11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Snailman
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 months ago

Is there a source that has tutorials for specific pinball machines. I would like to find references that contain tips and strategies for reaching wizard modes, getting high scores, and explaining games in depth. Does anyone know where I could find something like this? I look forward to seeing what you guys suggest!

#2 11 months ago

The best I know of is PAPA's video tutorials on their youtube, or checking the rulesheets on papa or tiltforums. Sadly I don't think there's any unified source for listing them

#3 11 months ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Is there a source that has tutorials for specific pinball machines. I would like to find references that contain tips and strategies for reaching wizard modes, getting high scores, and explaining games in depth. Does anyone know where I could find something like this? I look forward to seeing what you guys suggest!

Bowen's PAPA tutorials are great. The Buffalo Pinball guys also do a brief tutorial at the beginning of each video but are more quick hits on how to get the main features and multiball going. Not as deep as the PAPA stuff but fairly helpful if you just want a quick overview on a game.

#4 11 months ago

@ Todd Tuckey has done a bunch of videos on understanding pinball. Here is an Alien Poker for example.

-Mike

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

The best I know of is PAPA's video tutorials on their youtube, or checking the rulesheets on papa or tiltforums. Sadly I don't think there's any unified source for listing them

If you're talking about something that brings all the sources together I don't think there is. I forget the exact title, but if you go to the PAPA YouTube channel page itself, they have a specific playlist for tutorials so you can scroll through them all instead of randomly searching around - but it's just PAPA stuff.

#6 11 months ago

Pinball videos.com has as part of their search function tutorials.

#7 11 months ago

https://papa.org/learning-center/players-guide/#1526496143817-2618203f-73ce

You can sort by tutorial or competition.
    I've learned from every video I've watched on PAPA.

#8 11 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Not as deep as the PAPA stuff but fairly helpful if you just want a quick overview on a game.

Even the PAPA stuff leaves a bit to be desired as far as full tutorials go on newer machines. With just an hour of time Bowen can only cover so many rules so he tends to focus on just the popular strategies

Quoted from grantopia:

If you're talking about something that brings all the sources together I don't think there is.

Yeah, that's what I mean. It'd be cool to have a user-submitted site like pintips.net for just gathering all knowledge on the rules and play of each game together. It could link the PAPA tutorials, rulesheets, any other tutorials people have made, etc

#9 11 months ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Even the PAPA stuff leaves a bit to be desired as far as full tutorials go on newer machines. With just an hour of time Bowen can only cover so many rules so he tends to focus on just the popular strategies

Yeah, that's what I mean. It'd be cool to have a user-submitted site like pintips.net for just gathering all knowledge on the rules and play of each game together. It could link the PAPA tutorials, rulesheets, any other tutorials people have made, etc

Fair and true. He does often assume the audience knows more than they do and sometimes I can't help but laugh a bit when some of the advice comes down to "live catch perfectly every time then just hit all the shots"

If OP is looking for pure rules, download the Pinball Arcade app too. You can flip through all the rules for free. Opinions on the game aside, I find it really helpful to learn the rules on an unfamiliar game.

#10 11 months ago

I use www.pinballvideos.com and just search for the game as well

#11 11 months ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Fair and true. He does often assume the audience knows more than they do and sometimes I can't help but laugh a bit when some of the advice comes down to "live catch perfectly every time then just hit all the shots"

Yeah, there's more than a few times where they forget the simplest parts of the rules. Watching X-Men tutorial and Bowen begins talking about which modes are best to stack, how to play them etc, but never covered how to start a mode

Still trying to learn that live catch, but I'm getting there. It'd be cool to see Bowen do a series of tutorials without using any flipper skills and see how his approach would change, or just with him talking over someone else's shoulder

#12 11 months ago

Pinballvideos.com is the best for searching.
    Searching by pin on Youtube also works: it will pull up the PAPA tutorials, TNT tutorials, Buffalo Pinball tutorials, etc.
    It will not capture the videos that are archived on Twitch.

Pintips.net is a good resource for a few quick hints.
    Tiltforums.com is great discussion board resource for all the newer pins, including nuances when code gets revved.

#13 11 months ago

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I should have included in the original post that I am usually looking for tutorials for brand new games such as the ones that Stern puts out. The on-location place I go to often brings in the new Stern games and I often have no idea what to do even after looking at the rule sheet. I know that PAPA makes great videos on older and more popular games, I particularly like the one they did on Attack from Mars.

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I should have included in the original post that I am usually looking for tutorials for brand new games such as the ones that Stern puts out. The on-location place I go to often brings in the new Stern games and I often have no idea what to do even after looking at the rule sheet. I know that PAPA makes great videos on older and more popular games, I particularly like the one they did on Attack from Mars.

For really new games probably no one knows completely. Even the instructional text on the displays of some new Stern games doesn't know how to play the game.

Tiltforums tries to keep updated but it's not always right. Check out Dead Flip on twitch/youtube, he tends to stream all the new sterns and gets deep into them, but it's not focused on being a tutorial.

#15 11 months ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

The code changes on new games every couple weeks almost. It’s a waste of time to make a video on the rules when they change so often. Unfortunately that’s the nature of the beast. I’d say once a game is out for 6 months or more, they will start popping up.

What could be extremely helpful for you would be to go to tilt forums and search for the game you want. Reach the wiki Rulesheets Tilt thread and post there if you need clarification. That’s the best bet for up to date rules discussion.

#16 11 months ago

Wow, 15 posts and not a single Shasta and deli meats reference. Unreal!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-lessons-hurry-slots-are-filling-up-fast

#17 11 months ago

For the new machines, I find the dead flip streams help. They are not tutorials per se, but they can help you learn objectives and learn tactics.

#18 11 months ago

For new pins, I think the Wiki sections of Tiltforums.com are great.
    Also look on Twitch for various tutorials or competition videos... the competition videos often have great commentary on how to play the new pins.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 20.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside