Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jar155
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bowser (resized).jpg
    CE2AC615-AAD8-4F14-8062-CF2D54E8E27A (resized).png
    IMG_0502 (resized).JPG
    03071C83-E8CD-43D5-BE68-6C7E7F900B29 (resized).jpeg
    6FFA1509-F59B-45A7-AA37-9D20DE50A55F (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0809 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1154 (resized).JPG
    otto (resized).jpg
    20170222_113940_1511192600662 (resized).jpg
    Riddles (resized).jpg
    20171118_164011-1-1 (resized).jpg
    jdog (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20170608_115016 (resized).jpg
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Not even close to a pinball topic but I thought I'd give this a shot. Looking for an English Golden Retriever puppy to buy. Been looking for months with no success. We currently have a golden retriever purebred, he's about 3 years old and it's the best dog I've ever had. This time around I thought I would try to find a lighter cream colored golden. Here is "Packer" taking a nap.

packer (resized).jpgpacker (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Nice doggie!

10,000 puppy kisses by X-mas

#3 6 years ago

He really is a big baby.

#4 6 years ago

I was lucky to find Reagan from a local breeder...my 3rd golden and they never cease to amaze us...

20170608_115016 (resized).jpg20170608_115016 (resized).jpg
    Yes, she lays on the couch like a cat. Always has a tennis ball with her...always

#5 6 years ago

Best family member ever!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

Good choice, Golden Retrievers are awesome dogs!

#7 6 years ago

There are a handful of GR breeders in MN, but I see they call out the cream color almost separately.

http://www.sunsetvalleyretrievers.com/

http://www.mygoldenopportunities.com/

I have a red lab, and had a few recommend the breeder we picked, which helps. Before the lab we were looking at English style Golden’s, there is a breeder down the road from us but I don’t see much of the cream colored.

There was a lady at the dog park who had a “white” Golden that was just friendly as all get out, however once the temp dropped I haven’t seen her come, should of asked where she got him from.

Are you looking to get on a puppy list or immediately adopt?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Best family member ever!

Beautiful...love yout avatar also...

#9 6 years ago

So those almost white goldens are called cream? or do they have a white golden?

#10 6 years ago

Might I recommend adopting, and not shopping? There are plenty of fantastic puppers in shelters that need homes. It sounds like you're looking for something specific, but sometimes a best friend doesn't have to be "pure."

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Might I recommend adopting, and not shopping? There are plenty of fantastic puppers in shelters that need homes. It sounds like you're looking for something specific, but sometimes a best friend doesn't have to be "pure."

This!

my friends just adopted a Hurricane Harvey dog that was rescued.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Yes, I'm looking for something very specific. I want a purebred golden retriever, we enjoy having them from the puppy stage

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Not even close to a pinball topic but I thought I'd give this a shot. Looking for an English Golden Retriever puppy to buy. Been looking for months with no success. We currently have a golden retriever purebred, he's about 3 years old and it's the best dog I've ever had. This time around I thought I would try to find a lighter cream colored golden. Here is "Packer" taking a nap.

This may help:

http://heartofgold.bravesites.com/

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

So those almost white goldens are called cream? or do they have a white golden?

Reading into it, the standard colored "golden" (brown/gold colored hair) is the real color they should be. Anything other than that is not considered normal for a golden retriever, but their coats do vary slightly in color. I'm not sure how the white ones came about exactly (genetic abnormality?). People call them cream or English golden retriever. I just like the way they look, the photos others shared above are exactly what I want.

#15 6 years ago

Cream ones are very pretty in the summer

jdog (resized).JPGjdog (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was lucky to find Reagan from a local breeder...my 3rd golden and they never cease to amaze us...

Yes, she lays on the couch like a cat. Always has a tennis ball with her...always

Dude find the guy that you commissioned to paint your portrait in your avatar and get your money back. Looks nothing like you!

