(Topic ID: 67249)

Looking to buy my first new Stern (Star Trek). Please advise a newb.

By nosro

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have owned predominately WPC machines (I'm on my sixth) and had never considered buying a new Stern machine. However, after playing the new Star Trek at a local arcade, I am seriously thinking about it.

What do I need to know? Do I just shop based on price and have it shipped to my door? Or are there warranty considerations? Is there something tricky in unpacking and setting up a new machine which would demand personal delivery by the dealer?

#2 10 years ago

Well distributor is a personal preference, but you may want to get to know your local distributor if they have a good reputation. That way you have some close support in case you need something. I'm not sure who else is close to you but Hemi at Pinball Refinery is a really good guy, in MI and not to far from you. They can trick your machine out to
www.pinballrefinery.com

#3 10 years ago

I would contact JJ at Game Exchange...greta pricing and customer service...ask him your questions....be ready for issues with the machine since it has just come out....will take some time to get all the code updated and the machanical issues worked out...they are still working on them for Metallica

GL

#4 10 years ago

Another recommendation for JJ, unless you have a local distributor. I'm a big proponent of establishing a relationship with a local dealer, when possible/ practical, especially if you are relatively new to the hobby or aren't comfortable with tweaking a NIB machine.

#5 10 years ago

Michael Pupo @ Flipper Fidelity
JJ @ GEX of Colorado
Chris Marquette @ Cointaker
Trent @ tilt amusements
Gio @ pinball refinery

Those 5 distributors are well known and give good pricing. Ive personally dealth with 3 of them (Michael pupo, JJ, and Chris) - highly recommend.

Get a price shipped to your door - give them your zip code. Unpacking is fun, awesome, and simple. I wouldn't be too concerned about warranty, stern usually replaces parts of their NIBs even past the warranty phase; especially if your sole owner of the machine.

SKB

#6 10 years ago

I got mine from pinballpro.com and I was very happy with the service and communication. Best price too for me.

#7 10 years ago

Please call us at cointaker we will take excellent care of you

#8 10 years ago

I am slightly concerned about depreciation since I have never purchased a new machine. I am not going to assume that it becomes collectable (like LOTR) and neither am I going to assume that I will keep it forever. If Tron is any indication, I should be prepared to take a $1000 loss. Does that sound approximately correct?

#9 10 years ago

Chris and Mellisa at cointaker are awesome as well. That said I don't buy a pin I really want worrying about depreciation it's for enjoyment and I play them. GLWP

#10 10 years ago

Get the LE

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Mantra:

Well distributor is a personal preference, but you may want to get to know your local distributor if they have a good reputation. That way you have some close support in case you need something. I'm not sure who else is close to you but Hemi at Pinball Refinery is a really good guy, in MI and not to far from you. They can trick your machine out to
http://www.pinballrefinery.com

Sound advice. Especially if there is a warranty issue.

#12 10 years ago

Don't worry about deprecation. Buy it to play and enjoy.

I got mine from Troy @topscoregamerooms and it was a really easy process. Game arrived quickly without drama. Setup was easy size the game is shipped vertically. Just attach the front legs, gently bring it forward and rest the back on a chair to get the legs on. Then just move it like you would any other game.

#13 10 years ago

Got mine from Trent @ tiltamusements this side of Columbus. Just hop on 70 to 275. Seemless transaction. Took about twenty minutes to set up. Piece of cake.

#14 10 years ago

Call Trent 740-803-2276. That is where many in Michigan get their games and he is very good at customer service. You can have it shipped or pick it up in Ohio (2.5 hour drive). Tell him Parker sent you and he may (or may not ha ha) give you a discount.

Parker

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Don't worry about deprecation. Buy it to play and enjoy.

I am concerned, though. I have become comfortable with the cost of used machines, which is simply the cost of repairs plus the difference between buy and sell price.

I presume that equation is now different with a new machine.

#16 10 years ago

Generally speaking; a used machine is much harder to fix and keep maintained than a new one.

#17 10 years ago

Trent at Tilt is great to deal with, plus he's close.

