(Topic ID: 229421)

(looking glass) holographic display - future of virtual pinball?

By toyotaboy

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I, like most people have probably seen this display.. Tested did a review, it's shown up on gizmodo. I didn't realize there was a kickstarter and it can be purchased now (I have no idea how compatible it is with what software other than Unity engine). So hear me out, every time a 3d virtual pinball technology comes out, the purists poo poo it.

VR headset - Oh, so just YOU get to see it? And I have to what, share a dirty headset with everyone else? pass
    BAM! - oh, you have 2 cameras that skew the image so the player can see a faux 3d image on the screen but everyone else sees a mess? pass

looking glass - everyone around can see the same 3D image floating inside a thick display. The only limitation currently is price and size:
    $500 for a 8.9" screen (like a big tablet)
    $2,000 for a 15.9" screen (small computer monitor)

Now remember, back in like 2002 50" plasma TV's were $5,000.. Now an equivalent display is $500. Who knows, maybe in 5, 10 years we'll see 40" holographic displays for $500. At that point, so long as you have coils and shakers that give you the feeling, you have the visuals, it might be hard to tell the difference eventually (other than the physics are simulated). I for one would welcome a realistic looking pinball, that never breaks down, and the tables can be swapped out via software (not storing playfields on shelves), especially if the software updates are 1/10th the price of a real pinball.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lookingglass/the-looking-glass-a-holographic-display-for-3d-cre?ref=home_featured

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-glass-holographic-display-future-of-virtual-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.