#17 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've checked out a lot of breeders like this, didn't see that one though! I'll definitely send them an email and find out more. So far, I've really struck out on this, I've contacted more of these places than I can remember. They all tend to tell me they don't have any litters for awhile and I would be put on a "list" that might not even guarantee me a dog. The prices are all over the charts on these dogs, anywhere from $1100 on the lowest end I've found and $2,300 was the highest.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Agree totally, and I am adopting a dog today looks like. He isn't what I originally set out to get but he got my heart the first time that i laid eyes on him. He's even overweight and has a medical issue, but he needs help and I want to help him. I've actually been laughed at and told that I shouldn't get him by a several people and i can only imagine what is being said behind my back. It's ok though because the joy and love that me and this guy are going to give each other is all going to be worth it in the end. He just needs a chance that nobody except me is willing to give him. He's been in the shelter for over 3 months, and today he is finally going to get the home and the family that he deserves looks like.

20171118_164011-1-1 (resized).jpg20171118_164011-1-1 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Thanks for the link. I've checked out a lot of breeders like this, didn't see that one though! I'll definitely send them an email and find out more. So far, I've really struck out on this, I've contacted more of these places than I can remember. They all tend to tell me they don't have any litters for awhile and I would be put on a "list" that might not even guarantee me a dog. The prices are all over the charts on these dogs, anywhere from $1100 on the lowest end I've found and $2,300 was the highest.

Just an FYI, it does show they are expecting a new litter at the beginning of December:

http://heartofgold.bravesites.com/avail_pups

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Just an FYI, it does show they are expecting a new litter at the beginning of December:
    http://heartofgold.bravesites.com/avail_pups

Yea, it says Dec. 1st, 6th, and 12th they have litters they are expecting from 3 different females. The price is $2,200 seems kinda steep?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Agree totally, and I am adopting a dog today looks like. He isn't what I originally set out to get but he got my heart the first time that i laid eyes on him. He's even overweight and has a medical issue, but he needs help and I want to help him. I've actually been laughed at and told that I shouldn't get him by a several people and i can only imagine what is being said behind my back. It's ok though because the joy and love that me and this guy are going to give each other is all going to be worth it in the end. He just needs a chance that nobody except me is willing to give him. He's been in the shelter for over 3 months, and today he is finally going to get the home and the family that he deserves looks like.

Rescuing a pet is very rewarding. I hope you can get him up to full health and give him a great life. I always recommend rescue animals first, but some people are set on getting a pedigree animal for a variety of reasons. My brother is in the process of starting a small-scale kennel for breeding show quality labs. He does also have two rescue cats and one rescue dog.

#22 6 years ago

Yea, it says Dec. 1st, 6th, and 12th they have litters they are expecting from 3 different females. The price is $2,200 seems kinda steep?

My red lab was ~$2k for first choice of the litter and a male.... kinda just said, you get what you pay for and what you want. But it is expensive :/

#23 6 years ago

I always say that you can pay for genetics now of vet bills later... (i have not researched that breeder, but in general you should not be concerned much with the up front cost of a pup so long as the diligence and genetics are there to back up the price)

#24 6 years ago

From talking with my brother about labs, the show level pedigree labs are higher than $2000, sometimes much higher. Based on that $2200 for a cream golden retriever may not be that steep, but each breed has different price ranges and levels of pedigree.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I always say that you can pay for genetics now of vet bills later... (i have not researched that breeder, but in general you should not be concerned much with the up front cost of a pup so long as the diligence and genetics are there to back up the price)

It looks like they show the family history?

http://k9data.com/fivegen.asp?ID=861298

Although I admit I have no idea what I'm looking at on that page.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

From talking with my brother about labs, the show level pedigree labs are higher than $2000, sometimes much higher so $2200 for a golden retriever may not be that steep, but each breed has different price ranges and levels of pedigree.

The average cost I've seen is around $1,800. One breeder was $2,300 and the one just posted was $2,200. Just want to lessen the chances of cancer and other issues. Our current Golden seems ok, got him off a farm! He does have a very sensitive stomach though. This time around I want to avoid a farm dog, seems like more of a risk.

#27 6 years ago

If you just want one as a pet companion, I recommend going to visit the breeder and see what the parent dogs look like. If they have the physical characteristics you would like to see in your dog then one of their puppies is probably a good choice. Goldens generally have great family friendly personalities so you are not likely to have any problems there.

#28 6 years ago

Sheesh. I paid $500 for our purebred (clean genetic history and fully papered) golden retriever. That was for a male. I was able to meet both parents and they were beautiful and calm dogs.

