(Topic ID: 178596)

Looking to buy a new TV. Any suggestions?

By Noobee

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0091 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Buying a part for $100 bucks and having it fail again in 2 weeks? Spending thousands on a tv that dosnt last 4 years? Then buying another samsung (cuz "everyone" says their the best) and it barely makes it past the 3rd year.(same issue) We're talking high end models...used in my home...not left on all day.
    Fool me once shame on you
    Fool me twice shame on me
    Fool me three.....no no no I'm moving on to something else.
    If I'm not mistaken samsung has a class action suit against them for this very issue.

Exactly. The power supply issue is why I avoid Samsung. Years ago, they used to be the best, but not so much anymore, unfortunately.

#52 7 years ago

The only issue is 4K hdr tv's aren't that expensive anymore. Hell, a lg or Samsung 55 4K hdr tv starts at $600-700. With some of the advanced options they can get up towards $1300-1500, but most tv's are drastically inexpensive today compared to what they were just a year or two ago. The only exception being OLED because it is just an insanely better step above led displays

#53 7 years ago

Honestly would stay away from Vizio. I have had great luck with Samsung, in fact these are the only brand TVs in my house. Well other than my Sony CRT for my classic consoles. I have also heard that LG TVs are good as well.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

sad to see nodoby has said it yet...
    Screw the TV and buy another pin!
    How much TV do you actually watch? In out household it is under 2hrs a week. I would rather put my spare $$$ in more pins

Ha. Our house it's on unless we're sleeping.

#55 7 years ago

So for those others who might be interested, I will summarize the above comments....

Refresh rate and lag are important considerations, especially for gaming.
    Strong Ethernet signal is important if streaming 4K content.
    HDR is important especially for 4K blue ray and streaming 4K comtent.

I think I read somewhere that all 2017 4K TVs have HDR...

LG - seven positive comments, 0 negative comments. LG seems to be at the higher end price wise and of course many comments referred to the OLED technology.

VIZIO - five positive comments, 5 negative comments. Positives were mostly good TV if you are more cost conscious.

SONY - two positive, one negative. Not much play for Sony

SAMSUNG - eight positive two negative. Seems that most are happy with their products aside from some reliability issues.

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

#56 7 years ago

OLED is amazing. I'll never buy another TV unless it's an OLED or a cheapy for the shop.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

OLED is amazing. I'll never buy another TV unless it's an OLED or a cheapy for the shop.

But is it really that much of a difference than a nice LED 240 hertz tv? I'm having trouble noticing bug jumps in picture quality anymore.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Noobee:

I think I read somewhere that all 2017 4K TVs have HDR...

False... and be wary of cheaper 4K TVs that claim to have HDR. They might be able to handle an HDR signal... but may not have the panel capabilities to properly display it. Generally speaking, TVs that have the capability to properly display HDR and Wide Color Gamut have a stamp of approval from the UHD Alliance in the form of "Ultra HD Premium." Sony and Philips, I believe, opted out of that spec branding...

But, good rule of thumb, in general.

#59 7 years ago

As others have mentioned: What's your budget? That is the first question.

After much research, I went above my budget to purchase an LG OLED 55". I watch a lot of sports (and can not stand motion blurr - some people are very susceptible to this and I am one of them). I also wanted near perfect blacks when watching movies in a dark room. OLED TV's have no concerns when it comes to these criteria so I decided to ignore my budget (with my wife's agreement of course).

There are some good non OLED TV's out there but way too much conflicting marketing jargon. What looks great in the showroom does not necessarily look great in your dark basement. Also, ever wonder why they don't show a lot of fast moving sports in showrooms? Try watching a hockey game if you want to identify TV's with motion blurr issues.

#60 7 years ago

If you can't go OLED right now, I would just wait. Everything else is already well outdated tech just because OLED is ***THAT*** good. I think a little wait is worth some future proofing. I understand that TV is a rapidly evolving technology and any TV will be outdated out of the box, but this is just one advancement in the tech I wouldn't want to end up on the wrong side of.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ha. Our house it's on unless we're sleeping.

My house is the same. TV always on in the background. Whether we're actually watching it is another question, but it's on.

#61 7 years ago

TV's on sale today at http://www.woot.com/

And these work great for turning coax into Ethernet if it's already run to a room without CAT5.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZDUQVFU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

#62 7 years ago

With LG's new OLED model coming out, does the older 6p series come way down in price? Honestly I want another one for my game room, but if I can wait and save a bunch I would. Also, the new LG OLED having the ribbon cable run to the sound bar/processor is cool, but then you are stuck with the LG sound bar? 6p's still seem like the way to go. OLED has come down a bunch, but does any one think they will continue the slide in price? Like myself and others have said, OLED is incredible. Even CNET's review gave the OLED picture a almost perfect rating, which was unheard of according to the author. Really cool tech for sure, and a lot cheaper than the days of the $20k 11 inch Sony OLED.

#63 7 years ago

Cons Reports top 3 are all LG

#64 7 years ago

Buy something big and cheap. Don't be stupid enough to buy an "extended warranty." Even if it breaks in 3 years you'll be better off buying something new that's bigger and cheaper.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buy something big and cheap. Don't be stupid enough to buy an "extended warranty." Even if it breaks in 3 years you'll be better off buying something new that's bigger and cheaper.

I only get Best Buy's black tie service and only if it's the tippy top dollar tv. Also because I can usually haggle it to be included with the purchase.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I only get Best Buy's black tie service and only if it's the tippy top dollar tv. Also because I can usually haggle it to be included with the purchase.

I bought a warranty one time in my life and it was on a $3500 Samsung. With 3 months left on the warranty, a board went out in the tv and Geek squad wasn't able to repair it after trying 3 times. Best Buy finally gave me a full purchase price store credit for $3500, after owning the tv for 3 years. Not a typical warranty replacement, but I was pretty impressed. Tv's are so durable now a days that I haven't bought another warranty since, but sometimes it can definitely pay off.

#67 7 years ago

When I bought mine I looked at Samsung and Sony. Sony won by a mile.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Procrastinator:

I bought a warranty one time in my life and it was on a $3500 Samsung. With 3 months left on the warranty, a board went out in the tv and Geek squad wasn't able to repair it after trying 3 times. Best Buy finally gave me a full purchase price store credit for $3500, after owning the tv for 3 years. Not a typical warranty replacement, but I was pretty impressed. Tv's are so durable now a days that I haven't bought another warranty since, but sometimes it can definitely pay off.

That's exactly what should've happened. If they have to repair the tv three times you get store credit for the full purchase price. Pretty much the only extended warranty coverage I think is worth it. Basically no questions asked.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-new-tv-any-suggestions/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.