5N25H75J83G83Kf3I7c2r25676723838e1668..jpg
2012-02-28_11.11.00.jpg
2012-02-28_11.10.48.jpg
2012-02-28_11.11.55.jpg
2012-02-28_11.09.52.jpg
3D_dino.gif
#1 12 years ago

Hey all,

Just found this site and it is awesome so far, I have been looking to buy my first pin and would appreciate any help(Know of good deals?) or advice in the Seattle WA area.

I saw some machines on craigslist like Junkyard(3000) and Rocky and Bullwinkle(2500), I don't know much about either of these machines so I am not sure if I should make an offer on these machines or wait for something else to come up for my first pin (And likely only pin for awhile)

#2 12 years ago

Just browse this site for a couple weeks before you buy anything. You can learn a lot that way.

#3 12 years ago

It will also help you get a hang of pricing. Both those pins are higher priced than average.

#4 12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I will hold off on buying anything for awhile then and continue to monitor these forums.

Another question, since pinball machines can sell for a good chunk of money; what is the preferred way to handle transactions? I don't know much about paypal so I am not sure if there is a buyer protection there if the merchandise isn't delivered or is faulty etc...

#5 12 years ago

My guess is that in person cash is the best way to handle transactions. Donno about paypal for large amounts of money...

#6 12 years ago

This will at least give you a pricing baseline to work with.

http://www.mindformation.com/cgi-bin/ebaypins.pl

#7 12 years ago

I would say for a first pin, buy eather a NIB , or something used, cheap, that works, and really close to you.

#8 12 years ago

For a first pin buy something that works. I would get to know people on here and rgp. If you can meet a few of them as many will show you what they know. Some might be willing to look at a pin with you.

The best bet is to find people on here or rgp that are selling. I am too far from you to be of much help, but if you can find another forum member close by that has had a few machines chances are you will get something working right the first time. Also when it breaks down they may or may not be willing to help diagnose it.

#9 12 years ago

Do you know the types of pins you like? EMs? Early solid state? DMDs? Brand new? Themes?

I'm not from the area, but I assume you know about these opportunities for local pinball...

Go out and play as many machines as possible:
http://pinballmap.com/seattle

Visit the Museum:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle-Pinball-Museum/131237786915560

And/or the Local Pinball League:
http://www.seattlepinballleague.com/

Also try out Visual Pinball on your computer - you can "test-drive" tons of actual machines. You'll have to search to learn ho to install it. I don't know what the latest process is.

#10 12 years ago

Really depends what you like, but when I was getting started 6 months ago I looked for some of the bang for your buck machines. Games include things like Johnny Mnemonic, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Tales From The Crypt, Jurassic Park, Last Action Hero, etc...

#11 12 years ago

My price range would be around $2-3k max, including shipping if not local, so this takes me out of the running for a new machine. I would probably want something from the 90's themed era as that resembles more of what I remember growing up in the arcades. Something like STTNG or Jurassic Park would be cool, along those lines.

Thanks for all the links, I will probably take a trip to see some of those local machines on that map soon. I must say that is an excellent resource that I didn't see when I first visited this site.

#12 12 years ago

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Otherwise you're gonna come home with a $1900 Raven.

#13 12 years ago

Very true take your time and find a game that's interesting to you

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Very true take your time and find a game that's interesting to you

+2 on that. You will be playing it a lot if it is your first and only. You may as well take the time to find the one you will enjoy the most it is well worth it.

#15 12 years ago

Yea get one you like...if you can play them on Vpin Mame or Future Pinball first. I ended up with a NGG and its tons of fun...but if its your only one best be a good one

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

but if its your only one best be a good one

Come on now, you know this will never work. For collecting pins you either have many or none cause having one is just silly Just kidding lol Before I started in this hobby a fellow collector had invited me over to check out his collection of games and I was floored to see he had around 20 pins in his basement and thought that was nuts. I told him that if I could just get one I would be happy and look at me now nearing 8 pins now in a matter of 15 months.

My advice is before you buy your first pinball machine, try to make friends with some local collectors on here or RGP. This way you can go check out their colletion and they might even be nice like friend was and showed me a few common issues and basics to be familar with cause stuff will break or need to be maintained. Also keep in mind certain machines will have specific problem(s) or common wear areas on the playfield such as:

Johnny Mnemonic might have the hand switch error glove might not be working at all or Funhouse Rudy's eyes or jaw might not be working properly. Rollergames has common magnet wear by the upper right flipper or The Shadow has wear by the Sanctum lock.