Setting up is easy. They ship with flippers at the top. Attach the top two legs, lower the machine down onto them. Lift the back of the machine and rest it on something sturdy, or have somebody hold up the back end to add the back legs. Don't release the back box until the legs are all on.

#18 10 years ago

It comes with unpacking directions. Plus I think the directions are available on PDF at sterns website.

#19 10 years ago

Hi Nosro,

I would be happy to help you out anyway I can and also if you want any custom work done on the machine, we can also do that for you as well....New machine are very easy to unbox and set up, Stern provides all of the directions to do this, but I can help you out if you need it...

Steve
Pinball Refinery
231-740-8575

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I am concerned, though. I have become comfortable with the cost of used machines, which is simply the cost of repairs plus the difference between buy and sell price.

If you really are worried about depreciation, then don't buy the newest games. It is a gamble to see what games are going to keep their value, and which ones will lose. And the book on what will happen with Star Trek isn't written yet. If Stern comes out with some fantastic code for it, that will help. But if all the owners are upset at the lack of code 6 months from now, it won't usually hold its value.

I think it also comes down to which titles Stern re-runs. Tron was getting updates as they were getting ready to run a bunch more games. Having an update helps sell more machines. But if they are not actively trying to sell them, they kind of leave the user base hanging.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I think it also comes down to which titles Stern re-runs.

If Stern ST is going to be release in waves (like I read somewhere)...Pro, then LE, then Premium, then Pro again; there should be a lot of time to work out issues with rules programing.

Is that the plan, roll them out in waves?

I'm considering a Premium and I guess they won't be available until after Christmas.

Thanks.

Robert

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

Trent at Tilt is great to deal with

Another vote for Trent. He's an excellent distributor.

#23 10 years ago

Worth the drive to see his set up.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

It really does depend what you want out of it. The market is hard to understand these days. Did anyone think that TronLE would be up over 10k? It's not a rational price, it's an emotional price; people want that pin and they are paying for it. As for ST, I bought it because I really wanted a SR pin, and I liked the theme. It was a bit of a gamble, but I really, really like it, and I know it will stick around for a long time. I'm not a flipper, so, if it depreciates, I consider that the rental cost for the time I enjoyed it. Everyone is different, but there is something to be said about new pins, and a manufacturer that is still in business with very easy to obtain parts and warranty service.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I am slightly concerned about depreciation since I have never purchased a new machine. I am not going to assume that it becomes collectable (like LOTR) and neither am I going to assume that I will keep it forever. If Tron is any indication, I should be prepared to take a $1000 loss. Does that sound approximately correct?

Until you aren't concerned at all about depreciation, don't buy a new pin (or a used one for that matter). Consider a pin as an amusement device, an interactive TV if you will. Assume it WILL depreciate to zero, just as a TV does. Anything else is a bonus.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Until you aren't concerned at all about depreciation, don't buy a new pin (or a used one for that matter). Consider a pin as an amusement device, an interactive TV if you will. Assume it WILL depreciate to zero, just as a TV does. Anything else is a bonus.

Best advice yet.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from HemiOrange09:

Hi Nosro,
I would be happy to help you out anyway I can and also if you want any custom work done on the machine, we can also do that for you as well....New machine are very easy to unbox and set up, Stern provides all of the directions to do this, but I can help you out if you need it...
Steve
Pinball Refinery
231-740-8575

I have been working with Gio of the Pinball Refinery crew to get a friend a pin and have to say great to work with and very fair. I've also met Steve very cool pinhead. They have some great customizations/mods that they can add to the pin as well. Give them a call.

#28 10 years ago

Shameless plug for ourselves. Haha.
We have a LOT of references.
www.topscoregamerooms.com

#29 10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and help. Shameless plugs are welcome!

I will be making a few more trips to the arcade to try a few more games before making up my mind.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never lost more than a couple hundred to depreciation. I understand your concern but play then hell out of it and never look back. It's a lot of fun getting a brand new game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Machine - For Sale
Oklahoma City, OK
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-my-first-new-stern-star-trek-please-advise-a-newb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.