2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by purbeast
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I am still what I would consider a noob to pinball and purchased my first machine this past November. I picked up a Jurassic Park and love the machine.

The one thing that I seem to feel like I am not improving on at all is nudging.

I just don't really understand or know when I should be doing it and exactly how.

I've watched a bunch of videos about it and a lot of em don't really explain it in newb terms as to how and when to do it. It seems like when I watch those videos the people showing how to do it just make it look so easy and I am just finding it hard to really understand when/how to do it properly. The best one I've seen is the ones from ABE_FLIPS but even those haven't seemed to help me actually get better, but he breaks it down more than any others.

I don't know if it matters at all but I'm playing on a carpet with those sliders under my legs. I have definitely noticed inconsistency in me doing little slide saves where like sometimes it is harder to move my pin just a bit than others, due to how the sliders have set into my carpet. It's not like flat carpet it has a little bit of give to it. So I don't know if that could also come into play at all with my setup.

I searched for some tips too but I dunno I haven't really found a thread that has seemed to help me so I am just looking for some super basic tips to start improving. I am guessing at some point it will just click because when I watch videos of people who are good, they just make everything look so damn easy and natural and nudge like it's just second instinct.

#2 2 years ago

Maybe overthinking it? Really you are just bumping the table to influence the ball. That being said, it is a skill developed over time and if you are a new player you probably just need time to get a feel for it. Play some practice games where you just focus on that skill. Even small bumps at the right time can make a difference. Here’s a couple to work on:

If ball is heading sdtm, bump machine on the side, say, right side, and that will make the ball move a little to the right, and raise the right flipper to deflect the ball.

When the ball hits a sling shot, bump table from the front at the moment it hits the sling to take out some lateral energy from the ball. This tends to make the ball bounce more vertically (lateral movement around the drains is bad, you want to get the ball moving vertically).

#4 2 years ago

I only have one thing to say about it: just be careful of your hands and wrists because it is easy to overdue it before you know when it is more (or less) appropriate and you will likely feel like doing it often, and those lockdown bars are not kind over time.

#5 2 years ago

I would suggest learning nudging on an EM. It's simpler and easier to learn. Then progress to nudging on a modern game. Nudging on a modern game is more complex and there's so much more you can do. Anytime you are learning a new skill, you want to start with the simple and progress to the more complex. Also, videos can only help you with the concepts. Practicing is the only way to truly learn.

#6 2 years ago

The typical purpose of a forward nudge is give the ball additional vertical momentum. You most often do this when a ball is bouncing off the inlane/outlane post and your desired outcome is bounce the ball upward, then against a playfield obstacle that pushes the ball away from the outlane.

Top level players know when a nudge at the upper part of the playfield is likely to keep the ball out of danger.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from purbeast:

I am still what I would consider a noob to pinball and purchased my first machine this past November. I picked up a Jurassic Park and love the machine.
    The one thing that I seem to feel like I am not improving on at all is nudging.
    I just don't really understand or know when I should be doing it and exactly how.
    I've watched a bunch of videos about it and a lot of em don't really explain it in newb terms as to how and when to do it. It seems like when I watch those videos the people showing how to do it just make it look so easy and I am just finding it hard to really understand when/how to do it properly. The best one I've seen is the ones from ABE_FLIPS but even those haven't seemed to help me actually get better, but he breaks it down more than any others.
    I don't know if it matters at all but I'm playing on a carpet with those sliders under my legs. I have definitely noticed inconsistency in me doing little slide saves where like sometimes it is harder to move my pin just a bit than others, due to how the sliders have set into my carpet. It's not like flat carpet it has a little bit of give to it. So I don't know if that could also come into play at all with my setup.
    I searched for some tips too but I dunno I haven't really found a thread that has seemed to help me so I am just looking for some super basic tips to start improving. I am guessing at some point it will just click because when I watch videos of people who are good, they just make everything look so damn easy and natural and nudge like it's just second instinct.

Hey there, thanks for the insight!
    I asked some professional players on certain nudging moves they just did. Most of the time they couldn`t explain what they did exactly.
    I often hear that they are not sure how it affects the ball, but "it seems to work".

The best advice I can give you is that you have to experience the effect of a nudge to understand it, thus using it properly next time.

That means you have to try out different things on the same situation. At one point you will notice a nice effect on the ball and you keep repeating that nudge in that type of situation.
    I still have those moments where I learn new applications of nudging (different angle, timing, technique, situation...).
    You could start with left/right nudges to get the ball out of the danger zone. That is straight forward and easy to understand.
    Step by step you will get better.

#8 1 year ago

Yeah ABE_FLIPS I really enjoy all your videos I just wish you had more new ones out

Thanks for all the tips.

From what it sounds like, it really just boils down to me practicing and playing more which makes sense lol.

One thing I did notice today, when I saw a random Dead Flip video linked where it was an archive of him streaming Elvira, was his hand placement. He places his hands way more "on top" of the pin than I do. Mine are nearly flat against the side of the machine with the part right below my thumb barely resting on the top corner. He had his hand way more over the top than I did.

I then just tried that grip with my pin off and immediately I noticed it was much easier to nudge the machine left/right than the way I had my hands placed.

Next time I play which is hopefully tonight a little bit, I can give it a try with that grip and see how it goes. I think it will take a little bit to get used to but I am curious to see if it makes any difference with my nudging.

I also liked in that stream that it actually has a camera on his hands. Every time he did a nudge something that moved the machine, I skipped back to see his hands when he did it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-some-tips-with-nudging and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.