20180818_193553[1] (resized).jpg
20180818_193548[1] (resized).jpg
20180818_193539[1] (resized).jpg
DSCN5956 (resized).JPG
DSCN5949 (resized).JPG
DSCN5948 (resized).JPG
DSCN5937 (resized).JPG
DSCN5936 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Dan63:

Fair enough. I played the Topcard at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas and it was "snappy" and responsive. It just played great. Some guy that worked on my game years and years ago said there's a way of increasing the current or something?

I hear he has his games on high tap which is a simple switching of a wire on the transformer. I don't do it on my own EMS, but most are Williams which came more snappy from the factory. But the Gottliebs I do have play fine on regular tap. I do see a lot of owners complaining they wished they had the power Williams do and high tap them and install special coils. A lot of nonsense to me though.

I don't want to jump the other guy's train, but I'm one town over and in between my own projects if a simple shop out and rebuilding pops and flippers is what you desire. I do it in my garage though so I can take my time.

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

This one's going to be fairly simple. Playfield should clean up nicely.

Weak flippers were caused by the return springs set up a little too tight and the end of stroke switches not making good contact. The left one especially.

Match unit's gummed up, but I will be taking it apart and cleaning and lubing it as well as all the score reels, the ball count unit, and the credit unit. That's all the steppers there are on this one. Piece of cake. The other minor issues I'll get to later.

Would be nice to get replacements for those clear plastic ball return guides as one is kind of jacked up. Don't know if they are available yet or not.

I just picked this machine up a couple hours ago, but since it's such a nice day, I tore right into it. Dan's way cool and it was nice meeting and talking with him.

DSCN5932 (resized).JPGDSCN5932 (resized).JPGDSCN5933 (resized).JPGDSCN5933 (resized).JPGDSCN5935 (resized).JPGDSCN5935 (resized).JPG

#11 5 years ago

Don't know if they will sell just the lane guides but here is the entire plastic set if you get enthused.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Top_Card.html

#13 5 years ago

The left lane guide is so worn, it was moved over about 1/4 inch to make it work.

#16 5 years ago

It's going to be a real humdinger.

#17 5 years ago

Since I've got nothing better to do, I'm going to dig into the score reels next to get them out of the way and hopefully leave them with years of trouble free operation.

If it was a Bally or Williams, I could do them in about 10 minutes each with my eyes shut. But no! Let's over engineer the shit out of them to no real advantage except maybe saving a few bucks on materials. Gotta be careful or the cheap painted numbers will come right off during cleaning. Thank goodness there's only four of them.
DSCN5936 (resized).JPGDSCN5936 (resized).JPG

#18 5 years ago

Nice item.

Whatever you do, don't drop the tiny nut that holds the switch stack in place.

DSCN5937 (resized).JPGDSCN5937 (resized).JPG
#20 5 years ago

I got one score reel done.

That's enough for today.

#21 5 years ago

I not only got that done, but I also changed the oil in a buddy's car today.

For doing that he said he would pick me up something from this fancy Chinese restaurant they were going to. I said cool, get me some house special chow mein and two piece bbq spare rib. So he just shows up with a plate of mostly vegetables and a few small pieces of chicken and a half a tub of white rice. And a fortune cookie. No chow mein, no spare rib. I'm like WTF? His fortune is next time he gets gear oil in his engine.

#23 5 years ago

Some place they drive a little further to, supposedly a step up from Panda Express, but I didn't see it. It's all good. He's bringing over a Del Taco burrito so we can still be friends.

#25 5 years ago

Neither one looks any good. The one that's original is worn to heck and the other one looks like a makeshift replacement.

But since I've been given the rest of the day off, I may get that second score reel done today.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

You’ll get better with more practice.

They must have been working overtime when they engineered these things.

"I don't care if you have to stay here all night! We're gonna go over it and over it until you get it right!"

1 week later
#28 5 years ago

Backbox work completed, playfield thoroughly cleaned and waxed, and all bulbs replaced with 44s as requested. I do however always put 55s in the pop bumpers as they are lower profile and less likely to put that burn mark on the caps.

A few more things to do and it should be ready for those new plastics when they get here.

DSCN5948 (resized).JPGDSCN5948 (resized).JPGDSCN5949 (resized).JPGDSCN5949 (resized).JPG
#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Dan63:

Not looking for some big business type just someone who has a passion for this and take pride in their work.

That's me!

#33 5 years ago

It's easier than digging a big hole in the backyard for a pool. Which in this kind of weather is becoming more and more of a reality the more I think about it.

1 week later
#34 5 years ago

OK Dan,

Good news. It's all working now and there were only a few flaky bulb sockets that I went ahead and took care of. Just need those plastics now.

This little side job has inspired me to maybe make it somewhat of a career. Not everybody's as patient as you though.

DSCN5956 (resized).JPGDSCN5956 (resized).JPG
#37 5 years ago

He bought the plastics, I supplied the rubbers, bulbs and balls. There were no other parts required. $250

#40 5 years ago

I didn't keep track of the hours but it was a few here and a few there. Not the most complicated machine, that's for sure.

#42 5 years ago

Not to mention the pizza.

#45 5 years ago

I finally had time to finish it up today replacing a couple of the flaky bulb sockets that would not be fixed.

I had never played this one before, but got a few test games on it today.

Rolled it on the second game with eight replays! Two by score, six by special.

Yeah, this is probably one I would have played back in the day when pocket change wasn't so easy to come by.

I don't know about this "high tap" thing, but it does play snappy and fast.

It's ready to go!

#47 5 years ago
download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg
#49 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

The high tap is probably making the game far too easy. Too easy for you to ram the ball up and hit a target, too easy for the pop bumpers to take out targets too. When Top card is fully shopped and/or souped up, you pretty much have to move the target posts out to the "conservative" setting to return the game to being a challenge and not a replay fest.

I had it on regular tap, but since I had the soldering iron out while he was here I moved it over and gave him the option. He liked it that way, so that's the way I left it. Same with the posts. If he changes his mind, it is easy to switch.

I have all mine on regular tap, and usually set up as hard as can be. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

No, you are an accomplished player that wants the challenge to remain when playing your games. No disrespect to the OP but some amateur owners just want that extra advantage that High Tap gives them. To them, it may be "Funner". To others, it probably destroys the fun.

Thanks! I've had a bit of practice.

But for me, big flippers on EMs in general destroy the challenge and fun. Especially when playing for free now (well not exactly free). And don't put one of those pop up posts in between them...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-tech-in-southern-ca?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.