Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by heni1977
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9cf9e9b9513694ac8ade3f018bacdf71898462c6 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Hello, I am looking to buy my first machine. I have a lot of experience repairing computer motherboards and I am confident in my ability to repair a machine, I would just need a lot of research.

I am looking at a Fish Tales machine that has a FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED, BOOKKEEPING TOTALS CLEARED error. Through some research I have learned about replacing the RAM with NVRAM, but since this is a Williams machine I would need to do some soldering. I have also seen some stuff requiring other repairs that I didn't research too much.

I am mostly just wondering what a fair price is on a machine that might need major repairs, and if I am making a mistake in looking for a fixer upper?

Thanks in advance for any replies

#2 5 years ago

So basically a machine with dead batteries.

#3 5 years ago

Is it that easy? and if I want to get rid of the batteries I can solder at my own risk? Doesn't sound too bad... The key is lost though

#4 5 years ago

For a few extra bucks get a machine that works and enjoy it. Then get a fixer upper if you want to play around with fixing. just my opinion. Also head to pinball museum in vegas to get an idea of which games you enjoy.

#5 5 years ago

I believe he wants a broken machine so he can buy it cheaper, something nearly everyone on here wants...

#6 5 years ago

Dead batteries=examine the MPU above and below the battery pack area for any battery corrosion, which can look like a white or green residue but also can hide as dark grey solder joints. In this case of minor board damage, could send it out for repair or repair it yourself, but will require the battery alkaline to be neutralized well for it not to return and all parts that were hit would have to be replaced.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I believe he wants a broken machine so he can buy it cheaper, something nearly everyone on here wants...

What's wrong with that?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

So basically a machine with dead batteries.

Right. But could also be an mpu that needs replacement at about $300, so factor that in.

In fact it probably is. I’m finding fewer and fewer “found” games of that era that don’t have battery toasted boards.

#9 5 years ago

My first machine was playable with minimal work. I would suggest that route. Then in the future if you to get a fixer upper go for it! But always try and have one you can play. That way if you need to take a step back and play a few games you can.

#10 5 years ago

You may find even the toastiest of alkaline damaged boards still have some life in them if you don't mind doing some soldering

9cf9e9b9513694ac8ade3f018bacdf71898462c6 (resized).jpg9cf9e9b9513694ac8ade3f018bacdf71898462c6 (resized).jpg
    #11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rewdood:

I would just need a lot of research.

pinwiki.com has a good repository of information.

Quoted from Rewdood:

FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED, BOOKKEEPING TOTALS CLEARED error.

Could be dead/missing batteries, or the batteries may have leaked on the MPU. So, at least, you'll have to deal with batteries, at most, MPU repairs or a replacement.

Plus all of the issues that go along with a game that hasn't been serviced in a while--mechanical issues, lamp issues, coil issues, possible reset issues.

A project game is cheaper, yes, but there can sometimes be a few hundred dollars in parts that go into it. For a decent shop job, I usually spend around $300-$600 per game. But--it's that somewhat on the low side since I can normally handle pretty much any repairs on my own and don't have to send out boards for repair.

Quoted from Rewdood:

I am mostly just wondering what a fair price is on a machine that might need major repair

It depends on the condition of the artwork and playfield, and what repairs actually need to be done.

With fish tales, the cabinet is usually faded, there is typically wear around the playfield inserts, and the topper is sometimes missing. All of that decreases the value.

Depending on what state it's in and the condition, maybe anywhere between $1000-$2500.

But, if you're up for it, decals and replacement playfields are available if you want to do a high-end restoration. That's a lot more expensive and time consuming than just a shop job, and I don't recommend that for a beginner since most people just want to get a game up and running and start playing, and beginners can sometimes lose interest in a project that will take a few months to work on.

Quoted from Rewdood:

and if I am making a mistake in looking for a fixer upper?

It depends on how interested you are on seeing a project through. A lot of us got into the hobby by fixing or acquiring a broken game.

Some people just like to play, others like to repair, do research, document, collect, bargain hunt, compete in tournaments, go to shows....there are several aspects to the hobby.

If you think repairing games is in your lane, there's a lot you can explore in this area.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right. But could also be an mpu that needs replacement at about $300, so factor that in.
    In fact it probably is. I’m finding fewer and fewer “found” games of that era that don’t have battery toasted boards.

Yep, at this point, I basically assume there is battery damage on a neglected game.

#13 5 years ago

I would recommend a working machine to start.... That way you can get a feel for the hobby in a good way , and not a "going to burn this house down just to crush this damn machine" kind of way. I would just buy a cheap fishtails and play it.... It will break, just wait

Good luck and welcome to the fun!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from KerryD:

Good luck and welcome to the fun

Or addiction!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-buy-a-broken-machine?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.