If you don't know of any local collectors you can always check and see if there is a Visual Pinball recreation of the game you are considering buying. It will play similar to the real thing and give you an idea on the game's flow, shots, animations, modes and sounds for the game. If you have never setup VP before you can read my 5 minute guide to get you up an running on a PC desktop computer I posted on a local forum here in Canada called maaca.

http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5886

There are other things to check before you commit to a machine but it is best to post on here for a price check and maybe we can give you pointers or even come look at the machine with you. Good luck and hope you find your first machine soon. Remember just because you over paid for a particular game doesn't mean the next person will so take your time and find one for the right price and stand to lose very little money.

#17 12 years ago

You're not gonna go wrong with a STTNG, Jurassic Park or Terminator 2...all within your price range...with some extra to spare...

#18 12 years ago

I spent months looking and researching on here before I bought one. Good luck and shop smart

#19 12 years ago

Hmm its a little out of my budget but there is a decent looking TZ for $4500 asking price on CL about a 3 hour drive from me.

It would make my wife upset but if I might be able to deal with that if it ends up being a good deal. Is this a good enough price for the look of it in the pics?

portland.craigslist.org link

#20 12 years ago

Wife nixed that one pretty fast ;(.

I will probably try to find a STTNG or JP then.

Thanks for all the advice, help everyone.

#21 12 years ago

Yes I did my research 7 years ago on this site, for my first pin. I ended up with TS and it was good for 1400 having 4 ramps, upper playfield, magnet, 5 drop targets video mode, 3 flippers. Fun But the artwork sucked. At least I had a pin though. Every home should have a pin.

#22 12 years ago

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Put on your man pants and buy whatever you damn well please!

#23 12 years ago

As a new pinball enthusiast I would avoid ST:TNG. While a great game, it has tons of optos and moving parts (cannons, subway diverters) so it can be one of the more difficult pins to maintain in tip-top shape. As your first pin, the most important criteria is that it works and will work reliably for awhile. There is nothing worse than having a wife not so on board and you bring home a pin that breaks in the first week and you are unable to repair. You'll be killed by "I told you so".

I would look for something sub 2K that is pretty reliable. NF, HSII, JP, TFTC, FT, T2 are a few that come to mind. That way, you aren't outlaying a bunch of cash on a game you may not like. Start small, get a feel for what you like and get some experience maintaining a pin. Give your first pin a full tear-down shop job so you learn the ins/outs, play it for a few months, then trade up or buy a second machine.

#24 12 years ago

I agree. AND buy the theme you like. If you're a hunter/fisher get Fish Tales. If you love sci-fi, get Terminator 2 or Jurassic Park....horror...Tales From the Crypt, etc...

#25 12 years ago

Personally, not a huge fan of T2--I think it's a machine where the theme sells it at a cost to gameplay. Not a bad, first machine, but personally I think there are better machines to be had for the same price point.

For $2000ish you might also want to consider a newer like RBION. For $3000, I'd personally try to pickup two machines.

#26 12 years ago

I agree with robertmee, with first pin I would go with a DE, they are easy to find, maintain, and find a buyer.

#27 12 years ago

Which is DE ? Can't find it in the abr list...

#28 12 years ago

Hint...

3D_dino.gif3D_dino.gif

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Which is DE ? Can't find it in the abr list...

I'm guessing Data East.

#30 12 years ago

Oh, you're probably right! I was looking for a pin name! Duh!!

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Put on your man pants and buy whatever you damn well please!

Spoken like a true bachelor.

#32 12 years ago

I know some of the more sought after games include MM and AFM, which sell from what I have seen in the range of $6k-$10k.

How feasible is it to buy a cabinet and all the parts needed from some place like Marco? Could build the cab or buy one for around $1k and get the PF for $800, I have no idea how much all the parts would cost though.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from Corny:

I know some of the more sought after games include MM and AFM, which sell from what I have seen in the range of $6k-$10k.
How feasible is it to buy a cabinet and all the parts needed from some place like Marco? Could build the cab or buy one for around $1k and get the PF for $800, I have no idea how much all the parts would cost though.

Stop right there....

You did say FIRST pin right??

