(Topic ID: 189627)

Looking for tech help near Olympia, WA. Anyone make house calls?

By harryhoudini

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Trying to troubleshoot a Flipper Football, mostly for fun. I need some advice on where to test next to know is dead.. game does not boot. Unsure if it is CPU or DMD. Assuming CPU otherwise I would expect some GI or Sounds but maybe the DMD is dead and the game is waiting for a prompt to continue? Would love to have someone come out for an hour and pay them, or even over the phone.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks, sadly I think I've covered the basics there. I can confirm power output again but I don't think that's it. I just have a non-responsive game without much else to go on and I'm not electronics genius. I also have a high-speed project. Not sure if you know Welby but I was referred to him via the PNW Pinball FB group and am going to call him later today. Sounds like he might have some experience so i'll ask if he can help. I was hoping to toss some money towards someone who can come over and mess around with some pins.

#4 6 years ago

AH now I'm putting two and two together. You work with Welby, small pinball town.

I have like 3 games I could use someone with PCB knowledge to come look at with a logic probe. I've done almost all the troubleshooting but now I'm going to blindly replace transistors and such since I don't know how to go further with diagnostics and don't have a logic probe. Really don't want to move the games, especially 3-4 of them, to get someone to look at the board.

High speed left sling doesn't work, looking at replacing TIP122, one string of lights doesn't work (haven't traced yet)
Jurassic Park one set of lights doesn't work, looking at replacing a TIP122
Flipper football no boot (just spoke to Welby about this)
Cyclone one string of lights (and a few others)

Didn't want someone to do all the fixing, just help diagnose and I'd pay them for their time.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks YeOldPinPlayer

KenLayton Was that the on for sale on CL? Saw someone post that to the FB group and then someone snatched it up. Yeah, I called about the transistor. I'm about 20 mins from downtown so I haven't made it in yet to grab it. Glad to know you guys are there, I usually have to order, pay a ton for shipping and wait.

GRUMPY heh... look at my post history. I keep posting, but getting responses for the Capcom game is like pulling teeth on the forums and groups. I am fairly sure on the other games, just waiting for the parts and I'll confirm. I just don't have a logic probe so going past knowing it is an issue with a board component seems tough. I need to go read more on the component testing and if I can do it while the component is installed on the board.

#12 6 years ago

KenLayton thanks, was looking at some on Amazon. I think I'll grab one soon, seems like other options of Sadly, I wish I took some sort of electronics course (didn't have them when I was in school). I need to do some learning on electricity and components, reading schematics, etc. It's fun but we want to play some pinball too Done all my own repairs so far, might as well learn some more.

GRUMPY Sweet! Please see https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-advice-on-troubleshooting-capcom-flipper-football

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-tech-help-near-olympia-wa-anyone-make-house-calls?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.