Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0193 (resized).JPG
argosy1 (resized).jpg
argosy2 (resized).jpg
argosy3 (resized).jpg

#1 6 years ago

I am looking to purchase an EM Pinball machine. Growing up in the mid 70's, we owned a Bally Wizard machine my family purchased new from a distributor for Bally. It was great and years later, probably around 25 years ago, my parents were cleaning out our storage and gave the machine (in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition) to a family friend whom I no longer keep in touch with. I wish I could get that machine back. Anyways, I am looking for an EM machine for my house now. I found a William's Argosy in decent cosmetic condition. There are a few things that don't work in it and I'd like some advice on the best way to diagnose it or in someone's opinion if it sounds like an inexpensive fix or not. First, the four targets in red on the left side will go down if they are up but don't reset and pop up. The kickout on the opposite side on the right will not spit the ball out. The ball return will not shoot the ball out to the lane for start of play. I am wondering if all these things are connected on one circuit and maybe that's why it's not working? Also, probably more minor is the tiny round rollover in the very top of the machine, about the two posts that make up the center lane, will not score when the ball rolls over it (it does light up but no scoring on it). I appreciate any help as I would like to buy this machine but not if it's going to cost a ton to fix it. It's one thing if I own it and things break but maybe I should just keep looking for another machine. Oh, and the price for the machine is $400 and he will deliver it to my house for free as I am located only about 2 miles from him.

#2 6 years ago

The good thing about EM machines is that they're very inexpensive to repair yourself... All the problems you described with the machine can be easily diagnosed and repaired. If you end up getting the machine, just post the problem you are working on, and we'll guide you through the repair process...

If the machine is in very good cosmetic condition, then it's definitely worth $400. If there's any problems with the backglass paint or playfield paint, you might want to try for a lower price...

#3 6 years ago

Okay. I know it's all an opinion and everyone has a reason for liking some machines more than others. If you could buy either machine for roughly the same price, would you rather have a William's Argosy machine or a William's OXO machine. The Argosy needs a couple minor things fixed such as the ball ejector won't push the ball into the lane to begin play but I have a guy who can fix this. The OXO machine is also in great shape, everything works and only a slight bit of wear showing near ball return and the top curve where ball is launched every time.

#4 6 years ago

Buy both as they are equally fun in different ways, you'll end end buying more pins down the road anyway.

#5 6 years ago

I sure would like to see pictures of this one.

#6 6 years ago

If you can afford it and have room, grab both. My 1st pin is an Argosy with similar issues. Getting it up and running took a few days of effort over a few weeks. Once you figure out how EM's work they are very rewarding to get working and easy to maintain.

The people on this site are always willing to help.

Once you have both machine working, you can always sell the one you don't enjoy. (or keep both and buy a third, a fourth ...)

#7 6 years ago

Argosy is a fantastic game. Feature-wise, it has a little of everything, and not often seen. OXO is great fun as well.

If you're worried about repairs, just as long as the game is complete, you can fix EMs with some sandpaper, soldering iron, patience, and a pair of needle nose pliers. That's it. You'll spend more money on the wax and ring kit than anything else. Worst case scenario, you might have a fried solenoid or two and a couple of blown fuses, but again, nothing will break the bank.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

The good thing about EM machines is that they're very inexpensive to repair yourself... All the problems you described with the machine can be easily diagnosed and repaired.

Quoted from ArgosySK:

If you can afford it and have room, grab both.

The only deal breakers for me would be
1) If the machine is filthy inside with vermin or poop
2) If a lot of the paint is peeling off the backglass
3) If the playfield is rough to the touch, like vertical lines from water

Even these things can be overcome but with difficulty.

#9 6 years ago

I had the guy deliver the machine today. Just what I can see so far, looks great. The flags don't go up on left side, the kicker hole on right side will trap ball but no release and at the ball return, the ball won't kick it to the lane to fire up play (at startup or after you manually place ball in play on field). A few bulbs out on top left side by 1st player score. Other than that, looks pretty clean. I think it's the original paint and it shows pretty nicely. Have the original Williams keys for door and top back panel. I'll attach a couple of pictures I took today.

argosy3 (resized).jpgargosy3 (resized).jpg

argosy2 (resized).jpgargosy2 (resized).jpg

argosy1 (resized).jpgargosy1 (resized).jpg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from tdwin2000:

If you could buy either machine for roughly the same price, would you rather have a William's Argosy machine or a William's OXO machine.

Get the OXO too if you start looking for a second pin. It is my favorite pinball. Here is some reading for you about OXO:

http://www.pecos-softwareworks.com/OXO_and_XOX.shtml

Congrats on the Argosy pick up. I have never played one but it looks like fun. All of the latter Williams EMs are winners. It wasn't until the last years of EMs when Williams began putting banks of drop targets on their pins even though the first pinball with a drop target, created by Steve Kordek, was a Williams Vagabond. Go figure!

#11 6 years ago

Congrats on your first machine! Everything you describe is pretty common and probably easily fixable. The kickouts often just need to be cleaned and gapped properly. Keep us in the loop!

