(Topic ID: 140835)

Looking to buy a machine in the US that was set up for import to UK

By xtremegameroom

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I'm new to the pin world and I'm interested in a pin for sale however, it was originally setup for import to the UK and is set in British Pounds.
    Is there anything that I need to watch out for?
    If I purchase it can I change everything to USA settings and there will be no way to tell that it was ever imported?
    I do plan on changing the single slot door to a standard double slot which looks to be the only tell-tell sign that it was an import.

Am I missing anything?
    Are imports less desirable for resale?

#2 8 years ago

What game is it?

The coin door and the line cord are the most obvious signs. Depending on the type of game, sometimes the service outlet is European as well.

For the code, sometimes you have to burn new domestic ROMs, sometimes you have to set the dip switches on the MPU for the country.

Quoted from xtremegameroom:

Are imports less desirable for resale?

There is some debate about this. For some, imports are less desirable. For others, condition is king--no matter if it's a domestic or import.

#3 8 years ago

I really don't think most people care about whether a machine is a re-import or not as long as it works well. The types that do care if it's a re-import will sniff it out from the serial number, certification stickers, or whatever.

Also, if you're trying to disguise the fact that it's a re-import, you shouldn't. You should be honest about what you have and what the condition is. Anything else is going to end up with someone down the road calling you up two weeks after the sale and a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

#4 8 years ago

WPC (TAF, etc.) machines have jumper wires on the board that can be removed. If the jumpers are open it defaults to USA setting. Re-imports are no less desirable to me. The game can be a mess or excellent condition either way!

#5 8 years ago

I have had a couple. Often the power supply can be a bit hacked, I have seen some very marginal work with wire nuts.

Normally no service outlet for your tools.

I would still buy one without a second thought.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

I really don't think most people care about whether a machine is a re-import or not as long as it works well. The types that do care if it's a re-import will sniff it out from the serial number, certification stickers, or whatever.
    Also, if you're trying to disguise the fact that it's a re-import, you shouldn't. You should be honest about what you have and what the condition is. Anything else is going to end up with someone down the road calling you up two weeks after the sale and a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Thanks for the input!

This machine is for myself, so not trying to hide the fact that it's an import, I just don't want it to look like one. It will be undergoing a full restoration before it goes home.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

What game is it?
    The coin door and the line cord are the most obvious signs. Depending on the type of game, sometimes the service outlet is European as well.
    For the code, sometimes you have to burn new domestic ROMs, sometimes you have to set the dip switches on the MPU for the country.

There is some debate about this. For some, imports are less desirable. For others, condition is king--no matter if it's a domestic or import.

It's an AFM that's local.
    Can I find the ROMs online?

#8 8 years ago

If it's set up for 220-240V EU/UK supply, then you'll need to change the transformer in the machine, or use step-up transformer to plug it into (probably cheaper).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-machine-in-the-us-that-was-set-up-for-import-to-uk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.