Fantastic dog, by the way. I've owned several breeds, and there's simply nothing better than a golden retriever for a family dog. They're highly intelligent and I don't think there's a dog with a better temperament.

Here's Ridley (named after the villain in the Metroid series).

Riddles (resized).jpgRiddles (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

It looks like they show the family history?
    http://k9data.com/fivegen.asp?ID=861298
    Although I admit I have no idea what I'm looking at on that page.

reputable breeders have been doing it for enough years and should be happy to share the sicknesses and reason for eventual death of all knwon parents, grand parents, great grand parents. Good breeders will also keep in contact with the vast majority of owners of pups they have had and sold previously so they will know of other illness/etc...

Just gotta ask the right questions and follow your gut.

There are sadly lots of shady breeders out there. Luckily there are also some very good ones.

When buying a purebred dog, meeting both the bitch and sire are the absolute minimum. You really should be provided with a wealth of information and provenance. Good breeders will also be very scrutinizing of anyone looking to get a pup, esp if it is to fullfill a xmas present/etc...

#30 6 years ago

The breeder that sold us our dog does a yearly check in. They ask for any fun pictures we might have and ask about the health of the dog. They also update us on both parents.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

reputable breeders have been doing it for enough years and should be happy to share the sicknesses and reason for eventual death of all knwon parents, grand parents, great grand parents. Good breeders will also keep in contact with the vast majority of owners of pups they have had and sold previously so they will know of other illness/etc...
    Just gotta ask the right questions and follow your gut.
    There are sadly lots of shady breeders out there. Luckily there are also some very good ones.
    When buying a purebred dog, meeting both the bitch and sire are the absolute minimum. You really should be provided with a wealth of information and provenance. Good breeders will also be very scrutinizing of anyone looking to get a pup, esp if it is to fullfill a xmas present/etc...

Isn't that what getting a pet is to 99% of people? A gift to your family and kids...
    The breeder in that link appears very transparent, I might have to make a trip up there.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Sheesh. I paid $500 for our purebred (clean genetic history and fully papered) golden retriever. That was for a male. I was able to meet both parents and they were beautiful and calm dogs.
    Fantastic dog, by the way. I've owned several breeds, and there's simply nothing better than a golden retriever for a family dog. They're highly intelligent and I don't think there's a dog with a better temperament.

Regular Goldens tend to be more reasonably priced. We got ours for $500 too. The English cream colored goldens seem to command huge prices.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's ok though because the joy and love that me and this guy are going to give each other is all going to be worth it in the end.

Congratulations! All of our pets have been adopted from a shelter. One of our cats was adopted from our backyard as a feral stray. He turned out to be one of the fluffiest love bug cats I've ever seen. I swear that adopted pets know that you've essentially saved their lives and repay you with unbridled love. All of ours have been incredible companions--even with medical issues. Good luck on your adoption endeavor!

#34 6 years ago

Isn't that what getting a pet is to 99% of people? A gift to your family and kids...
    The breeder in that link appears very transparent, I might have to make a trip up there.

I just meant that good breeders will be apropriately skeptical of people buying at this season (holiday presents) along with being appropriately questioning of anyone looking for a new family member. I find the best breeders typically have a pretty solid vetting process to make sure each pup is going to a responsible forever home.

I agree that making the trip up is by far the most important 1st step. Good luck and hope it works out!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Congratulations! All of our pets have been adopted from a shelter. One of our cats was adopted from our backyard as a feral stray. He turned out to be one of the fluffiest love bug cats I've ever seen. I swear that adopted pets know that you've essentially saved their lives and repay you with unbridled love. All of ours have been incredible companions--even with medical issues. Good luck on your adoption endeavor!

Thanks! Almost every animal I've ever had has been a stray except for two Siamese cats. I've never actually adopted, just took in a bunch of strays. My last two dogs were unbelievable strays. The first one was a pure bred black lab and the last one was a pure bred Basset Hound. You don't find strays like that very often!

Here is the craziest part of my story. The shelter where this dog is at just got in a full blooded Basset Hound, which pretty much never ever happens. I have an adoption pending on him but my heart is telling me to help this beagle so I'm going with what my heart is telling me to do..........I think at least (99% sure). I'm going to evaluate the Beagles medical condition real closely and make a decision.

