Bunny's birthday ball.
    This game was designed for exactly this.

That game was designed to be burned.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

damn that game looks good. Great work on the lighting.

Ha thanks! Comet gets all the credit. Frosted cool white (yes, cool white rules you warm white people ) in the GI and backbox and clear non-ghosting color matched inserts. That's all there is to it!

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

I loved that. Actually told my daughter (9 years old) that I might sell the Aztec to get a different game because I can not work on it anymore. She said "You can not sell that machine. Just get a third one." So if a Space Station becomes available....I will own 3. But that is definitely it!

#81 4 years ago

I loved that. Actually told my daughter (9 years old) that I might sell the Aztec to get a different game because I can not work on it anymore. She said "You can not sell that machine. Just get a third one." So if a Space Station becomes available....I will own 3. But that is definitely it!

I remember saying I was done at 3 like 16 games ago.

#82 4 years ago

I agree with not being able to stop. I wanted 4 when i started collecting. That was it. Now I have 39 and don't even own any of the 4 anymore that I wanted from the beginning.

2 years later
    #83 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

How? By going cold turkey? Or have they developed a patch for that?

Been a while but.....Just bought my 3rd game - Taxi. How did you guys know I could not stop at 2?

Quoted from TheRudyB:

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-my-first-pinball-for-my-9-year-old-son/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.