20210902_115839 (resized).jpg
20210902_115825 (resized).jpg
20210902_115850 (resized).jpg
20210902_115904 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210901_111447 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210901_111426 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20210901_092836 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Also likely need to replace the associated transistor with those.

Agreed, likely the Q3 transistor is shorted which caused R16 to blow out. Grab some spare transistors while you're buying parts: "TIP102" NPN darlington transistors.
Those resistors blew for a reason. Transistor Q3 drives the knocker coil in the cabinet that doesn't have a proper fuse. Check if that coil is shorted.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from DreB:

Quick question. Those blew for a reason.

A power supply issue would have caused many more transistor/resistor failures.
The knocker coil has had a short circuit that then caused the Q3 transistor to fail and short circuit. This put a high voltage/current through resistor R16 that caused it to burn out.
You need to do some investigation around the knocker coil in the lower right side of cabinet. Make sure the coil has a diode on it and the diode is correctly orientated. Feel free to post some pictures of that coil. That coil should measure around 11 ohms resistance from memory.

Oh, PinWiki is a great resource if you haven't come across it - it lists the test point voltages.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DreB:

Are diodes all the same or do they have values like resistors?

The primary feature of diodes is that they conduct current in one direction but act like an open circuit in the opposite direction.
If you have a new diode out of circuit, set your multi-meter to diode mode which looks something like this: ---|<|---
Place the meter leads on each diode leg.
With the meter leads one way you'll get a reading around 0.6V or 600mV depending on your meter readout.
If you swap the meter leads around, you should get no meter reading change.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from DreB:

Also R16 was installed gold band up, is that correct?

Resistor are non-directional - either way is ok.
Diodes on the other hand are directional, one end of the body usually has a band of color around it.

Quoted from DreB:

Do these capacitor go bad aswell?

I haven't experienced those particular ones go bad, they're usually rated for high voltage. You can check if it's short circuited with your multi-meter.

Quoted from DreB:

Quick boot up and I still only get 6 flashes from mpu

Missing the last MPU board LED flash usually means the 5 amp fuse at F4 on the rectifier board in the lower cabinet is blown.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from DreB:

Just noticed this madness, that can't be good? Lol. Someone got carried away with the soldering iron.

Are you referring to the replacement BR1 bridge rectifier job? It's not great - they used a bridge rectifier with lug connections instead of through hole leg connections.

My concern is the burn mark under the long white ceramic resistor, that's not normal. You should unsolder one of the legs of that resistor, bend it up and look at what's going on.

BTW, fuse F4 looks blown to me.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from DreB:

This guy I imagine?

Yes, but I don't suspect it's bad. If it measures 600 ohms it should be ok. Lift it off the board and see what's going on.

Quoted from DreB:

Noticed a cut blue wire in the coin door aswell. I'll check that resistor next.

That's for the missing centre coin chute switch. Just tape it up so it can't touch anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-values-for-these-resistors-?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.