Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bowser (resized).jpg
    CE2AC615-AAD8-4F14-8062-CF2D54E8E27A (resized).png
    IMG_0502 (resized).JPG
    03071C83-E8CD-43D5-BE68-6C7E7F900B29 (resized).jpeg
    6FFA1509-F59B-45A7-AA37-9D20DE50A55F (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0809 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1154 (resized).JPG
    otto (resized).jpg
    20170222_113940_1511192600662 (resized).jpg
    Riddles (resized).jpg
    20171118_164011-1-1 (resized).jpg
    jdog (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20170608_115016 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Not even close to a pinball topic but I thought I'd give this a shot. Looking for an English Golden Retriever puppy to buy. Been looking for months with no success. We currently have a golden retriever purebred, he's about 3 years old and it's the best dog I've ever had. This time around I thought I would try to find a lighter cream colored golden. Here is "Packer" taking a nap.

This may help:

http://heartofgold.bravesites.com/

#19 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've checked out a lot of breeders like this, didn't see that one though! I'll definitely send them an email and find out more. So far, I've really struck out on this, I've contacted more of these places than I can remember. They all tend to tell me they don't have any litters for awhile and I would be put on a "list" that might not even guarantee me a dog. The prices are all over the charts on these dogs, anywhere from $1100 on the lowest end I've found and $2,300 was the highest.

Just an FYI, it does show they are expecting a new litter at the beginning of December:

http://heartofgold.bravesites.com/avail_pups

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Agree totally, and I am adopting a dog today looks like. He isn't what I originally set out to get but he got my heart the first time that i laid eyes on him. He's even overweight and has a medical issue, but he needs help and I want to help him. I've actually been laughed at and told that I shouldn't get him by a several people and i can only imagine what is being said behind my back. It's ok though because the joy and love that me and this guy are going to give each other is all going to be worth it in the end. He just needs a chance that nobody except me is willing to give him. He's been in the shelter for over 3 months, and today he is finally going to get the home and the family that he deserves looks like.

Rescuing a pet is very rewarding. I hope you can get him up to full health and give him a great life. I always recommend rescue animals first, but some people are set on getting a pedigree animal for a variety of reasons. My brother is in the process of starting a small-scale kennel for breeding show quality labs. He does also have two rescue cats and one rescue dog.

#24 6 years ago

Yea, it says Dec. 1st, 6th, and 12th they have litters they are expecting from 3 different females. The price is $2,200 seems kinda steep?

From talking with my brother about labs, the show level pedigree labs are higher than $2000, sometimes much higher. Based on that $2200 for a cream golden retriever may not be that steep, but each breed has different price ranges and levels of pedigree.

#27 6 years ago

If you just want one as a pet companion, I recommend going to visit the breeder and see what the parent dogs look like. If they have the physical characteristics you would like to see in your dog then one of their puppies is probably a good choice. Goldens generally have great family friendly personalities so you are not likely to have any problems there.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Have you had a lab? I'm curious about a golden vs a lab...they seem fairly on par with each other, one with long hair and one short. But those were the two breeds my wife and I were looking at before we picked a lab.

I have owned a golden and my brother has had labs. They do have similar personality traits. I feel that labs are more athletic so that is something to factor in if you want to have an active dog.

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I hate to report back with what I am going to tell you guys but im not a liar either so I'm going to tell you what happened and try to make this long story shot if possible. I looked at the Basset Hound that we had the adoption pending on and liked him but still had my mind made up to take Earnest Tubbs the Beagle. So I took Earnest out and played with him for 39 minutes and decider I was going to take him. His.medical condition is looking really good and he's actually very happy too and when I took him back inside, he was actually glad to be going back to his little kennel or pen whatever u call it.
    I told the lady that I was gonna take Earnest probably but that I wanted to take the Basset out if his cage and take him for a walk outside and get to know him just to be sure of my decision. We lost our Basset hound 4 months or so ago...had to put him to sleep and we are still heartbroken over him. I've been trying to adopt a Basset but they are very hard to come by and rhey literally NEVER show up at a shelter. Anyway this Basset is a really great dog also and we really liked him and I could tell my gf liked him better than the beagle so because of how hard they are to come by and stuff we ended up taking him because we felt like we just couldn't pass him up.
    We don't get him for a week because he's got to be nuteured and micro chipped first. Right now I am sitting here with a blank face and not as happy as I should be for a guy that just found one unbelievablely awesome dog. I am really sad and beating myself up alot right now, I wont.lie to you. I shouldn't have said that I was going to get Earnest until after I adopted him but I was 99% sure that I was going to get him and I was happy about helping him.
    To anyone that gets mad and downvotes me, honestly I do not blame you if you do becsuse I'm more than a little upset with myself right now as well. I should have just kept my mouth shut about Earnest and not said anything until it happened, but I was excited. The good news is though that I am going to keep tabs on Earnest and if he does not get adopted really soon, we are going to go get him and take him in. This was a super tough decision that I made and honestly it felt nearly as bad as the day I lost my dog a few months back. This is not a happy day guys at all. Please don't pound on me too hard because I feel bad already believe me.

I don't think you should beat yourself up. One person can't do it all. I can't imagine how rescue group leaders feel when they go to a shelter to rescue animals and have to leave some behind in the kill shelters. It has to be the most heart wrenching bittersweet feeling knowing you are saving many but not all. I wish they all could be no-kill shelters. When I go to the pet stores and see the animals on adoption days at least I know they will have a comforting volunteer from the rescue group to take care of them as long as it takes to get adopted. Also, many of the county shelters in my area have stopped euthanizing with the exception of incurable pain and suffering cases. The rescue groups in my area go to the counties in the poorer areas where they still euthanize and get as many as they can before euthanasia was to come.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-golden-retriever?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.