You are right though, there is no better feeling than helping an animal in need. My Basset Hound that I just lost was badly injured when I found him and I took him to the vet and got him well again and gave him 8 great years until we had to put him to sleep. The fact that I helped him from certain death made our bond super strong so you can imagine how hard it was when I had to let him go. That was 4 months or so ago and I'm still deeply saddened because we lost him.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

If you just want one as a pet companion, I recommend going to visit the breeder and see what the parent dogs look like. If they have the physical characteristics you would like to see in your dog then one of their puppies is probably a good choice. Goldens generally have great family friendly personalities so you are not likely to have any problems there.

+1. I also recommend. We visited the breeder 2-3 times before taking out pup home. 1 was to check the breeder, get an idea of their process and dogs, 2, see the parents on the litter we wanted etc. and then meet the pups from the litter.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Have you had a lab? I'm curious about a golden vs a lab...they seem fairly on par with each other, one with long hair and one short. But those were the two breeds my wife and I were looking at before we picked a lab.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Have you had a lab? I'm curious about a golden vs a lab...they seem fairly on par with each other, one with long hair and one short. But those were the two breeds my wife and I were looking at before we picked a lab.

I have owned a golden and my brother has had labs. They do have similar personality traits. I feel that labs are more athletic so that is something to factor in if you want to have an active dog.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I have owned a golden and my brother has had labs. They do have similar personality traits. I feel that labs are more athletic so that is something to factor in if you want to have an active dog.

.....I'll remember that for the next dog. He is very.....mmm excited to run Great dog and has calmed down, but he is a family dog, not hunting, so a golden would of maybe been a great choice as well. As a puppy I swore I wouldn't get another lab, but @#$#@$ they are cute little bastards, great when they are tired

#40 6 years ago

$550

20170222_113940_1511192600662 (resized).jpg20170222_113940_1511192600662 (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I have grown up with many retrievers, mainly goldens and labs. The biggest difference I see is that (in general) goldens tend to be more attached and under foot. Labs have a bit more indepence and ability/desire to work under their own choice.

Both are amazing breeds.

We have switched to Tollers as our family breed, but I could see having a yellow lab again in the future.

#42 6 years ago

https://www.lussoretrievers.com/

In Connecticut, we got Otto a few months ago. She shipped his brother to Texas.

otto (resized).jpgotto (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

We got out Girl from this breeder here in Canada more a golden than a cream color...so may not be what your looking for but with the exchange rate you would pay 30% less...http://www.charisgold.com/Charis_Goldens/Upcoming_Litters.html

And they have a litter coming... good luck I have had 3 of em and love goldens...I have often thought of getting more than 1 at a time as it is so difficult when we lose them....but its just an easier transition from losing a family member to introducing a new one!

Good Luck

IMG_0809 (resized).JPGIMG_0809 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago

Back when (1987) pinball was a cheap hobby and my beloved Casey was my best buddy

IMG_1154 (resized).JPGIMG_1154 (resized).JPG

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I like golden and black labs too. Our next door neighbor has one (golden lab) but we are the ones that generally take care of it (we walk it, play with it, let it out to play with our dog). They have a lot of similarities, but labs tend to be a bit more high energy than the retrievers. Goldens are a bit more needy (as in they want your attention more), but they're generally more calm overall.

As for the hair...both shed. Golden hair is a lot longer, and it brushes a bit easier from surfaces, while lab hair is more wiry and tends to stick. A golden's hair will float more than a lab's hair.

Goldens are smarter than labs in general, but both breeds are highly trainable and and intelligent.

#47 6 years ago

Beautiful and silly cheap.

#48 6 years ago

Here’s our chocolate lab. He’s a professional goofball.

I definitely recommend a rescue dog if it’s a good fit for your family, but Goldens & Labs are great dogs.

6FFA1509-F59B-45A7-AA37-9D20DE50A55F (resized).jpeg6FFA1509-F59B-45A7-AA37-9D20DE50A55F (resized).jpeg

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Who-Dey you're a great guy for adopting that Beagle, i also have always only owned pound dogs.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

It's ok though because the joy and love that me and this guy are going to give each other is all going to be worth it in the end.

What a great day !

LTG : )

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-golden-retriever/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.