(Topic ID: 178596)

Looking to buy a new TV. Any suggestions?

By Noobee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0091 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0090 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Noobee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm looking to purchase a new TV for the basement. I think I have decided on a 65 inch. Considering Sony, Visio, maybe LG (non-OLED). Has anyone purchased a similar sized TV lately? Any suggestions as to features, must haves VS gimicks? Is HDR a must have or not, etc. Any manufacturer to stay away from? Will be used mostly for watching sports. All opinions welcome.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Run an Ethernet cable if you are going to be using any internet services.

I was wondering about this. My router is on the main floor. Running an Ethernet cable might be problematic. Is there any issue with length of cable?

#22 7 years ago

I have read that Visio is starting to put out some very good TVs and tends to be somewhat less expensive for what You get. They also are now including chrome cast in leu of the traditional smart tv interfaces. I have chrome cast on my primary tv and have been happy with the performance and ease of use. Any thoughts?

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Flato:

What's your budget? But lg oled is the way to go if it's in your budget. If not make sure to get full array local dimming FALD for a lcd vizio is a good budget choice

I would like to stay under 2K total, so I was not looking at OLED. I also want to get some sort of sound bar, so that limits my choices somewhat.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Vizio is pretty good up to 50 inches or so, but on anything over 60 inches they are not good for sports, especially hockey. They don't track the the balls or pucks very well. Blurry.
    I bought the Samsung 65 inch 4K curved screen last year from Costco and I am very happy with it. The curve allows for a good viewing screen for people sitting to the left or right. Essential if you have a bunch of people over.

Hmmm.... That may be a consideration, that is if my Redwings become relavent again any time soon.

#46 7 years ago

Thanks to you all for your inputs. Sounds like there are pros and cons with any choice. The technical advice is much appreciated!

#55 7 years ago

So for those others who might be interested, I will summarize the above comments....

Refresh rate and lag are important considerations, especially for gaming.
    Strong Ethernet signal is important if streaming 4K content.
    HDR is important especially for 4K blue ray and streaming 4K comtent.

I think I read somewhere that all 2017 4K TVs have HDR...

LG - seven positive comments, 0 negative comments. LG seems to be at the higher end price wise and of course many comments referred to the OLED technology.

VIZIO - five positive comments, 5 negative comments. Positives were mostly good TV if you are more cost conscious.

SONY - two positive, one negative. Not much play for Sony

SAMSUNG - eight positive two negative. Seems that most are happy with their products aside from some reliability issues.

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Noobee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-new-tv-any-suggestions?tu=Noobee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.