#12 6 years ago

I think Argosy is a great machine. I have a project that has not been powered up yet but it is next in the project line.

#13 6 years ago

thanks. Will keep you in the loop. Got the machine (maybe because of the things not working as they should) for what I thought is a good price. It was $350 + $50 to truck it to my house. So, I'm in this machine for $400. Called a tech to come out and go through the machine and fix the things I mentioned.

#14 6 years ago

Btw, if i need to get parts for this machine, not electronic but playfield parts, whom online would you go to? The red tops on the two thumper bumpers don't look like the original ones. They have the target logo but not the white diamonds around the edge. I have searched Google but with no luck.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from tdwin2000:

The red tops on the two thumper bumpers don't look like the original ones. They have the target logo but not the white diamonds around the edge.

Some things like pop bumper caps and targets are not available for older games. Not sure if anyone has these specific items retail. You could post a "Want to Buy" ad here. Lots of people have lots of older parts stashed away.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from tdwin2000:

The red tops on the two thumper bumpers don't look like the original ones. They have the target logo but not the white diamonds around the edge.

I took a look at the Jet Bumper Caps on IPDB and, you are right. They appear to be different than yours.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=84&picno=51884

Pinball Resource (PBR) has a lot of caps, but only what it sounds like you already have.

http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm

---------------------------------------------
Bullseye Mushroom Bumper Cap In Red
Red Mushroom with White Bullseye.
Cap Fits both Old Stern(4A-317) and Williams(3B7444 or 03-7444) games the have the smaller pop bumper bodies
Red Mushroom White Bullseye Cap

$6.00ea
---------------------------------------------

Marco's has the same looking cap:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7444-9-BE

You can paint the Jet Bumper Caps to get what you need and here is one good way to do it, courtesy of Ryan Claytor:

http://www.elephanteater.com/9720/jubilee-pop-bumper-cap-restoration

Planetary Pinball has the Williams manuals online. It's a great reference when trying to find the right parts and part numbers.

The manual shows two types of Jet Bumper bodies. You might need to determine which you have, which is probably the narrow body:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/files/mobile/index.html#20

Jet Bumper caps - Looks like Williams part number 3B-7444 for Argosy:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1977-1978/files/mobile/index.html#21

Quoted from tdwin2000:

Btw, if i need to get parts for this machine, not electronic but playfield parts, whom online would you go to?

http://www.pbresource.com/ Specializing in Gottlieb parts but lots of Williams parts can be found here too.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/
http://www.pinballlife.com/
http://bayareaamusements.com/
I often find good used parts on eBay that can't be found anywhere else.

There are more, but these are the ones I use the most.

Also, I could not find the exact Jet Bumper Cap at either Bay Area Amusements, Pinball Life or eBay.

#17 6 years ago

also noticed the rollover button on the very top between the top top lanes has been replaced by a yellow one. No big deal as I think those are easy to come by. One other thing. There is an Argosy for sale on Ebay and I noticed that where the ball drains between the flippers his has a post with a piece of white rubber on it. Mine doesn't have this piece nor does it have a hole where one should be. I just wonder if slight changes like that are mid production (the post at the bottom)?

1 week later
#18 6 years ago

I too own the Argosy pin. Mine does not have the pin between the flippers. I have 2 original pop bumper tops. You can PM me and I will take a picture of them for you. One is cracked and glued......the other is perfect.

IMG_0193 (resized).JPGIMG_0193 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#19 6 years ago
Quoted from MGB1977:

I too own the Argosy pin. Mine does not have the pin between the flippers. I have 2 original pop bumper tops. You can PM me and I will take a picture of them for you. One is cracked and glued......the other is perfect.

I'm okay with the pop bumper tops having the bullseye and not having the stars. I have been enjoying playing this machine since I have purchased it a few weeks ago. The light for the spinner is set to oscillate on/off when the ball hits the lower slingshots. I have it set for free ball at levels rather than a free game since it's setup for free play anyway. My match light doesn't light up and I'm guessing that is the reason. Did you set yours up for free game or free replay at the scores listed?

#20 6 years ago

took a look at the schematic (around 7E) and your right. The Match credit goes through the No Match adjustment and the Credit/Extra Ball adjustment.

So when set to extra Ball, then no Match credit.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

took a look at the schematic (around 7E) and your right. The Match credit goes through the No Match adjustment and the Credit/Extra Ball adjustment.
So when set to extra Ball, then no Match credit.

Correct. The match light wasn't even showing up before but that was a switch. So, matchs do light up but won't score a free game upon a match. Extra balls I changed to match the card in machine (starting at 380,000 for first). So if I change setting in back to CREDIT instead of FREE BALL, it will score a free game at same levels as free ball. Pretty simple but all figured out. I had a problem with the alternating part for spinner lights and FREE BALL lanes when lit. That mechanism was off but fixed now. Installed stickers on dummy reels and all is good now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
Sound/Speakers
Apparel - Unisex
The GameRoom Store
Unisex
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-machineneeds-some-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.