Go find a Data East for sub 1k.

Learn to wrench on it a bit and then tackle the abominable snowman projects later.

#34 12 years ago

Hey, come on...you don't know what this guy's skill set is...

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from Corny:

I wouldn't mind doing that myself for an AFM. The prices people are getting for an AFM is rediculous.

#36 12 years ago

I also suggest much of the same: HS2, FT or DE games to get your feet wet. Get a working one with minor cosmetic issues and can fix it up nice as you go along. That's the route I went when I started.

#37 12 years ago

Ok, FT for $1700, 3 hours away, i've played this game and watched more videos of it. Not sure of the quality outside of the pictures but it looks good and works. Seller says new lights and rubbers.

Was going to pick it up tomorrow if no one here screams at me that its a bad deal. Anything in particular I should look out for when I view it?

I have searched and seen some sites that suggest that I should have no trouble transporting the pin in the back of my Honda CR-V, would suck to travel that far and then find out it doesn't fit.

5N25H75J83G83Kf3I7c2r25676723838e1668..jpg5N25H75J83G83Kf3I7c2r25676723838e1668..jpg
2012-02-28_11.09.52.jpg2012-02-28_11.09.52.jpg

#38 12 years ago

Good quality first game....

#39 12 years ago

Not a bad deal at 1700, but not a great deal either. Has some insert wear at the fish, and is faded, I would say this is a very typical condition FT. 1700 is a very typical *asking* price for this machine in this quality, and the actual selling price for one in this quality is between 1200-1400.

If you and the seller are happy with the price, that is all that really matters, but if you are looking to take minimal loss down the road when you go to sell, 1700 will be a little tough to get from other buyers.

#40 12 years ago

He wouldn't accept anything less than $1700, which I know is not a good reason to just cave. Maybe I am just getting antsy, but while I have just recently joined here asking for advice/help I have been somewhat monitoring ads around here and know that there isn't a wide selection. The things that do come available are ridiculously overpriced, like $2500 for Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I have only recently expanded my search to farther drives and that has turned up some nice results every once in awhile, but even those are overpriced and the seller won't budge at all.

#41 12 years ago

Nothing wrong with being antsy, just expect to pay for it. I am not sure how long it has been for sale, but myself personally, I would make a solid fair offer on it (if you want it) for whatever i was willing to pay, leave my contact info, and tell him that should he change his mind about price, to definitely contact me. Being honest with a seller without insulting them about being overpriced can go a long way.

#42 12 years ago

I always figure a rock bottom price I'd be willing to sell my machine for and use that as my actual cost to rent it.

If you keep this machine for a long time, the extra couple hundred bucks won't mean anything.

#43 12 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

but myself personally, I would make a solid fair offer on it (if you want it) for whatever i was willing to pay, leave my contact info, and tell him that should he change his mind about price, to definitely contact me. Being honest with a seller without insulting them about being overpriced can go a long way.

That sounds like a pretty solid strategy to me as well. Can't hurt to give em your best offer and leave some contact info. That way no bridges are burned.

#44 12 years ago

Those fish inserts look pretty good. I'd be happy to buy one in that condition around here for $1500-$1600. It's a tough call. Like others have said, you may find a better deal if you wait. If this is a pin you really like it may be worth it to buy it now and look for a bargain later for the inevitable pin #2. I know, I know, this contributes to "pinflation".

#45 12 years ago

Wait. Make your offer...maybe $1,400 and wait. A machine will ALWAYS come around.

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Wait. Make your offer...maybe $1,400 and wait. A machine will ALWAYS come around.

+1. Tell him $1700 is a fair price for a game that hasn't lived it's whole life 4 feet from the sun like this one.

#47 12 years ago

What is that dangling under the cab? 2012-02-28_11_09_52.jpg2012-02-28_11_09_52.jpg

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

What is that dangling under the cab?

Attachments 2012-02-28_11_09_52.jpg (229.9 KB, 0 downloads) 6 minutes old

Was the Fishtales cab really pink? That's some serious fade! But, the pf looks ok, from what can be seen of it. If it plays without errors, not too bad a price. Be sure there are no cracked ramps/plastics, etc. Mechanical issues can be fixed easily.

As someone else recommended, best to first befriend a local pinhead or 2 who can look at potential purchases with you. There are lots of things to check and watch out for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-first-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.