3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pmaino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am looking to buy my first pinball machine. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what machines I should be looking at? My budget is around 3k. Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago

3k is kinda tough, but I'd say a Getaway High Speed 2

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

3k is kinda tough, but I'd say a Getaway High Speed 2

I think 3k is not all that tough actually. There are plenty of great games in this price range. The Shadow, Fish Tales, Terminator 2/3, World Cup Soccer, Dr. Dude, Party Zone, Elvira, etc...

Tell us more what you like and we can make more suggestions based on what you are interested in.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

I think 3k is not all that tough actually. There are plenty of great games in this price range. The Shadow, Fish Tales, Terminator 2/3, World Cup Soccer, Dr. Dude, Party Zone, Elvira, etc...
    Tell us more what you like and we can make more suggestions based on what you are interested in.

All are great games but tough to get sub 3k, If I had to pick one The Shadow.

#5 3 years ago

Not really sure what I like to be honest. I used to play my buddies pinball machine Special Forces all the time in high school. That was a blast. My favorite machines that I played in arcades were Attack from Mars and Indiana Jones.

I do enjoy when there are "missions" to accomplish during the game like there are in Medieval Madness.

Hope this helps a bit.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

All are great games but tough to get sub 3k, If I had to pick one The Shadow.

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just picked up Fish Tales for 3K including a color DMD. Especially with Pmaino being on the East Coast, there are plenty of options for some great prices. Far better buyer's market than on the West Coast where I am.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

Not really sure what I like to be honest. I used to play my buddies pinball machine Special Forces all the time in high school. That was a blast. My favorite machines that I played in arcades were Attack from Mars and Indiana Jones.
    I do enjoy when there are "missions" to accomplish during the game like there are in Medieval Madness.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Haha, you have some expensive taste! AFM and MM in particular are going to be some of the highest price game you can find, but there are plenty of other great games that you can get that sense of progression under 3k. Things that come to mind immediately are "The Shadow" as mentioned before. This can run a bit over 3k at times, but if you hunt, you should be able to find something. There are plenty of modes to light that give that progression sense. Another one that has very similar progression to AFM is Revenge from Mars. It's a Pinball 2000 game that has an animated screen reflected onto the playfield. It has a similar layout to Attack from Mars, but has the added layer of the "holograms" on the playfield. It doesn't tend to be as big of a hit gameplay wise as Attack, but it's still pretty cool.

You could actually still go for something a bit more old school like Eight Ball Deluxe, in which you are trying to complete the entire rack of balls and sink your eight ball while increasing your bonus multiplier. It doesn't have any "story" progression, but it is a progressive objective game.

OOH, Black Rose may be good if you can find it at a good price. It's all about blowing stuff up like in MM or AFM and has a ton of cool modes that are really satisfying.

Finally, check out the "bang for your buck" list here on pinside:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

Hopefully that helps a bit. Good luck with your search!

#9 3 years ago

Actually some SS games may be worthwhile as well, BK, sea witch, Devils dare etc

#10 3 years ago

Under 3k is a great time to consider older games that have stood the test of time. Its possible that with games like Whirlwind, Funhouse, Taxi and other sytem 11s you could even buy 2 at the right price. Also two of my favorite cheaper DMD games are No Good Gophers, and Flintstones both which can be found under $3K. NGG is quite interactive, even more so than Medieval Madness. The pop up gophers and the slam ramp really are cool. Good luck on your hunt

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballpete:

Under 3k is a great time to consider older games that have stood the test of time. Its possible that with games like Whirlwind, Funhouse, Taxi and other sytem 11s you could even buy 2 at the right price. Also two of my favorite cheaper DMD games are No Good Gophers, and Flintstones both which can be found under $3K. NGG is quite interactive, even more so than Medieval Madness. The pop up gophers and the slam ramp really are cool. Good luck on your hunt

Good call on NGG. Should have thought of that earlier.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

I am looking to buy my first pinball machine. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what machines I should be looking at? My budget is around 3k. Thanks in advance.

This really depends on what type of pins you like. Suggest playing a wide variety of
    games including EM and early SS pins. Some of my faves from this group are;
    Gtb Sinbad, Bally Paragon, Gtb Black Hole, Spiderman, Mars:God of War.
    EM's; Bally Capt Fantastic, Flip Flop, Wizard, Williams Turf Champ, Aztec

Steve

#13 3 years ago

What's an RBION go for in the states? If you like mode based games that ones a deep home game with lots of modes.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

What's an RBION go for in the states? If you like mode based games that ones a deep home game with lots of modes.

RBION would be a great pick for him because it fits in with what he likes in a pin and just plays very well overall, but it would be a bit out of his price range (unless he is able to stretch a bit). Usually 3800-4500 is what I've seen for one of these.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atreyu:

RBION would be a great pick for him because it fits in with what he likes in a pin and just plays very well overall, but it would be a bit out of his price range (unless he is able to stretch a bit). Usually 3800-4500 is what I've seen for one of these.

Wish I'd kept mine at those prices.

#16 3 years ago

How much more do I have to spend to start looking at some newer or higher rated machines? 5k? What does that do for me then?

#18 3 years ago

IM,SM,IJ,TAF,MET,XMen, any NIB pro stern still being made.

Basically a shit ton of games in that range.

#19 3 years ago

5K would get you some good NIB stuff, but seriously, newer does not necessarily mean better. Do not discount games just because they are old. Check out some of the games people have already mentioned. Maybe even pick up 2-3 good old cheapos then you will have some variety rather than being stuck on just one game. If you DO end up spending a bit more, Addam's Family is fantastic. Some may say overrated, but it is an immaculate game IMO.

#20 3 years ago

Anyone from Long Island New York? Any good places to go play some pins?

#21 3 years ago

Your mission Pmaino, should you choose to accept it, is to go play a bunch of different pinball machines this holiday weekend.
    That should help you decide if you want one expensive machine or 2 or 3 lower prices pins.
    I say get at least 2 machines. Don't make one pin stay at home all by itself.
    Report back Sun evening and let us know how your pinball outing went.
    Cheers!

#22 3 years ago

So I am up in Vermont for the weekend and came across a great bar/arcade called tilt. They had around 10 different Pins that I played. The two that stuck out the most were Indiana Jones and The Adams family. One other cool one that I liked was LOTR as that was a more modern Pin with newer LEDs and graphics. It looks like I have some expensive taste. How much is a Indiana Jones or a Adams family going to set me back? Is a newer pin like LOTR in the same price range.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

So I am up in Vermont for the weekend and came across a great bar/arcade called tilt. They had around 10 different Pins that I played. The two that stuck out the most were Indiana Jones and The Adams family. One other cool one that I liked was LOTR as that was a more modern Pin with newer LEDs and graphics. It looks like I have some expensive taste. How much is a Indiana Jones or a Adams family going to set me back? Is a newer pin like LOTR in the same price range.

Let me know if you're still around. I have a pinball club (www.pinballcoop.com) around 10 minutes down the street from Tilt, and I could give you a tour. We're also officially open for fun tomorrow from 4 to 7.

#24 3 years ago

There is beautiful BSD for sale in upstate NY for $3000. Great game, great price!

#25 3 years ago

Steve - Im here until Monday and would love a tour. Are you free today or should I just swing by tomorrow between 4-7?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside