(Topic ID: 22827)

Looking into buying my first pinball! Need help!

By rusted180

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by rusted180
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 11 years ago

I just recently bought my first few pins too. Some things I noticed were 1) The prices people said to pay on a here and a couple other sites were not real world pricing today. If you want a game today your going to pay a little more, it's a sellers market right now, or, wait a while until something pops up. 2) Don't get discouraged if some sales fall through, there are some sellers that evidently don't wish to actually sell, just test the waters. 3) Check Craigslist early, people watch that like a hawk. 4) Spend time with the machine, play it, open it up etc. 5) Don't be afraid to say no, it's especially hard if you drive a ways to check it out and/or it's your favorite game. Condition vs. value is highly subjective so if you have a gut feeling it's a bad deal, don't do it. I turned down two whirlwinds, it was tough to do. 6) Be prepared for some maintenance, you will have to fix stuff. 7) Make 100% sure it will fit where you want it, my space was challenging, had to measure a few times to make sure it was even possible to get them there, and it was, but not super easily.

Hope that helps a little, just be patient, but, if you have a good feeling about a game and really want it, it's usually worth another couple hundred bucks for the enjoyment factor. As for repairs, there are expensive parts, but in my limited experience it's been mostly adjustments, and maybe a broken switch, or missing a diode. Pretty easy stuff.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Matt_Rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-into-buying-my-first-pinball-need-help?tu=Matt_Rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.