Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2881 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2877 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2876 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hello EM world - I am trying to help out a friend who is oddly attached to a Zig Zag pinball he has owned since he was a kid. I know how to fix EMs and can source parts pretty well, but I am getting stuck trying to find him the little back glass animation balls. As far as I can tell, the originals were may of catlin - or bakelite? Any idea what size these are? Anybody repop them? How about 3D printed versions? Just trying to help the guy out - he is trying to do the restoration.

Cheers,

Larry

#2 1 year ago

It looks like they are 1 1/2 inch Catalyn ball Part number 3A-6086

when I did a gottieb Soccer, I replaced them with a foosball balls of the same size.
FYI they do come different colors and sizes. So make sure they are the correct size.

from Planetary pinball parts manuals. http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK

https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/oeve/#p=146

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

For mine I used blank bingo (like the card came not bingo pinball machines) wooden balls like these (check size) so I could paint and clear them....https://www.nationalbingoonline.com/store/p/438-Blank-Wood-Balls.aspx

#4 1 year ago

Excellent! Yes, I think one of those options should work. I will tell my friend. Thanks for the input!

#5 1 year ago

This might be another option:

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/chicago-coin-industries-c-1_39/red-ball-p-7838.html

You'd want to inquire about the diameter before ordering though.

/Mark

#6 1 year ago

mcmaster carr has plastic balls in many sizes
https://www.mcmaster.com/balls/

11 months later
#7 11 months ago

Tonup69 did you find your balls? I just got a Zig Zag missing the balls as well.

#8 11 months ago

Surprised no one mad some type of balls joke...especially on this forum.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Surprised no one mad some type of balls joke...especially on this forum.

Quoted from MarkG:

You'd want to inquire about the diameter before ordering though.

#10 11 months ago

The balls aren’t that big. Pretty small balls.
I noticed the balls must be 1” or 25mm or less. Gonna buy some 1” wooden ones from Hobby Lobby and try those first.

1 week later
#11 11 months ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

The balls aren’t that big. Pretty small balls.
I noticed the balls must be 1” or 25mm or less. Gonna buy some 1” wooden ones from Hobby Lobby and try those first.

I have an original set in a Wing Ding that I recently picked up, I can try measuring them for you.

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from YourGuyBri:

I have an original set in a Wing Ding that I recently picked up, I can try measuring them for you.

Please do that!
Thank you!

#13 11 months ago

Hobby lobby has some that are close. They won’t line up correctly with the flags on backglass artwork, but they will work. I think they might have been 1/2”, but I can’t remember. The original balls are bigger than the hobby lobby wood balls.

#14 11 months ago

I believe they are 7/8". Part # 20A-8801 in ArgosySK's post above.

#15 11 months ago

I have a Williams Wing Ding (Add-A-Ball of Zig Zag) that has the 9 original catalyn balls. I'm restoring the game now so I have easy access to the balls. I had cleaned them up with soap and water and scotch-brite and they look pretty good, especially the red and greens. I took some measurements with a digital caliper and came up with the following:

They range in size from .838" to .852" or about 21.2 to 21.6 mm. In fractional size, the nearest is 27/32", that is 1/32" smaller that 7/8. I don't think the minor difference will change the operation of the game.

I know these seem like strange numbers, but I'm sure my catalyn balls are original and I'm using a Mitutoyo digital caliper. And all the balls line up with the flags on the backglass. I have 2 green, 2 red, 2 blue (which aren't very blue anymore), 1 black, 1 yellow, & 1 white.

I hope that helps.
Jerry

#16 11 months ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Please do that!
Thank you!

I believe the post above is correct, mine appear to be that size as well.

#17 11 months ago

Ok, 7/8” fits perfectly
Now to test them out.
I’ll prob dye the balls with Rit.

IMG_2876 (resized).jpegIMG_2876 (resized).jpegIMG_2877 (resized).jpegIMG_2877 (resized).jpeg
#18 11 months ago

Upkick VUK is firing,
1. not enough power to push the balls
Or
2. Balls are too light

Might be end of stroke switch too conservative or
I’m going to find the switch that powers it and clean the contacts

#19 11 months ago

Your balls need to be not only the proper diameter, but also of a proper density (mass/unit of volume), so that the kicking solenoid imparts the correct amount of force to them.

#20 11 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Your balls need to be not only the proper diameter, but also of a proper density (mass/unit of volume), so that the kicking solenoid imparts the correct amount of force to them.

So you’re saying I need heavier balls.

#21 11 months ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

So you’re saying I need heavier balls.

We all know that size matters, but so does ball weight!

#22 11 months ago

I think I might have found the problem. The black/white wire from the coil goes here.
See the missing burnt contact?

IMG_2881 (resized).jpegIMG_2881 (resized).jpeg
#23 11 months ago

Happy to report that was the problem of the balls not kicking up.
Burnt contact on the switch so not enough continuity going to the solenoid.
Soldered a blob of solder on the burnt contact as a temp fix.

#24 11 months ago

So if anyone needs balls for a Wing Ding or Zig Zag, DM me and I’ll send you my leftovers.

#25 11 months ago

Could they be used as a replacement for a couple of missing balls in a gottlieb machine?

#26 11 months ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

Could they be used as a replacement for a couple of missing balls in a gottlieb machine?

No. The Gottlieb balls are larger.

#27 11 months ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Ok, 7/8” fits perfectly
Now to test them out.
I’ll prob dye the balls with Rit.[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you ever get a chance to dye the balls? Just curious as to how that turned out.

As to the Gottlieb balls, the delrin balls come in different sizes. Just take a measurement and look online, I'm sure you'll find them. They're not expensive.

#28 11 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-dye-drop-targets#post-6018825

Here’s what I used to dye some targets.
I haven’t tried the balls yet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.